Tonights Dinner At The Old Folks Home Assisted Living

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Lon Tanner, Apr 7, 2017.

1. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

Did you make a complaint Lon.. and did they offer you something else?

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  2. Ruby Begonia

Ruby Begonia Supreme Member
    Registered

I have seen 3 recipes for "English" beef stew and all 3 had sweeteners in them. Otherwise, they were pretty much the same as any other beef stew. Vegetables varied.

So, it could be the sweet and/or the suet dumplings they put on it.

Belgium uses beers, and etc. in their stews I've been told.

Sunday I did make a beef and mushroom stew from a recipe by a lady in Scotland that used a tablespoon of Dundee orange marmalade in it. (the other 2 used sugar) I did not make the suet dumplings. It was good.

Lois Winters and Beth Gallagher like this.
  3. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I have to say, adding sweet to beef stew sounds a little yucky, Ruby. :p I don't put dumplings on mine, either.

I make beef stew just like my mama did; toss the stew meat in seasoned flour, lightly brown in a small amount of oil, dump in a sliced onion and a clove of garlic, add beef broth, simmer for a couple of hours. When the meat is tender, add in potatoes and carrots and cook until those are done. Voila'.

And of course there's French beef stew... boeuf bourguignon.

4. Ruby Begonia

Ruby Begonia Supreme Member
    Registered

You make beef stew like I do, Beth. This marmalade thing was an experiment for me, but honestly, it was good. (I used bit less than she did)

Ohhh, boeuf bourguignon... I love that. It's been years since I've made it. I used to like cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food. :rolleyes:

Lois Winters and Beth Gallagher like this.
  5. Holly Saunders

Registered

I can assure you that if you make beef stew at home here in the Uk absolutely no sugar would go in, (aside from what might be in the alcohol)... people here would be appalled at sugar being added.

6. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Holly--do English stews have turnips or other root veggies in them? I only use potatoes and carrots, and occasionally some celery...but that's it for stew vegetables.

Holly Saunders likes this.
  7. Holly Saunders

Registered

Yes generally they do, but although some people add diced spuds usually potatoes are left out and served as a side dish and more often these days sweet potatoes rather than white starchy potatoes, negating the need for added butter. . Root veggies tend to be onions, carrots, turnip or swede occasionally tomatoes..

..a good Basic British stew would be this recipe I swiped from the internet ..and one that my ex m-i-l who was a professional cook would have used..

800g shin of beef
    2 tbsp flour, seasoned with salt and pepper
    Beef dripping, butter or oil
    2 onions, sliced
    300ml beef stock
    300ml stout
    1 bay leaf
    3 sprigs of thyme
    2 carrots, peeled and cut into chunky slices
    2 small turnips, peeled and cut into chunks

For the dumplings:
    100g plain flour
    1 tsp baking powder
    50g suet
    Small bunch of chives and parsley, finely chopped

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  8. Holly Saunders

Registered

Disgusting. I've never heard such rubbish. Marmalade in the stew because marmalade is made in Dundee where she lives , which is BTW where my mother was born and raised...however that's like someone putting any kind of sweet in any meat dish simply because it's made locally. She sounds like a fool, and with a very weird accent.. !!

9. Beth Gallagher

Registered

So Hol... how do you really feel about this?? :D

Al Amoling and Lois Winters like this.
  10. Holly Saunders

Registered

well I know I hold back all the time, and you never get to see me really annoyed, and... and I won't be this time either, I'll just say how lovely and talented this cook is.... not !!!o_O:rolleyes::D

Monica Rich and Beth Gallagher like this.
  11. Milla Jonas

Milla Jonas Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Last edited: Jan 5, 2020
    Lois Winters likes this.
  12. Holly Saunders

Registered

yes but that's a fruit, and used world wide to add to savoury dishes... what she was putting in was a sugar confection

13. Milla Jonas

Milla Jonas Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Some of the weird and wonderful cooks on TV shows add marmalade to other ingredients to make marinades for meats.

https://www.taste.com.au/recipes/marmalade-glazed-lamb-2/185e7adf-8a76-48f4-aff3-8d198f835af1

Hams are coated with a mixture of marmalade and other ingredients to bake in oven mainly at Christmas
    https://www.donnahay.com.au/recipes/trending/classic-marmalade-glazed-ham

Think when we eat out we really don’t know what we are eating unless your in a restaurant that has to state the full
    ingredients on the menu

However it sounds a weird thing to add “jam” marmalade to a stew ..just maybe it’s bland and needs something to make it taste ok I didn’t see the recipe to know what other ingredients were used

I make a little stew in winter I cook a mix of chopped carrot / onion and celery in a tiny amount of olive oil
    then brown meat ,before adding stock ..... it’s horrible if all just thrown in together without browning first
    it would be bland blah

Last edited: Jan 5, 2020
    Lois Winters and Holly Saunders like this.
  14. Holly Saunders

Registered

The stupid part is that she admitted in the video that it was the first time she'd used it,, and in fact it made the stew too sweet. Well, why tell everyone else to use it then?.....surely she should have practised this recipe first (rhetoric question)

Honestly the internet has allowed some really stupid people to have their 5 minutes of fame regardless of their talents or lack of it.

Oh yes of course you must always brown meat in a little oil before cooking, otherwise it would be grey and disgusting... ( I hate stew it's disgusting to me anyway)...but whenever I'm cooking any other meat and conversely I love mince beef and potatoes ... I always brown it first

15. Tex Dennis

Tex Dennis Veteran Member
    Registered

Just found out my supper tonight will be cooked by my best friend & neighbor and will be NY Strip steak, baked loaded potatoes, homemade corn bread, salad, roasted corn on the cob and lemonade. That's what I call a great meal even on the paper plates and cups we use to make less clean up, sure nothing fancy here nor wanted.