Tomorrow Is Laser Cataract Surgery.

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Cody Fousnaugh, Oct 2, 2018.

1. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

You're right, but I really, REALLY thought about it and so glad I didn't. Since I now know how things go, getting the right eye done on the 24th of this month, won't be so scary. But, will be very glad when the left right eye is done as well. Putting in the drops daily can be (is?) a real pain-in-the-butt, but totally necessary. I keep a daily record of times I put in each prescription eye drop.

Don Alaska and Holly Saunders like this.
  2. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

I wasn't totally asleep, but really didn't feel a thing. I could hear both my surgeon and her staff during the operation. I was basically totally relaxed. Couldn't see anything going on, due to looking straight into laser lights. I had a fairly large piece of surgical tape put across my forehead and attached to something on both sides of the operation gurney. That was to keep me from moving my head.

In the prep-area, they checked my BP, pulse and temperature. A person has to have the correct BP, pulse and body temp, in order to be operated on. I was asked what vitamins and prescriptions I take and when the last time I took them and last time I ate anything.

It's a must, at least where my surgery happened, that your PCP fill in a Surgical Release to give to the surgical area. You will also be required have someone take you home and be with you for 24 hours.

You will also be required to either buy the eye drops, with your Rx Plan helping or they may give you free samples. The free samples are very small bottles and only contain 20 drops. All three drops are fairly expensive, but I did get a discount card to help with the most expensive one. The other two our Rx Plan helped with, but each were still over $100 for us to pay.

One thing to note: Obviously not all patients can afford the type of surgery (laser and customized lens) that I did. Don't know how many of the Seniors that were in the surgical center got laser or just got the regular surgical blade procedure. Just to let you know, my laser surgery, with the customized lens, cost us $1,900 for each eye. This is why we got the Care Credit card.

Hope this helps some.

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  3. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

4. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

Thanks! My opthamoligist hasn't mentioned my cataracts since he's seen what a basket case I am with my eyes.

Maybe they just haven't gotten any worse since when I first saw him.

I'll have to find out what my insurance covers...

Sometimes they surprise me....they paid for brand Wellbutrin for me which cost $1,500 for a 30'day supply because I said generic gave me nightmares.

5. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

My eyedrops were of very high quality, not generic, due to me being a Diabetic II. Guess my surgeon wanted me to have the best, but we sure had to pay for two of them. But, that's just part of having this procedure done.

6. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

Day 2 now Cody...how are you coping? :)

7. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Today, Friday Oct 5th: Wearing the sunglasses that were given to me to wear outside. These are for when I'm not wearing the protective clear plastic eye cover that was given to me right after my surgery. Only had to wear the protective eye cover the day/night after my surgery. Only have to wear it now if I take a nap or at night for bed. Am also driving now. Wife and I went to breakfast this AM and I drove. When on the computer, I do have to wear my prescription glasses in order to see some print on the computer screen, use the keyboard and read anything on my iPhone.

Still very glad I got the left eye done and know what to expect for the right eye now.

Holly Saunders likes this.
  8. Holly Saunders

Registered

Sounds like you're doing fabulously... no problems at all...

9. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

A little long, so please bear with me.

Well...…..not exactly "no problems at all". The prescription eyedrops, that I take twice a day, which is a steroid med (NSAID) for inflammation, started a little "burning sensation", when applied, on the corner of my lower eye lid. I was fine using these drops, called Durezol, for two days after my surgery, but this last weekend, the "burning sensation" really began. It was only a little "burning sensation", but enough for me to notice it. Actually, the "burning sensation" and "a feeling that something is in the eye" is two side affects of this prescription eyedrops that I read about online. Both Saturday and Sunday the eye felt fine, until I used the first drop of Durezol around 9AM. Unfortunately, like the other two eyedrops, the Durezol is a necessity for the post-surgery of the eye.

My next post-op for this left eye was suppose to be this coming Thursday AM, but, due to what I was feeling, using the Durezol, I went in this morning to see my surgeon. My left eye was checked and I now have 20/20 vision in that eye...….which is great! When I seen the surgeon, I told her about my concern (burning), since I'm going to have to use these eyedrops (Durezol) in my right eye as well. She told me the new lens, in the left eye is doing fine, but to stop using the Durezol twice a day. Today I done a drop at 9AM and she said "that's enough". She also said "starting tomorrow, only do one drop a day for the next 7 days and then stop altogether. There will be some burning sensation and the feeling that something is in your eye, but the burning won't last (which it hasn't before) and use the Systane Ultra Eyedrops you have for dry eyes (feeling that something is in the eye.....but nothing is).

Come to find out, Durezol can, and does, dry eyes out. All three prescription eyedrops are mandatory for each eye surgery and doses can't be changed unless the surgeon approves it, of which she did with the Durezol. With the Durezol, the patient can't just stop using it automatically (serious conditions could happen). If there is a problem, like I had, it's a must to see the surgeon, like I did.

Now, everything is more "hunky-dory". LOL

10. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

So, keeping the eyedrops for "dry eyes" very handy, not being on the computer or watching tv nearly as much as I did over the weekend. IOW, now (Monday afternoon), doing much better. Only using one drop of the Durezol a day will definitely help, but for the first few days after surgery, it has to be two drops a day.

11. Holly Saunders

Registered

You seem to be managing everything very well, ensuring everything is done properly and taking advice from your doctor where necessary. Well done...

12. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

Don Alaska likes this.
  13. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

That's exactly how I would do it also...I'd take every precaution my dr told me and then add a few of my own...just in case.

Now I'm thinking I need a new recliner if I get cataracts done....this one isn't that comfy to sleep in..on the smaller side.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  14. Holly Saunders

Registered

Well by the sounds of it, you would only take a few days to be fully recovered and you could just lie in bed propped with pillows , but I think a nice new recliner would be a gift to yourself for being brave... :D

15. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Another thing I have found out...…..recovery can take longer for some than others. My BIL told me last night that it took over a week for his ex-girlfriend to drive again, after surgery. He helped her by putting the eyedrops in her eyes. I do my own.

Actually, because I'm a Diabetic II, my recovery could (will?) take longer, but so far the recovery is going along pretty quickly and smoothly, except for that one eyedrop prescription I talked about (the Durezol). However, I am sort of getting tired of putting on the goggles each time before I take a shower...……...but, will have to do the same thing after my right eye is done.