Tombstone Territory

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Ken Anderson, Feb 26, 2020.

1. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

One good thing about not getting television early in my life is that there are a whole lot of old TV series and movies that I've never seen or even heard of.

I am binge-watching Tombstone Territory right now. It ran only three seasons, from 1957 to 1959. Actually, I see that it only ran for two seasons, and the third season was aired in syndication only.

As you might expect, the setting was Tombstone, Arizona, although the storyline doesn't deal with any of the actual characters of Tombstone in the 1880s, like the Earps, Doc Holliday, or the Clantons.

It's a typical 1950s Western, where the good guy always wins and people may die, but they never bleed. Still, it's not uninteresting, and it's perfect for working, as it doesn't demand a whole lot of my attention.

2. Mary Robi

Mary Robi Veteran Member
    Registered

If you ever want to see an excellent and emotional old west movie, watch a TV movie from 1999 called "Purgatory". A gang of baddies, fleeing the law, ride into a western town and slowly realize that every resident there was, well, dead and was serving their time there in purgatory until they either went....well.....up or....down. Everyone there had killed someone. There was Wyatt Earp and Doc Holiday and Jesse James and...…….

Really, really good movie.

Ken Anderson and Bill Boggs like this.
  3. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

I remember watching Tombstone Territory when I was a young-ish teenager, and I thought that Pat Conway was awesome, and also loved the theme song for the show.
    It was probably my favorite western television show at that time, although there were several others that I liked, like The Rebel. Johnny Cash sang the theme song for that western show.

4. Ed Wilson

Ed Wilson Veteran Member
    Registered

I was a big fan of Gunsmoke.

Bill Boggs likes this.
  5. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I never cared much for westerns, but my brother loved Maverick and The Wild Wild West. I don't remember Tombstone Territory at all.

When I try to watch old TV shows now, they seem so corny and awful. :D

6. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

I've watch both of the Wyatt Earp movies. Kevin Costner and Kurt Russell and like Kevin's much better.

Actually, when we lived in So California, we went to an event called End of Trail and met Hugh O'Brien. He played Wyatt Earp on a tv series. And, I met Dan Haggarty, who played Grizzly Adams on tv, Doug McClure and James Drury from the show The Virginian.

7. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

FWIW, my wife was precious metals buyer for North American Coin and Currency in Phoenix in 1981-'83. Awesome job, the Bunker Brothers were actively trying to curb the silver market, having driven the price to historically high levels. She supervised the purchase of family heirlooms brought in from Mexico by the poor needing money. She tossed these old heirlooms into the kilns.

That era caused great resurgence in interest in mining around Tombstone. Got to know many old miners as well as their ways. We took several trips down there.
    Frank

8. Mary Robi

Mary Robi Veteran Member
    Registered

What I really liked about Tombstone (the town, not the movie) was touring the Bird Cage saloon. Since it had been boarded up for a heck of a lot of years (the owner decided one day to go mining in California and just boarded the place up), it was essentially in its original condition.

The reenactment of the shoot-out was pretty hokey, in my opinion. They did have some pretty good "characters" wandering around, though.

9. Craig Wilson

Craig Wilson Veteran Member
    Registered

Not all are Beth. I re -watched Wild Wild West, The Invaders and Twilight Zone recently and found myself enjoying them again

Last edited: Feb 28, 2020
  10. Craig Wilson

Craig Wilson Veteran Member
    Registered

...and Wagon Train, Bonanza, Rawhide and The Virginian.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2020
  11. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

I see Michael Landon shows up in a couple of episodes. He was pretty young. I recognized him as being someone I should know but had to look it up in order to figure out who he was. I see he will be playing another role in season two.