Today We're Gonna Talk About... Appropriation, Cultural, Religion, Etc.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussions' started by Kalvin Mitnic, Jun 23, 2017.

1. Kalvin Mitnic

Kalvin Mitnic Veteran Member
    Registered

Cultural appropriation involves the use of one culture’s elements by a group or individual who does not belong to that culture.
    I'll start by eg.
    * Cultural appropriation might be "when non-black people wear black hairstyles associated with black cultures"). From cornrows and Senegalese twists to Bantu knots and dreadlocks.
    * When Sports teams take 'Indian' names.
    *When an Asian food dish is convoluted by Western cuisine and yet called Asian.
    * When a Totem is used (Totem pole) or an Inuit rock pile -cairn- inuksuk by the non indigenous
    Or,
    * When many of a religion's tenets are appropriated by another sect.
    Poseur ?
    Thievery? Or just an innocent partaker of some others tradition?

Hey can G-D be owned by a people?
    Did the Hebrews own god? How did the Christians then the Muslims just reach out and 'take'..appropriate the Hebrew's god? Similarly the commandments or holidays -practices switched, appropriated from other prior religions to become otherwise named as Easter?
    All religions seemingly appropriated something from a religion that went before. Misappropriated might rather be the appropriate term?

If god can't be owned by the Hebrews and has been misappropriated by subsequent sects(Christians, Muslims, even the observances of the Black holiday Kwanzaa, then I ask,can a hair style-food or totem be culturally singular?
    On the other hand who yearns or appropriates a traditional (to some) a circumcision...:eek:

Isn't it all about P.C. ? Politically correct?

Ina I. Wonder likes this.
  2. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

Bit confused by your post
    I get the first bit though - see nothing wrong in adopting another culture for style, food etc
    I love dreadlocks, could never get the hang of it meself ...........

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  3. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I liked Bo Derek's corn rows @Patsy Faye.

Agree with you about food etc of other cultures but also not sure where the rest of the post is trying to go.

Patsy Faye likes this.
  4. Patsy Faye

Registered

I prefer them on young Jamaican men, they look so cool with them
    Women tend to have them too tight, this can and does lead to baldness if hair is too often worn that way

5. Kalvin Mitnic

Registered

In brief, what goes round gets taken, as in misappropriated up to and including religious beliefs.
    Christianity took from Judaism. Islam took from both, and we now in P.C are concerned that sport teams have appropriated names as Atlanta Braves-Cleveland Indians from indigenous Americans.
    In the scheme of things, are cultural affectations as in food or hair do's worth the kerfuffle if we ignore that a god was stolen for another religions deity? Just asking. Or maybe it's a different god in Islam?
    "K' so it's a stretch but worth considering the next time you see appropriated culture issues.
    If I have a dream catcher in my home to me it would be no different then a Christian having an Old Testament. ;) Both belonged to others before them. No?

Last edited: Jun 24, 2017
  6. Kitty Carmel

Kitty Carmel Veteran Member
    Registered

Anyone see that YouTube video of the woman harassing the white guy at college for having dreadlocks. Is it appropriation or appreciation as someone mentioned. I'm not getting rid of my Native American jewelry.

Patsy Faye likes this.
  7. Patsy Faye

Registered

@Kitty Carmel - I have many Native American items including a splendid picture of Geronimo himself on me wall
    The jewellery is lovely :)

@Kalvin Mitnic - still don't get the post Kalvin - could you put it in simplified terms, I'm just a simple gal :p

8. Kalvin Mitnic

Registered

9. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I'm fine with how I am and I'm not worrying about or changing anything in my life. Only thing Ive appropriated are big hoop earrings and maybe a peasant blouse but Hungarians have them too. :)

I'm pretty white in all other aspects....except for food. I do like other cultures food.

Oh, forgot my torquise jewelry....but don't even wear that much now days.

I don't really think Ive taken anybody's God either, mine is really in my heart. Catholicism just gives me a place to go if I want.

Don't even know if I'm answering your question but this is my answer.

10. Kalvin Mitnic

Registered

In most contemplative discussions there usually is no (one) answer, there are answer(s). Not a definitive one anyhow.

11. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Forgot to add that my hairstyle goes way back.

IMG_1083.JPG

Patsy Faye likes this.
  12. Martin Alonzo

Martin Alonzo Supreme Member
    Registered

Cultural appropriation is just another in the long line of what shit can we stir up. We have since the beginning of time taken success of other people or cultures and we used them to improve our life. Than came the politico correctness that invaded the schools and corrupted the minds of the young to think improve your life by using success of other people is bad.

Kitty Carmel and Patsy Faye like this.