Tips On Freezing Bread.

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Kitty Carmel, Feb 16, 2018.

1. Kitty Carmel

Kitty Carmel Veteran Member
    Registered

I stated previously in another thread that I don't like to freeze bread. My mother always went to the day old bread place and froze bread. She would say fresh bread wasn't good for you. BS to that I say and I like fresh bread.

However I'm watching intake and not going through bread so fast. I know there was mentioning of freezing bread here. I'll check Google also. Any tips? Do you double bag, use a plastic container? I like toast so if bread is going a little stale I can toast it, even for a sandwich. Thanks.

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  2. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

Since I don't go through bread quickly I refugerate it and it seems to last forever in just the fridge.

My daughter buys bread at Costco in bulk because of the school lunches....she freezes one loaf just as it comes and Ive taken it out of the freezer when I'm there making a sandwich for the grandson and it's just fine.

She'll take it out the night before and it defrosts on its own on the counter, and then she leaves that loaf out an dit lasts the whole week...no problem.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2018
    Kitty Carmel likes this.
  3. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

When we make our monthly trip to Sam’s club, we always get the 2-pack of Dave’s Killer Bread with the seeds in it because it is one of the best breads you can buy, and Bobby really likes it.
    We put one loaf in the freezer and use the other loaf, and the one from the freezer always turns out just fine when we take it out of the freezer.
    We do not do anything special, just put it in the freezer part of the refrigerator in the door shelf.

Chrissy Cross and Kitty Carmel like this.
  4. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

I just put it in the freezer in the original wrapper. If I want to make a sandwich, I put two slices in the toaster to thaw it. If I'm making toast for breakfast, I put one slice in the toaster.

Chrissy Cross and Holly Saunders like this.
  5. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

I freeze bread all the time. It's always perfect when it's thawed just as it would have been when it was fresh.. I put it in the deep freeze.

I freeze loaves of bread..( I have 2 in the freezer now)...and if I think I'm not going to use much bread I separate a loaf into 2 slice baggies , and tie it up, and pop it either into the freezer part of the fridge or into the deep freeze..and use it whenever I need to.. . single slices of frozen bread will defrost on the counter (covered)..in an hour... but I often just put the frozen slice straight into the toaster.

6. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

Mostly I freeze ..hotdog or hamburger buns. They seem fine de frosting on counter.

7. Kitty Carmel

Kitty Carmel Veteran Member
    Registered

Thanks a lot for your replies. Next time I buy a whole loaf, I'll probably put half of it in the freezer. I did look on the internet with no new information. Some sites said to defrost in the fridge and others said to defrost at room temperature. I doubt that matters too much.

8. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

I have never defrosted in the fridge..it would keep the moisture pretty much trapped in the bread, so you'd end up with soggy damp bread I would think... I always just defrost on the counter top..still in it's baggie.

Unlike Gloria..I always find it I freeze soft hamburger or hot dog type bread rolls.. they don't defrost well..they're ok..but not great. I find they tend to crumble and break easily once their thawed, but then that could simply be down to a different brand.

9. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Supreme Member
    Registered

We don't usually eat a lot of bread and we also like different kinds. Right now we have 100% whole wheat bread, rye bread, hamburger buns and hot dog buns in the freezer. It's easy to take out just what you want and leave the rest in the freezer.

10. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

Best to freeze in its wrapper, then take out what you want, wrap the slices in foil and leave on counter top
    Wouldn't put in the fridge at all :)

11. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

I find this is true sometimes too Holly. So I usually just pop those buns in the microwave for a few seconds and then they are just fine.

Holly Saunders likes this.
  12. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I have started making my own whole grain bread, using the bread machine that i got from the thrift store. It does not have preservatives in it like bread from the grocery store does, so I have it in a Rubbermaid-type container and I am keeping it in the refrigerator. This seems to work pretty well, and the bread still tastes as fresh as when I first made it.