Tiny Rescued Goat Being Nursed Back To Health By Former Street Cat

Discussion in 'Pets & Critters' started by Diane Lane, Jul 14, 2015.

1. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

I don't know how anyone could abuse a baby goat, or let a cat or other animal go homeless. The strays I feed basically live in my driveway and back porch. I've been feeding them out back ever since the coyotes have been around, because they're fenced in back there, and have a safe place to stay when predators are on the prowl. I'm glad these two (in the video) have one another.

http://pussingtonpost.com/rescued-goat-being-nursed-back-to-health-by-former-street-cat/

2. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

Huh, a kitten and a goat? It looks like the kitten loves the goat so much. I haven't seen a baby goat yet except in pictures and videos. But we pass by a small field here where there are goats and sheep although I haven't seen a baby yet. Last week, I was passing and one goat was out of the field and into the street. Whoa, it was eating the ornamental plant of one resident there. It's a good thing that I had with me my camera so I was able to shoot it. IMG_4260 goat.JPG

Diane Lane likes this.
  3. Diane Lane

Registered

Aww, the goat looks hungry. I hope it's being fed enough. I haven't seen nearly as many deer here in the neighborhood since the large coyotes showed up, but one neighbor has a feeder, and posts some really cute pictures of a doe and her fawn, so we've all been able to watch the fawn growing via the pictures and videos.

Corie Henson likes this.
  4. Allison Schuck

Allison Schuck Veteran Member
    Registered

Diane, that is so very cute. Thanks for posting. I am an animal lover and it just touches my heart in a big way.

5. Corie Henson

Registered

Do you think the goat is hungry? And have you seen a goat that is not hungry? From what I know, goats are voracious eaters and they not only feed from plants but also destroy plants. I had seen how some goats ruined our extended backyard by pulling on the camote vines, that's the sweet potato. They would eat the young leaves but they would destroy the vines.

There was a time when goats in the neighborhood got loose to wreak havoc in our extended garden. Our cassava crop were left with no leaves, small plants lilke yam were uprooted and even the banana leaves were pulled obviously for mischief. Fortunately, the owner apologized to us and promised to keep his goats in the pen.

6. Diane Lane

Registered

I have no idea how much they eat, or how frequently. They sound mischievous though, based on your description. I've heard of people over here in the States renting out herds of goats to those who prefer not to use lawnmowers. I'd be fine with that, as long as they left everything else alone ;).

7. Corie Henson

Registered

When we toured the province of Batanes last summer, the permanent fixtures in the hills and prairies were cattle and goats. In one government agency atop the hill, the lawn was manicured. I was surprised when the caretaker said that they use goats to mow the lawn, they are the natural mowers, said the guy. But since that lawn was part of their office compound, he had to sweep the dirty refuse of the goats which would serve as fertilizer for the trees.

In a field near our home, the goats and sheep are always chewing. From what I usually see, they would bite on a clump of grass and pull it. Some others would chew on the grass until only the roots are left.