Tiny Balance Prepaid Gift Cards... Don't Toss!

Discussion in 'Money & Finances' started by Mari North, Feb 18, 2016.

1. Mari North

Mari North Veteran Member
    Registered

There were a few years that I was requesting prepaid Visa and AmEx cards for gifts because I did so much shopping online... and even bill paying. Also got paid for online work a few times with them. But anyhow, after a few years, I had quite a few of them (okay, a lot because they don't expire for 5 or 6 years usually) lying around with less than $4 or $5 on them. I never wanted to bother using them at the store, especially the real little balances. Then I read an idea online and it worked!

Amazon gift cards are available in any denomination *50 cents* or over. Well anyhow, I sat down one morning and checked my balances online for all 35 or 40 cards, and then sent myself Amazon e-gift codes for the exact amounts to my email address. Luckily there were only two or three of them that had been under 50 cents. Ended up surprised at how much I got to add to my Amazon balance that morning for something I probably would have ended up tossing eventually because they would have expired. :eek:

Von Jones and Krissttina Isobe like this.
  2. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina Isobe Veteran Member
    Registered

What a good idea to have all that money too! It's good to know that you can do that at amazon.com. Thanks for the information it comes in handy!

Mari North likes this.
  3. Mari North

Registered

You're welcome... I hope it will help someone else. I really did almost pitch all of those "almost empty" cards and although it took me about an hour, it was definitely worth it. I'd have to assume that that's precisely why the Amazon policy is the way it is... why else would they allow 50 cent gift codes to be available?

Krissttina Isobe likes this.
  4. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

Thanks Mari. I happen to have one that is right in front of me with a small balance on it. You could say that it's better than finding a penny in the parking lot.:rolleyes:

Mari North likes this.
  5. Mari North

Registered

It really is. :) Just pull up Amazon gift card/code section where it says "$0.50 to $2000.00" and send one to your email with the exact amount... grab the code out of email and add it to your account (or next order.) Glad you were able to use it. :)