Timeshares

Discussion in 'Travel & Vacation' started by Ken Anderson, Oct 13, 2020.

1. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

We have a timeshare in South Carolina and another in Virginia, but we won't be going to either of them this year. There's no point in driving nearly a thousand miles to sit in a different room.

While the timeshares are open, there will be no activities, the surrounding historical parks are closed, and even eating in restaurants along the way is a pain in the butt with Democrat COVID restrictions.

Otherwise, before China invented this virus and the Democrats decided to turn it into a campaign stunt, we were planning on staying at both timeshares this year. We have never been to the one in South Carolina and were going to fix that by staying a week in SC and then a week in Virginia, or two separate trips - we were divided on that. But now, we'll just stay home,

2. Ed Wilson

Ed Wilson Veteran Member
    Registered

Maybe you could sell your allotted time to someone.

Terry Coywin likes this.
  3. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

That's what we usually do with the SC one, but there's not enough time for that, or as much of a demand given the climate right now.

4. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

I was recently saying that I can't even make day trips for the "not sure what it's like when I get there" reasons you cited.

This is intentionally killing small businesses (Marxists hate that level of freedom), and really raising the level of risk for anyone thinking of starting one (they may do this to us again.)

Ken Anderson and Yvonne Smith like this.
  5. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

When I lived in Western Washington, I worked at a timeshare that was nearby. One of the perks was to be able to use the facilities any time that I wanted. I loved being able to swim in the pool and relax in the hot tub, as well as fishing in the little lake at the resort.
    My son, Michael, and his family lived nearby; so we would all have picnics at the park, and sometimes bought our dinner there. A steak dinner, cooked over the outside barbecue, and with baked potato and salad, was about $4 with my employee discount, and that was a favorite thing to do.
    Since I worked in the kitchen part of the time, when there was leftover food that would be thrown out, I was allowed to take it home, or send it home with another employee.
    We often had leftover pancake mix, and there were families that had kids and were happy to have the leftover pancakes and scrambled eggs.

I was also allowed to stay at any of the other same-brand resorts, and discounts on affiliated ones, so sometimes we went to the ocean and stayed in one of the camper trailers there for the weekend, and enjoyed the ocean.
    This is something that I really enjoyed, and wish it was still possible.

I was doing my Yougov survey this morning, and they mentioned a new timeshare idea, that takes people “back to the 1970’s”. Here is the picture that they showed. I have no idea where this is at, but I can see it being a popular change from the usual timeshare.

1E9886E1-2315-4CCC-B137-1381A14898FF.jpeg