Time Travel Movies; I Love Them!

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Yvonne Smith, Jan 30, 2015.

1. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I really enjoy at least most of the time travel movies that I have watched over the years, and I guess the thought of time travel has always fascinated me.
    There was a series on television called "Life on Mars", and it was about a person who would go from the present to back in the 70's, and he was usually solving some kind of a crime. The ending was not what i expected at all, but I really enjoyed watching all of the episodes of this show.

Another favorite was (of course) Somewhere in Time, with Christopher Reeves. The scenery from the old hotel was just so beautiful, and it was almost worth watching just for that part.

I think that my very most favorite time travel show has to be "Frequency" with Dennis Quaid. He is one of my favorite actors anyway, and this show has a plot that twists and turns and leaves you waiting to see what is going to happen next.
    It is not only an extremely interesting time-travel show (not sure if that is exactly the right word, but it comes the closest to describing this movie); but it is also a heart-warming story.

2. Pat Baker

Pat Baker Supreme Member
    Registered

We have enoyed some of the same time travel movies. When ever I think of time travel I think of Christopher Reeves, in Somewhere in Time. How do you feel about Doctor Who, it is not really time travel but it is interesting how he goes to different worlds at different times in their history.

If you had the opporunity to travel in time would be the time period you would choose, past or future.

I have always enjoyed the past history but only if we had the advances that we have today. A real problem I would have with the past would be the old idea of how women were suppose to obey and not have an idea or opinion of their own. Also as a person of color I would be in deep trouble with my big moutho_O

3. Kevin Matthew

Kevin Matthew Veteran Member
    Registered

I loved Frequency too, but my favorite time travel movie was called "Les Visiteurs" - which is about two guys from medievel France who get sent to the present. It's sort of a backwards time travel movie and well worth watching.

4. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I have never watched Dr. Who, and had no idea that it was related to time travel at all. I have friends who like it ; so I guess that I should check it out and see what I think of it.
    The Queen of Sheba was from Ethiopia, and I am sure that she was able to say and do just about anything that she pleased, and I think she was also considered to be one of the most beautiful women of her day.
    It just depends on where and when a person goes back to as to how they are treated, or allowed to do.
    Although I love to watch movies and shows about time travelers; I am not so sure that i would want to go back in time myself, at least not very far back. Modern life and conveniences are pretty nice to have and easy to get used to.
    Of course, we could all end up like Sylvester Stallone when he was frozen and came out in the future and had to figure out how to deal with life in that time period.

5. Kevin Matthew

Kevin Matthew Veteran Member
    Registered

Your talk about being frozen reminded me of another movie I loved - Blast from the Past - about a family who goes into an atomic bunker in 1963 and don't come out again for 35 years. They then have to deal with the changes in the world... Great movie!

6. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

I liked this video! 'the other half'

7. Hannah Davis

Hannah Davis Veteran Member
    Registered

I love the movie Somewhere in Time, that is such a great love story. It shows that two people who love each other can cross the barriars of time to be together. Have you seen the movie The Time Machine? I am referring the classic version with Rod Taylor in the lead. It may seem a bit outdated at times, especially with its portrayal of the 1960's but this is still a good time travel movie that I can recommend if you haven't already see it.

8. Mal Campbell

Mal Campbell Supreme Member
    Registered

I loved the "Life on Mars" show, it was so interesting and had an unexpected twist at the end. Other than that, I haven't seen a lot of time travel shows. But I do love historical, period movies and TV shows. Lately, I've been watching Reign, about Mary Queen of Scots. I also watch Vikings which is really interesting, a little violent, but historically the Vikings were pretty violent.

Another great one is Murdoch Mysteries - which was a Canadian production but it's on netflix. I also like Miss Fisher Murder Mysteries, and The Paradise, again on netflix. Hell on Wheels was good the first few season, but then it got too violent.

9. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Supreme Member
    Registered

Thanks for reminding me, Hannah. I really liked the original Time Machine. I haven't seen most of the others mentioned on this thread.

10. Mal Campbell

Mal Campbell Supreme Member
    Registered

I just thought of another great "time travel" show. It was called Terra Nova, and was only on 1 season. It first takes place in 2100-something, and the earth is dying. So they come up with a machine to transport people back in time. They send a group back to prehistoric time - with dinosaurs and everything. They form a colony there and are trying to restart civilization, with the knowledge of how to do it right this time.

It was such a shame that the network didn't pick it up for a second season - I think that it had a lot of promise. Oh well, another good one bites the dust.

11. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

Maybe it wasn't the right time. ;)

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  12. Gary Ridenour

Gary Ridenour Veteran Member
    Registered

yes the time machine

[​IMG]

13. Gary Ridenour

Registered

the terminator series

planet of the apes

final countdown

the star trek series. love em

14. Ina I. Wonder

Ina I. Wonder Supreme Member
    Registered

Hello Gary, good to see that you are fitting right in.
    The one I remember that didn't make it long on TV was about a black captain with his 13ish son. The ship had sails, and I always wondered what propelled those sails. I thought it had potential. And there was a bit more of the family angle to it.

15. Gary Ridenour

Registered

thank you Ina. I don't remember this TV series. yet