Time Change Do You Ever Get Used To It?

Discussion in 'Holidays & Traditions' started by Holly Saunders, Oct 28, 2018.

1. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

Every year we do it, every year we know what to expect..but we put our clocks back last night, and of course it's now pitch dark at 6.20pm... been dark since around 5pm... it comes as a shock every year!!!

Yvonne Smith and Chrissy Cross like this.
  2. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

We do it next week, always takes a few days to get used to it.

3. Holly Saunders

Registered

I know Chrissy...it's odd isn't it... I just went out to the bin, and I felt like it was about 11 o'clock everything is so dark and quiet....

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  4. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

In the spring, I really like it, because we have the longer afternoon daylight, which is good after the winter of shorter days, made even shorter by the standard time, and then as the days are finally starting to grow longer, along comes Daylight Savings time and gives us even one more glorious hour of daylight.
    Now, we reverse the process, and lose more of the afternoon sunshine and whatever warmth we have leftover. It is already getting dark earlier, and then next weekend, we lose a whole hour more of daylight , all overnight.
    Truly, I would like to see it just stay on Daylight Savings Time year around, because I enjoy the longer daylight hours, especially in the winter when they are so short already.
    As far as adjusting to the time change itself, that is not so bad now that we do not have to get up and be at work at a certain time, so we still usually keep the same schedule, and gradually work our way into the time change.

WhenI lived in Missouri, our pastor at church had milk cows (a whole herd of them), and he had to change their milking schedule twice each year, and he said that it was terrible for the poor cows each time.
    I wondered why he didn’t just milk them at the times they were used to and not worry about the clock; but I think that he had a regular job as well as the farm, so he probably had to change his milking schedule so he could be at work on time.

5. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

I hate it and wish they'd stop with the daylight savings time nuttiness. It doesn't save daylight. It just makes us adjust our clocks twice a year and messes up our sense of time.

6. Hoot Crawford

Hoot Crawford Veteran Member
    Registered

Live in Arizona now, before that Hawaii, and neither state observes day light savings time. Suffered thru it for years before that, and hated it.

7. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

I get used to it in a few days, but agree with @Yvonne Smith. I like the summer clock better, whatever that one is called. But that's because I'm not a morning person. It's always daylight when I get up. :cool:

Holly Saunders and Frank Sanoica like this.
  8. Holly Saunders

Registered

posted this on another thread..but ....

Did you know the Germans were the first to implement this change? I believe in 1917, and then we Brits were the second to follow in 1918.?

Most of the public were dissatisfied with the daylight saving changes, so finally in 1968 during Harold Wilson's government, they changed it back to normal Daylight hours, , after a Poll was taken of the public views in 1971, it was discovered that although 50% were for keeping it, 41% were not.. and the complaints about children in the very north of Scotland going to school in the dark because it didn't get light until 10am, and postmen working for hours in the dark meant that the government took the decision to to change it back... annoyingly...

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  9. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

I detest it. It messes up my everything.
    Either leave the time moved up one hour or back one hour..all year.

10. Beatrice Taylor

Beatrice Taylor Veteran Member
    Registered

The only thing that annoys me about the time change is the clock in my vehicle.

It's easier for me to adjust my thinking than it is for me to change the settings.

11. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

Same here! Soon the time in my car will be accurate again! It will take a day or two for me to remember that though. :)

Beatrice Taylor likes this.
  12. Maggie Mae

Maggie Mae Veteran Member
    Registered

I think it's stupid.

I understand why they did it way back when .. but it's no longer a necessity.

Don Alaska likes this.
  13. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Like daylight savings time much, much better than the winter time. Because of what can go on in this city, we basically try not to go out after dark, but, when the time changes, we have no choice. Heck, we won't even walk around our apartment complex in the dark. It's a safe complex, but.

I'm the one who gets to change all of the clocks, including the one in our vehicle. Both of us do have to get use to the time change though...…..mentally and physically.

It doesn't seem to be as dark here at 5PM, when my wife gets off of work, as it was when we lived in Colorado. There, at 5PM, it was like midnight!

14. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

If the problem was that they didn't want children going to school in the dark, they could start school later.

15. Holly Saunders

Registered

yes but that would have been too easy wouldn't it..*sigh*

Ken Anderson likes this.