Ticks Are Really Bad This Year

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Marie Mallery, Mar 18, 2022.

1. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

I woke up at 3 am and another tick was on me. We have been cutting vines,small trees and since its warmed up they are really bad. So now I'm locked inside except for little gardening.
    If it ain't one thing its another. Why is it that the butterfly's and bees are disappearing but the darn disease carrying blood suckers are doing great!!!

2. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I spend a fair amount of time in the woods, including sometimes spending nights in the woods, and I strongly suspect that Maine has ticks because the state spends a good amount of money warning us about them, but I haven't seen a tick in the 22 years that I've been here. When I lived in Michigan, I'd find ticks on me often when I came in from the woods, or even in the fields.

Marie Mallery likes this.
  3. Marie Mallery

Registered

LOL I wish . I'm still putting Benadryl on the bites they itch for days. Hubby found some on him too but only about 1 or 2 a day when he helped me do clearing, mostly he works on these two old vehicles while I work in woods. Its amazing the vines I've cleared and hauled to the back field. A little here and a little there gets it done.

4. Jeff Elohim

Jeff Elohim Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Not to be macabe or anything like that, but how many ticks can you collect in a glass of water with a drop of dawn original dish soap ?

If you can get fifty or more, there is a thing called bug juice you can make yourself and spray around the yard where the ticks are and the ticks either die or go away for a few months.

5. Marie Mallery

Registered

Oh no thank goodness we can't collect that many maybe if we are in the woods a month.
    Plus I wouldn't trust that stuff, Lymm disease possible.

6. Jeff Elohim

Registered

No worries with lymm or any other disease no, it has been used by gardeners and some farmers with up to twentyfive acres at least for over a hundred years.

Other simple repellents can be made , I just found some an hour ago looking for someone else locally. Natural, safe, effective, and inexpensive,
    and none of the drug-induced or chemical-caused side effects at all.

7. Marie Mallery

Registered

Thank you for looking while I scratch,haha. I have several itchy bump bites on me .If it ain't ticks irs Chiggers or red bugs whatever. Had them mostly on my ankles. Living in the woods isn't always what its cut out to be.

8. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

I learned by accident that hair spray on your hair keeps them off your head.

9. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

We get ticks something fierce in Virginia. I've heard of dogs getting Lyme disease around here but no humans. There's also another tick-borne disease that makes you sick when you eat red meat (beef, pork, venison, lamb.) This is from the Lone Star species of tick...the disease is an allergic reaction the meat's protein. Their ain't no treatment. Some folks get over it on their own after a couple of years. I just read that the Lone Star tick also carries Heartland virus in the southeast.

When I pull off ticks, I stick them to an index card under a piece of clear tape and note the date and location of the bite on it, just in case I get sick. Then I got the actual critter and am not trying to describe it should I have a reaction.

It's good to be aware of the different illnesses the ticks in your region carry, and the different types of ticks.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2022
  10. Marie Mallery

Registered

So far I get them this year before they get in my hair, but they do like to plug into my back alot. Thanks though for remedy.

Nancy Hart likes this.
  11. Marie Mallery

Registered

I should do the tape thing again. We do have Lymm here and I had it in 2005. I was very fortunate to have a female doctors appt who found a perfect bullseye on side of my head. He had it analyzed and it was Lymm. He told me I was very lucky to have caught it in time, gave me what he said was strongest antibiotics known at the time.
    I should write a book I've either done it, had it or witnessed it. But then who would believe it?
    I do feel since I am active and deep breath it has helped me and I stopped smoking whole cigarette when I was 14. My long time childhood friend told me to never smoke more than half a cig, and I never have ,most say I waste cig.s I say so its not wasting if I smoke it?

John Brunner likes this.
  12. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

Only 70%-80% of Lyme-infected folks get a rash, and not all of those rashes are the classic bullseye. It's such a nasty thing.

I recall reading of one of the early cases of Lyme disease in Texas, and the kid's mother accurately diagnosed it while the kid's doctor said "We don't get that here." The mother's perseverance got treatment soon enough to save the kid a potential lifetime of symptoms.

For the curious and the concerned:

**************************************************​
    [​IMG]
    Each dot is one confirmed Lyme case. Every year 30,000-40,000 cases are reported to the CDC (0.01% of the nation's total population), but this is known to be an under-count. An estimate based on insurance records put the annual number at 476,000 but that is considered to be a high figure based on treatments and not on confirmed infections. Obviously, a large part of the country is at minimal risk.
    ***********************************************************​

Heartland Virus Map (Transmitted by the Lone Star Tick)
    States With Confirmed Cases (50 Cases Total) as of January 2021

[​IMG]

Approximate Distribution of the Lone Star Tick
    Alpha-gal Syndrome (red meat allergy) and Heartland Disease

[​IMG]

I could not find specific case numbers for Alpha-gal Syndrome. This map is not meant to represent risks for a specific tick-borne disease. This is merely the range of the Lone Star tick.

******************************************​

If you spend a lot of time outdoors and are concerned about this kind of stuff, you are well-advised to seek out regional/local resources. If you pull a tick off of you that has attached itself, Scotch-tape it to an index card, noting the date and the spot on your body where it bit you, and keep it...just in case.

Here is one cheap option that's sold for removing ticks without leaving remnants still attached to you. There are several different designs, available on line and at camping/sporting stores.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 19, 2022
  13. Marie Mallery

Registered

All I know is that is what I was told by the doctor at UF who was also a professor later. He said I was lucky I just got bit because their is a short period of nothing working to actually get rid of it after the first week. Took 3 very strong antibiotics and cold like symptoms went away. Florida has cases of Lymm.
    My cousin's little girl died of Rocky Mountain fever from a tick bite in Georgia, she was 3.

John Brunner likes this.
  14. Jeff Elohim

Registered

15. Jeff Elohim

Registered

From previous mentioned search >
    "April 2, 2020 - But, all evening long I compressed the wasp bites by soaking some cotton balls in colloidal silver and then taping the wet cotton balls directly over the bite sites. I changed them out every hour or so with freshly soaked cotton balls.

"Colloidal Silver and Spider Bites (June 20, 2016)
    Colloidal Silver and Spider Bites. I get a lot of questions about using colloidal silver for spider bites. There seem to be two basic variations of the question. First, people want to know if normal, everyday spider bites can be treated effectively with colloidal silver.

"Colloidal Silver and Spider Bites
    I get a lot of questions about using colloidal silver for spider bites. There seem to be two basic variations of the question. First, people want to know if normal, everyday spider bites can be treated effectively with colloidal silver. And two, people want to know if colloidal silver will ...

"Ease Discomfort From Bug Bites & Stings with Colloidal Silver!…
    But, all evening long I compressed the wasp bites by soaking some cotton balls in colloidal silver and then taping the wet cotton balls directly over the bite sites. I changed them out every hour or so with freshly soaked cotton balls.

"Beat Insect Bite Pain and Inflammation with Colloidal Silver (July…
    But, all evening long I compressed the wasp bites by soaking some cotton balls"

I've used it for years , and on the live news report the local jail with over a thousand inmates used commercially available cs cleaner for five months and totally eliminated infections during that time, when they usually had about five hundred infections needing a doctor and drugs every five months, at great cost..