Thoughts On Trinity

Discussion in 'Faith & Religion' started by Sheldon Scott, Mar 16, 2016.

1. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

I hope I won't offend you by asking this Chrissy, if I do then I'm truly sorry for doing so. Have you read the Bible? Not just a verse of two...but the whole Bible? Have you ever gone to any Bible studies? The Bible isn't meant to be complicated. It is often mankind that makes it this way. But if you go off by yourself with a version that speaks to you and ask God to open up His Word to you....He will. Others, like myself, can tell you things, in simple or complicated ways. But God wants to speak to you directly and He is not a God of confusion. If your heart really wants to know Him...He will reveal Himself to you and if you open His Word with a sincere desire to know what He says in it...then God will make His Word clear to you. The only thing God asks of you or anyone else is that you seek Him with an honest and open heart, a real desire to know Him. You are part of the Family He has created and He wants a relationship with you but He will not force Himself on you. His heart is wide open to you...He's just waiting for you to open yours to Him.

Ken Anderson likes this.
  2. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

No, you haven't offended me, Babs. As for reading the bible, only as much as I read in 3 years of catholic school and then catechism every Saturday til I graduated HS.

3. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

I grew up in the Catholic Church and went to Catholic school plus I taught Cathechism for many years...so I can say this to you and know what I am talking about. You learned more about the Catholicism then you did about God or the Bible since they were explaining to you what it means and they use a different Bible which they blatantly have tampered with and changed things in. Their doctrines have more to do with "saving" you then Jesus Christ does in their opinion. Religious denominations of every kind have to much of this now days.

Any one of us who are Christians will be glad to answer any questions you have Chrissy and we will also be honest enough to tell you if we don't know the answers too. No matter what we tell you though....God is the one who really wants to tell you who He is and what He has to say to you through His Word (the Bible) and through His Holy Spirit.
    All you have to have is an open and honest heart in wanting to know Him.

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  4. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

hmmmmm, ah yes....the dreaded Catechism. Often mistaken that the catechisms are specifically Catholic, but it is that which in all denominations both Christian and Non answers only the questions of what but not why. The daily repetition of the Apostles Creed, the Ten Commandments and the Lord's Prayer which was first emphasized by Luther himself does not approach the idea that if a child should ask, "why do we have to memorize these" then why the answer will inevitably come up as, "because God likes that" or "The Bible tells us to".
    The sacraments to be memorized (note: there is no such word in the Bible as sacrament) and followed are those things which contribute to all beliefs but still do not answer the questions of a nonbeliever.

Goodness, I've been teaching the stuff for nearly 40 years but only when asked to do so for the last 20. I have lectured and taught throughout the U.S. and in 15 countries in just about every denominational arena possible because I dare to explore the reasoning behind each and every word not only positioned in the Bible but in other canons and documentation as well and because I have been given the gift of teaching and I emphasize that teaching starts with the milk of the Word and not the meat.

But, my heart is with the homeless, who for whatever reason have no faith, no hope, and are left in a world of total uncertainty. They do not accept anything nor trust anything unless they know why and I know how not to gag someone with something they cannot nor will not consume it unless they can smell it, chew on it, see it, know it, and trust it to be true.

Again, why do we believe in the Trinity? Or better, why do we believe there is a Trinity?
    For meat lovers: No one knows nor understands all there is to know for it is indeed a great mystery but, In the adoption we are in Christ and the Holy Spirit is in us. We are now made part of that same triune God as His adopted children through the sacrificial suffering, crucifixion and resurrection of Christ Jesus our Lord. We are made certain of these truths by the indwelling Holy Spirit who teaches us and interprets that which we do not know.

For milk drinkers: No one knows nor understands all there is to know for it is indeed a great mystery but, we worship One God who has three distinct and working personages namely, God the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit. He is three in one just as we are three in one. If we can believe that we are three in one then certainly it is easy to believe that He can be one but have three working attributes as well.

Ina I. Wonder likes this.
  5. Chrissy Cross

Registered

If I was to return to religion for any reason, it would be Catholic. That's what I know and feel the most comfortable with for some reason. I was a little moved yesterday in the Easter thread, remembering my youth and church. :)

6. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

If you are looking for religion Chrissy then you will certainly find it in the Catholic church...but if you are looking for God all you have to do is open your heart and invite Him to come in. For God is not religion...He is relationship.

7. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

Now that, my dear sister, is a fantastic answer!

8. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I'm not looking for religion but I'm just trying to say that if I was to believe in a God again, it would be the God that I knew.

Ina I. Wonder and Bobby Cole like this.
  9. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

And that, also my sister, is as much as a person could ask for. To reunite, love and trust again is hard, but He's pretty patient like any Good Father would be and waits for that moment when you feel the need for a hand to reach out to you and gather you to Him.
    For the second time in two weeks I can say that, "He hears the weakest whisper, and feels the smallest tear."

Yvonne Smith and Chrissy Cross like this.
  10. Mari North

Mari North Veteran Member
    Registered

Truer words could not be spoken, @Ina I. Wonder . And if I may take that a step further, I believe that it is often the high and mighty "I claim I'm a Christian but then act like a...." Uh... I'd better not go there or @Bobby Cole will scold me right here in front of everyone. Let me try again. I believe that it is the Christian who tries to shove their own beliefs down someone's throat that turns others off to the whole idea of Christianity. Seriously... I've seen it so often.

I don't thump my Bible over someone's head... and I don't throw scripture around haphazardly because that is what *turns people off*. The unbelievers aren't giving Christians a bad name... it is the so-called "self proclaimed jury and judge Christians" doing that with their thumping and thinking they're better than others. Newsflash... they're not, they just have grandiose ideas that they are. ;)

Me? Oh yeah, I'm a Christian and have been for a very long time. Unless someone directly attacks the very things that I have built my life and foundation on, I'd rather show my faith by example. I will tell about prayers answered (including a few huge ones just last week)... and I will tell about miracles I've seen that could be nothing *but* miracles. But I won't thump. I've never seen one person change their opinion after having fire and brimstone thrown at them in a "down your throat" assault... instead they turn the other way and run. So would I, frankly. There are ways to show our faith... it's sad that so many Christians seem to have never gotten the memo.

Ooooh, don't fall off yer soapbox, Mari.. Sorry! :rolleyes:

Last edited: Mar 22, 2016
  11. Mari North

Registered

Yes... yes. @Chrissy Page got it. I don't need to understand it all... I just have faith that it's there. Just like I have faith that the glorious sun will indeed be coming up over that sparkling Atlantic Ocean every morning. Just like I know that the stars are there even on nights when I don't see them. And yep, like I know the moon is still there even when it's in new phase and invisible.

If one has faith, I don't think everything has to be explainable. How does our heart keep beating? This only becomes an issue with questions of religion, it seems... people who question the hows and whys of things stated in the Bible would never question the hows and whys of our heartbeat, or swallows returning to Capistrano or the salmon knowing their routes... or, well there are thousands of examples. Never questioned... just believed in faith.

Ina I. Wonder and Chrissy Cross like this.
  12. Mari North

Registered

I do not agree with those "some" if they do that. We are not to be judging someone else's heart or beliefs like that. God is the ultimate and divine judge and it is not up to me to presume to know whether or not they were a true believer. Agree?

As for the rest, yes, everyone needs to decide whether or not to accept the gift of eternal life.