Thoughts About Cooking

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Yvonne Smith, Jan 23, 2015.

1. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I guess I can't quite say that i hate cooking; but I would never count cooking as a hobby, or even as something that I like to do.
    My husband is the chef in the family, and I am perfectly happy to have it that way.
    That is not to say that I don't also cook. I do.
    And I am even a pretty good cook, when I make something.

We have kind of an agreement between us. If I want to make a meal; I make it, and we eat that. if Bobby wants to make a meal, then he does, and we eat that.
    However, sometimes, neither one of us wants to cook; sso then we just kind of snack on whatever we feel like eating that is available. Or, there is always a frozen pizza to thaw and cook.
    I buy lunch meat, cheese, lettuce, tomato and onion; so we can have tacoes, hamburgers, and just a lunch meat or tuna fish sandwich when we are hungry.

Bobby almost always makes himself a huge breakfast of bacon and eggs, toast and/or grits, and whatever else he is in the mood for.
    I look for leftovers from last night's dinner. If there are none, then a sandwich or salad usually does the job.
    We are just pretty casual about food in our family.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  2. Harrison Greenberg

Harrison Greenberg Veteran Member
    Registered

I really like cooking, it's starting to become more of a hobby for me. I used to not like it, but now that I got the gist of things (took me 52 years) I finally know how to do it for fun

3. Betty Johnstone

Betty Johnstone Veteran Member
    Registered

I have never been a fan of cooking but don't have a choice. Hubby is terrible in the kitchen and although he sometimes helps with the cleanup, cooking he doesn't do. There are times I wish he could at least give me an idea of what to cook. Coming up with meal ideas is sometimes harder than the actual cooking!!

4. Joss Brown

Joss Brown Veteran Member
    Registered

I love cooking. I was the eldest of four kids. I did most of the cooking when my parents split up. My mom had to start working and the responsibility fell on me. Fortunately, I really took to it. It's a great creative outlet for me. I love watching cooking shows to learn new recipes and pick up tips.

Whenever the entire family gets together, my sisters reminiscence about I used to bake from scratch. I still do from time to time.

5. Pat Baker

Pat Baker Supreme Member
    Registered

I cook for two teenage boys at the moment. This morning I made oatmeat with apples for the youngest boy and supervised the older boy as he made eggs and bacon for his breakfast. I prefer to bake than make a meal but it has to be done or the boys would eat everything they can get their hands on. It will be good when they can start to fix more than eggs and cereal for their meals.

6. Ruth Belena

Ruth Belena Veteran Member
    Registered

I have no choice because I live on my own and I don't eat fast food. I do enjoy preparing and cooking my own meals with fresh ingredients, spices and dried goods such as lentils, rice and pasta.

I think some of my own concoctions are really delicious, and whenever I cook for friends, they seem to like what I do.

I enjoy an occasional meal out, but I'm quite happy to be my own cook

7. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I was single until I was forty-eight years old. As a single parent, I raised a boy from the age of seven to twenty, but while he was at home, I lived in Southern California. I don't know if any of you were from there area, or are familiar with the "Pizza Man" delivery service, but I used it often, although seldom for pizza. Pizza Man began, I suppose, as a pizza delivery service but they had contracts with dozens of other restaurants that could be ordered from, with the deliver charges built into the price. I had an account with them so that, if I was working late, or working the 2nd shift, my son could simply call Pizza Man.

Usually that worked pretty well, although once I got my bill to find seven pizzas had been ordered at the same time one night while I was at work. The brat had the audacity to insist that there was no party, and that he had eaten them all himself because he was hungry, even to the point of seeming offended that I would not believe him. To his credit, he had done a terrific job of cleaning up before I got home because I didn't have a clue until I got the bill.

Usually, I cooked on weekends, and during the week, depending on my schedule, but we did use Pizza Man a lot. Plus, there was a very good Thai restaurant only a block away. When he grew up and elected to remain in California while I moved to Texas, I ate in restaurants a lot. Being a paramedic, that was the thing to do anyhow. When I ate at home, I would often eat in courses, beginning with the meat portion. If I was still hungry, or became hungry again later, I'd cook a vegetable, and so on. There wasn't so much a meal as there was grazing throughout the day.

Oddly enough, I enjoy cooking, and usually have a pretty good idea of what will go well together, and how much, without having to depend on a recipe. It's just not something I did much for myself.

8. Mal Campbell

Mal Campbell Supreme Member
    Registered

I guess I'm like you, Yvonne, I wouldn't call myself a cook. When my son was at home, I did most of the cooking, because I truly believe that children should eat proper meals and get the nutrition they need. I didn't really enjoy or not-enjoy it, it was just something I had to do. I'm a pretty good cook, nothing fancy, but meals were enjoyable, tasty and (usually) nutritious.

But now that my son is gone, and it's just me and my husband, I find that I'm becoming ambivalent about it. Some nights I cook, other nights it falls to hubby, and then other nights we just look at each other and shrug - he has a PB&J and I have a bowl of cereal. Not quite as nutritious as I would like - but since there are no impressionable youths around - who cares??! ;)

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  9. Michelle Stevens

Michelle Stevens Veteran Member
    Registered

My problem is that I've never been married and have lived with my parents my whole life, so I've never really needed to do much cooking. Lately I've become hooked an Masterchef and I'm starting to wish I had some cooking skill, but at 52 it's probably too late for me to become a good cook now.

And the part that really puts me off cooking - I hate having to do dishes!

10. Nikos Pine

Nikos Pine Veteran Member
    Registered

I am a huge fan of cooking. I cook almost every single day, and I try to cook budget dishes mostly, nothing insane. The best food is cheap and honest is how I feel. The one thing I hate is doing the dishes afterwards! Especially if you are cooking multiple meals a day, that is multiple loads of dishes to do. Other than that I enjoy eating my food any day of the week much better than ordering out. They charge you way to much for what you can do better yourself!

11. Allie Seay

Allie Seay Veteran Member
    Registered

I really enjoy cooking--sometimes.:)
    I love Chinese, Mexican and Greek dishes, so I like to experiment and come up with my own versions of these. The typical southern dishes I grew up with are also high on my list of likes when it comes to cooking.
    And baking is something I've always enjoyed, as I love homemade breads and sweet things. Come to think of it, I don't know if I like the baking or the eating most.
    Lately, though, I've been in a bit of a kitchen slump. I get that way occasionally. Like when I'm busier than normal in other ways and the time I spend cooking ends up feeling like much more of a chore than it normally would.
    Sooner or later, though, things level off and I find myself sprouting wings in the kitchen.
    And singing again.
    I'm looking forward to that. I'm getting tired of rushing about and grumbling over the stove.

12. Mal Campbell

Mal Campbell Supreme Member
    Registered

It's never too late to learn - you just have to take the plunge. Look at it as a new adventure. As for the dishes - well, you could always do like Zsa Zsa Gabor in "Green Acres" and just throw them out the window!!

13. Herbert Jennings

Herbert Jennings Veteran Member
    Registered

I absolutely love cooking. When I used to live at home my mom took care of everything and I didn't really appreciate all the work and time that goes into buying groceries and preparing meals. When I moved out I quickly found out that it takes some time and work to keep oneself fed and to have a well balanced diet. I had to quit eating out because it became clear that it can be expensive and unhealthy so I learned to prepare some quick and easy meals. It was essential really and I still don't know how some people can go through life without knowing how to make scrambled eggs. Just my two cents.

Allie Seay likes this.
  14. Helene Lawson

Helene Lawson Veteran Member
    Registered

It was never a hobby of mine, I never knew how to cook properly, I mean I wasn't good at it and I never enjoyed it. :(

15. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I was about 6 when my step-mother came into the scene. One of the first things she did was to start showing myself and my two younger brothers around the house. We found out quick that there are things in each room that had to be done and she wasn't going to be the one to do them. Both my dad and stepmom worked so keeping the house became "kids chores."
    One room that became mine was the kitchen. When I got home from school (age 7) my stepmom would give me a call and give me instructions about cooking dinner. I had already been tutored concerning the finer points i.e. fire is hot, steam is hotter. Knives, no matter how much you may like one, really do not like you. These lesson also came with bandaids, and good old iodine.
    My first solo meal was, Italian sausage with potatoes, bell peppers, mushrooms, and onions. It turned out good enough to get the directions for "meat loaf" the next day. (can we hum...And the beat goes on?)

All of the above led me into the food industry, which led me into the mission ministry and the Lord, and also financed a few college degrees. Food has been very, very good to me!

Yvonne Smith likes this.