Those Born After 9/11 Are About To Vote In Their First Election

Discussion in 'Politics & Government' started by John Brunner, Sep 11, 2020.

1. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Approximately 8.4 million Americans born after 9/11 are now old enough to vote in Election 2020. This will be the first election ever in which post-9/11 babies can vote.

That’s nearly as many as the 11.4 million Americans still alive today who were old enough to vote in 1960 when John Kennedy was elected. That election took place before the voting age was lowered to 18.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  2. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Time flys.

I remember quite clearly being able to drink my fill but I couldn’t vote. I remember being able to go to war, but I didn’t have a say as to whom the Commander in Chief was.
    Then, in 1971 when I was fairly fresh out of the Nam, I could finally vote and fortunately, or not, I was just over the wire for the new drinking age.

John Brunner likes this.
  3. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

You're a little older than I am. They kept screwing with the drinking laws in Virginia. I turned 21 in May of 1975 and a law lowering the drinking age to 18 (I believe just for beer) went into effect that July 1.

There were lots of backs & forths on it over the years because of the military presence in our state, so the "Old enough to die for our country/then old enough to drink" philosophy pretty much ruled until Intoxicated Vehicular Carnage crossed a threshold. WW2 and Vietnam drove passage of the 26th Amendment in 1971 which lowered the voting age.

Regarding 9/11, I was laid off of work and watching the news when they were covering the first plane hitting the towers, and then the next plane hit on live TV. Understandably, these first-time voters have no more concept of that day than I had of The Korean War (or any event preceding my birth.)

4. Peter Renfro

Peter Renfro Veteran Member
    Registered

Those kids will never know America. The terrorists won that day. Patriot act and the formation of Homeland Security marked the end of a free people and ushered in an era of erosion of all things we held dear.The government and Law Enforcement turned authoritarian, our personal freedoms, forever and inextricably curtailed ,and a free and once independent people, bowed down in blind obedience to an overbearing government in a pitiful failed attempt to gain security and safety..
    One gate that is open the horse is gone and never coming back!