This Year We're In The Market For An Outdoor Grill

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Von Jones, Apr 2, 2015.

1. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

My husband and I made an arrangement last year that he will take care of the front yard and I will have the back. That's find with me since I enjoy being in my own little 'paradise.' It's a work in progress and my list of to-do projects has been made. One of which is the charcoal grill.

Our current grill is a hand me down from a neighbor that moved away and didn't want to take it along. It's a charcoal grill and still useful but as far as looks it needs a lot of, scratch that, it needs to be scrapped. So we're in the market for another grill, preferably, another charcoal grill.

I have never had a propane gas grill but I've been reading reviews how some propane gas grillers have switched to using charcoal grills. It all came down to the taste it seems. At first I thought that the price would have been the major reason for changing but it wasn't.

Given that and my concern for safety when using propane gas outweighs the cost I much prefer a charcoal grill.

What is your preference?

2. Mal Campbell

Mal Campbell Supreme Member
    Registered

I like the way a charcoal grill makes food taste, but it takes so long to get it heated to the right temperature. And there's kind of an art to stacking the charcoal and soaking it with lighter fluid. Then you have the ashes to deal with - such a mess.

We grill out almost every day. So for us, a gas grill is just so much easier and quicker. You pop outside, push a button and wait 2 or 3 minutes and it's ready to go. You still get a good "grilled" taste. And there's really no cleaning associated with it, other than to brush the rack.

3. Pat Baker

Pat Baker Supreme Member
    Registered

My daughter has the grill that uses both the propane and the charcoal. We use the charcoal more often than the gas because of taste. The gas side does not create the smoke that the charcoal side does so you don't smell like a grill when you leave the area and need to wash your hair because of the grilling smoke.

4. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

I love the taste of things cooked on a charcoal grill, but it can be a pain waiting for them to heat up, and it gets super hot, especially in the Summer here, which is why I tend not to grill too much then. I got a small hibachi last year, after years of not having a grill, and I love it. My absolute favorite would be dual-fuel grill, so I could quickly grill things when a craving hit, but I'd still probably use the charcoal most of the time. In my dreams, I have a professional stove, with the grill portion...mmmm.

5. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

In years past, I had one of those long charcoal grills that was like a sideways barrell, and it used a lot of charcoal; but it was big, and it would cook bbq chicken for the whole family. That and a big bowl of ppotato salad (always served on one of my mom's old Melmac bowls, of course) , and we were well on the way to a great family meal.
    My son, Michael, loved his chicken totally smothered in the bbq sauce, and I do , too; but my daughter , Robin, hates bbq sauce. Therefore, we had one side of the grill with the "saucy chicken" and the other side with the plain.
    I would stand at the bbq, turning the chicken every few minutes, and slurping more bbq sauce on it, so that by the time it was done, the sauce was almost as thick as the chicken was.
    Life was good !
    As for a gas bbq, I have had those, too, and I think they are awesome for when you want to cook a pork steak (or any kind of steak, for that matter) and it is only going to take a few minutes cooking time, as opposed to the hour I spent bbq-ing the chicken.
    So, I think that there is a place for both, and it just depends on what kind of food you are preparing, and personal taste.
    Bobby, who is from the South, loves his meat smoked on the bbq; so he has one of those grills that has a smoker part to it, and he can either use the smoker or not, depending on what he is cooking.

6. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

The time of cooking on a charcoal grill has never really an issue mainly because it is expected to take a while. Our family has always had something going on while the meat was grilling, preparing side dishes - lots of side dishes, playing cards, joking around telling stories and such. Then there was always the grilled hot dogs, hamburgers, or brats for the 'I'm ready to eat now crowd.'

The grill was always started early with plenty of charcoal on hand to keep it going. The ribs were the first to grill even before family started to arrive. Those who wanted to help cook also came early for prepping whatever.

I have been looking online and haven't found one that I like. The barrel type was one we were considering. I'm kind of like Goldilocks, some are too small, some are too big and I'm wanting the one that's just right.:)