This Shocked Me

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussions' started by Patsy Faye, May 27, 2017.

1. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

Read a story of a woman that was experiencing very painful legs and night cramps
    Eventually one leg swelled badly and she went to the hospital. The surgeon said he had
    only seen this with a trauma incident such as a vehicle accident. They were puzzled.
    They had to operate immediately and it was horrific what she went through. Two more
    operations followed. They said she was on the verge of losing her leg and any longer ...
    her life !
    She then realised the reason why this had happened to her - skinny jeans !!
    They were very tight on her legs, causing nerve damage and constricted blood flow.
    I bought a pair of jeans before I heard this, they were difficult to get over my legs and
    I have skinny legs ! I took them back to the shop stating 'they would cut off me circulation !'
    How right I was !
    Why they sell these things is beyond me - stupid ! :(

Holly Saunders likes this.
  2. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

Yep it just shows the dangers people face in the name of fashion.

You can't regulate what manufacturers sell, and you can't regulate for people's stupidity... this woman must have kown those skinny jeans were too tight..she shouldn't have worn them.

I remember reading in history class about girdles and Stays on Victorian women being tied sooo tight to give them a fashionable tiny waist that sometimes the women would faint because they could barely breathe ..they still wore them tho'...

Patsy Faye likes this.
  3. Patsy Faye

Registered

I saw a programme on it - the women's internal organs were actually displaced ! :eek:

4. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

Aren't compression stockings tight though? My grandmother had to wear them.

Patsy Faye likes this.
  5. Patsy Faye

Registered

@Chrissy Cross - my very thought when I read the article
    Really confused me ...........

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  6. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I remember seeing my grandmother wearing them and buying them and my thought always was...that must be torturous .

In his last year my husband had to wear them, even had some type of machine hospice brought in the would compress his legs. He never wore the stockings or did the compression thing but he did have a blood clot in his leg while he was in the hospital for a month prior to coming home. They didn't want him to have another one.

Patsy Faye likes this.
  7. Patsy Faye

Registered

Sounds uncomfortable
    When my legs were bad I did try the tights, very mild ones but I thought helped
    They were a little thicker than the tights I wear

8. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

They do compression stockings to help prevent and stop blood clots from moving to another part of the body where they could cause death, etc. When I had my total hysterectomy and gall bladder surgery they put compression stockings on my legs for this reason.

In China I read that they would wrap girl's feet tightly so that they would stay small, also many times they would bind their chest too so their breasts would not grow big...as this was offensive to their culture. I don't know if they still do this or not but I'm sure it must have been agonizing to walk on feet that were bound so tight, etc.

Chrissy Cross and Patsy Faye like this.
  9. Patsy Faye

Registered

Yes Babs, some 'still' do the binding technique
    @Babs Hunt

10. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

I suffer from plantar fascitis in my feet caused by standing for up to 11 hours a day at work, I also have RA in several joints..my feet are agonising at times , like walking on hot rocks in bare feet....and regardless of the shoes I wore, the pain at the end of the day would mean I could hardly bear to walk to my car much less do anything else when I got home..so after trying loads of different things, I finally bought a pair of compression ankle socks...they are like trainers socks so they're not detectable ..and they are verrrry tight to put on and even more difficult to take off at the end of the day, but they've made a huge difference to the pain level in my feet. Now I can get through a working day..and although my feet are still sore, at least I can still walk without complete agony.

I only wear them when I'm going to be on my feet for many hours, but they really have made a huge difference...and as tight as they are they don't cut off my circulation. I've had them now for about 9 months

I got the pink..... https://www.amazon.co.uk/Fasciitis-...&keywords=plantar+fasciitis+compression+socks

Babs Hunt and Yvonne Smith like this.
  11. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

Glad you found something that helped you @Holly Saunders...and love that you found them in a cheerful pink! :)

12. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

My doctor said I needed to wear compression stockings; so I have been researching them , too. The thing with compression socks is that they are tighter at the bottom, and then looser as they go up the leg, thus pushing the blood back through the veins and up to the heart.
    I had that blood clot in my leg in the fall of 2015, which went to my lungs (pulmonary embolism), and the blood thinners are supposed to help prevent that from happening again.
    However, I also have what is called "leaky veins" and this means that the valves that are supposed to close and push the blood back up my legs are not working right, and the blood seeps out, which causes swelling in my legs. He said this is one of the main reasons that my knee is so swollen and that leg hurts, and that the compression socks will help.
    I got a pair to try and they do seem to help my legs, but they cut into the back of the knee, and that becomes uncomfortable after a few hours of wearing them. I want to wear them on the plane trip because sitting still for so long with the legs down is supposed to be bad for the leaky veins, and makes it even worse. Walking, and also putting the feet up are supposed to help, so the running through the airport between flights should help out a lot.
    The jeans would not be a graduated compression, so they might just cut off circulation all the way up the leg, as opposed to how the compression socks work.
    It seems like this person in the news article must have been wearing skinny jeans that were really tight, and for a long time each day, for it to affect her so much.

Last edited: May 27, 2017
  13. Patsy Faye

Registered

Good explanation @Yvonne Smith
    Pity the socks can't help me, my feet burn so much, I can't bear them enclosed
    After a cool morning, its now heating up :rolleyes:

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  14. Patsy Faye

Registered

@Holly Saunders - looked at the link, impressive
    I will order a pair to try in cooler weather :)

15. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

They also make leg sleeves, @Patsy Faye , and those might work better for you. they do not cover the feet at all; but go from the ankle to the knee, and are the same basic thing as the compression socks, except that the feet are bare. If it looks like the foot part is the problem you would have then maybe the leg sleeve would work better for you, and you would still get the benefit of the compression to help leg pain and swelling.
    I want to try and walk more, since that it a natural way to help the blood be pushed back up to the heart; but wearing the compression socks when I can't walk is maybe the next best solution.

Patsy Faye likes this.