This Made Me Smile

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Diane Lane, Apr 11, 2016.

1. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

I stumbled upon this earlier, and wanted to share. It makes me smile when people stand up for standards. It seems many in our society today have laissez-faire attitudes about everything, and are afraid to stand up and say no, or object to something that offends their sensibilities. Everyone has to get a trophy or ribbon just for showing up, rather than putting in the extra work and dedication required to earn the honor. Calling an orange an apple doesn't make it so, it just blurs the lines, and confuses everyone. http://www.newsoxy.com/entertainment/gene-simmons-34-191190.html I don't think the rule about current vs. past members makes sense, since current ones have been in the band for years, but I understand the need to set some limits.

Apparently this is an ongoing issue between Gene Simmons and Ice Cube. I grew up on rock and like it, and I actually enjoy much of the hip-hop I hear, at least when the lyrics aren't putting down women, law enforcement, etc., but I am happy this discussion is taking place.

Karen McKenzie likes this.
  2. Bonnie Thomas

Bonnie Thomas Veteran Member
    Registered

The Rock n Roll Hall of Fame has been getting diluted for some time now, as far as I'm concerned. And it will continue as more singers get in.. how about Madonna or ABBA, The Monkees? ... and Gene Pitney who is country, or so many blues and soul singers, Bobby Bland or Little Willie John, etc.
    It should just be called The Music Hall of Fame.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2016
    Karen McKenzie and Diane Lane like this.
  3. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

Yes, I totally agree, it should be re-named, although I'm sure that would be a logistical nightmare. Rather than diluting the purpose of the organization, they should have perhaps created some sort of special honor they could bestow upon outsiders, if they really felt the need to do so.

Karen McKenzie and Bonnie Thomas like this.
  4. Karen McKenzie

Karen McKenzie Veteran Member
    Registered

Maybe they could have jazz honors, hip hop honors, country honors etc, blues...etc