Things You Have, But Probably Will Never Use Again

Discussion in 'Not Sure Where it Goes' started by Cody Fousnaugh, Jun 22, 2017.

1. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

You bought it, have used it, but don't anymore. You might (a BIG "might") use them again, but most likely won't.
    These things are out-of-sight, like in the basement, closet or under the bed........somewhere where you won't see the things enough to spark the brain to say "get rid of it!" You know that if you try to sell the things, you won't get out of them what YOU think they are worth. That doesn't make you happy at all.

We have gotten rid of a number of things like this, but still have some things that really should GO, but. There's that word "but". The word that many use to keep things.

Funny how some people complain about not enough money, but at the same time, have money in things they no longer use.

What's your take on this?

Ina I. Wonder likes this.
  2. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

Probably everything in my house. When we moved here in 2003 I bought everything new down to dishes, towels, pots and pans, glassware and also all the furnishings for a 4 bedroom home.

I didn't go the cheap route either, then a year later my husband died and except for the time my ex lived here, I don't even go in most of the rooms, nor use my nice dishes or glasses. I have some things that I've NEVER used.

Most of my things are brand new looking.

I'm not going to stress about it though.

3. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

My Honey and I are pretty good about passing on or donating things we know we don't need anymore and will not use so it's hard to think of anything in our home that we will never use again.

We will probably never listen to a bunch of my Honey's cassettes again even though we do have a cassette player with our portable CD/radio player. I have some cassettes too but I weeded out the ones I knew I would never listen to again and just have ones I do still play now and then. :)

For me, it will probably be the wine glasses we were gifted with. I don't really like wine and my Honey likes beer...so I don't think we will ever use these again. All of my daughters do like wine though so I will see which one of them may want the set I have. :)

4. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Things we finally get around to getting rid of go to the Goodwill and some we send to relatives for Christmas. At our last community garage sale, we sold a number of Florida decor things that wouldn't go with living in Colorado or states like it. We do have a few things we keep, because we're fairly sure we'll use them again.

5. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

When my youngest daughter and her family get settled back here, my daughters and I are going to have a big garage sale. I'm sure I will be able to come up with a few things to add to this too. :)

6. Ina I. Wonder

Ina I. Wonder Supreme Member
    Registered

This is a good point @Cody Fousnaugh. When I thought I was going to have to sell my home, because I could not handle the work that 2/3's of an acer required, or the general maintenance of a house first built in the 1870's. I then started weeding out, and setting aside what I should keep for wherever I ended up. I then boxed up many of my personal things that the realtor thought cluttered up the house as far as possible prospective buyer might be concerned.

I had so many gadgets that my husband would buy for me. I would use them once or twice so he felt good, and then they ended up on a shelf in my 12X14 pantry. After Michael died, I gave most of it away to friends and neighbors. I know I gave away at least half of my things.

The need to sell went away when one of my grandsons said he would happily move in and assume the upkeep of this old place. Yea for me!! :D But now I'm wondering about all the stuff I put in boxes and place in my husband old 30x40 work shop. I don't even remember what half of the stuff is. I know I should bring it back in the house, or find it another home, but I really dread going through it all again.

Yvonne Smith and Hedi Mitchell like this.
  7. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I have tons of it. One is a very large ladder, of the sort that fire departments use, with three extensions. When we bought the house, I painted it, and needed the ladder to get to the top portions of the house. That might still be useful today, except that I can barely carry the thing today, let alone place it where it needs to be. Seventeen years ago, I could - with some effort - place the ladder myself, but no more. I know; I tried a few years ago.

8. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

I remember taking some things to the Goodwill that my wife wouldn't have allowed me to take, but she said to me "Don't tell me what you are taking, just take it while I'm at work. Just take what you really, really think we won't use anymore." I did that and now we don't have nearly as much "not needed" stuff as we use to. Now she is going thru plastic bins full of church, work and etc. papers. I told her, "we really don't want to have to pay for the weight of these bins when we move. We really want to get rid of some of these papers now, not pay to have them shipped and then get rid of the stuff."

9. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

My brother has a nice touring bike (fully dressed) that him and his wife use to ride quite often and even got into a motorcycle touring club. Now it just sits inside an enclosed trailer. He brings it out at times to start it up and run it for a short time, but he has told me that their riding days are over. So........why keep the bike??
    He also has a cabin cruiser boat that needs some engine work. He has never had it on the water. It just sits on a trailer on their property in Florida. He absolutely won't listen to his wife when she asks him about the bike and the boat.

10. Ina I. Wonder

Registered

Hey @Cody Fousnaugh , I looked to see if you had a boat thread, but as you can see, I didn't find it. :(

I have some questions that I thought you could answer for me. :) My electric driveway gate is powered buy a marine battery. My questions are, what is the average life span of such a battery, and what price range should I expect? Can such a battery be charge with a portable auto charger? Can you over charge a marine battery? Oh, and the big question, how do I tell what size the battery is? :confused:

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  11. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

Um the tv that blew out this morning. The dumpster is calling its name :p

12. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

Dump donate it or give it away. If you have had no need for those items since boxed up...sounds like you can live without them:)

13. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Average lifespan: I'd say 3 years, depending on how much used and how cheap the battery is.

Price: We paid something like $129 for our two batteries. We have a Starting Battery, which is for starting the boat. Most boats that only have one battery, use a Starting one. And we have a Deep Cell Battery, used as a "house Battery" for running stereo and other electronics when boat is tied to dock. Deep Cell doesn't have the power a Starting one does. We have an onboard battery switch to switch between batteries. Don't know what kind of marine battery/brand you have on your gate,

Charging: Regular portable charger should do fine.

Over-Charging: There should be an indicator light on the charger to let you know when the battery is fully charged and to disconnect.

Size: the size should be printed on the top or side of battery.

14. Tim Burr

Tim Burr Veteran Member
    Registered

Funny you brought this subject up. I agreed only last week to put most
    of my power tools and lots of other tools up for sale.

I realized there were a lot of things I'll never use again.

Dozens of power saws, routers, power drills, etc.
    Will keep a few items my Dad gave me many years ago.

It will be a hard thing to do. Admitting I'm getting too old to
    work like when I was younger.

On a positive note, the extra money will make the vacation in September a lot nicer. :)

15. Ina I. Wonder

Registered