Things You First Enjoyed as a Child

Discussion in 'Other Reminiscences' started by Ruth Belena, Feb 18, 2015.

1. Ruby Begonia

Ruby Begonia Supreme Member
    Registered

Bonnie, she's a beauty.

2. Ruby Begonia

Registered

Tiny Tears had the weird curly hair, lol I had a couple of them. The girls next door had Betsy Wetsys

Karen McKenzie and Chrissy Cross like this.
  3. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

My only doll looked like this.

robot_toy.jpg

There were lights that lit up and I think there was a ray gun that could be fitted into its hand. It would walk, and it would say...

I'm Robby the Robot,
    The mechanical man.
    I walk and I talk,
    and I do what I can.

4. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

Phew Ken, before I saw the pic and just read the title I had a moment of terror that I would be seeing a blow up doll. :)

Terry Page and Ruby Begonia like this.
  5. Karen McKenzie

Karen McKenzie Veteran Member
    Registered

Wow..great memories here. I loved paper dolls and hopscotch, jacks, pick up sticks, and most of all my bike and roller skates. Remember riding your bike with "no hands"..haha..we thought we were so cool. I loved swimming a lot..all summer.

Chrissy Cross and Ruby Begonia like this.
  6. Ruby Begonia

Registered

I also loved to play with cap pistols and cap bombs..

tmp_23402-1d80604de73a3a572acbb6e00f0bd15e-1707893155.jpg tmp_23402-50542020618101.jpg

Terry Page and Karen McKenzie like this.
  7. Karen McKenzie

Karen McKenzie Veteran Member
    Registered

Oh Ruby..I remember those caps..they were so much fun :)

8. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

Anyone remember these candies? The ones we got were a single row of dots, all the same color, on a strip of paper, for a penny each. About 20 dots or so per strip, about a foot long. The dots could be picked off with fingers, or bitten off directly with the teeth. Frank

[​IMG]

9. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I remember those and lots of other candies from my youth. There are stores that sell many of them, always fun looking around in them.

Karen McKenzie likes this.
  10. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

I liked fishing when I was young and still do. I loved music and books and still do. And I loved babies, dolls and real ones,...still love the real ones today. :D

11. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Here's a thread that's worth reviving for any of our new members. What things did you first enjoy as a child that you still like to do?

12. Betty Jones

Betty Jones Veteran Member
    Registered

i use to love being out in the sun and taking long walks by myself--cant do either one anymore

Frank Sanoica and Ken Anderson like this.
  13. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Well, early childhood, I don't remember much to anything. Teen, high school years, I remember getting a Daisy Pump BB Gun for my birthday. I was either a Freshman or Sophomore. Had lots of fun shooting sparrows with it. Why sparrows? Because they'd crap all over farm equipment and my step-dad told me "kill all you can see......and aim good". At night, a farm buddy of mine would bring his BB gun to our place and we'd both go into the barn, hold a flashlight next to the barrel, aim for the backend of a sparrow that was sitting in the rafters (that were holding up the roof) and shoot. Boy did our sparrow problem start to go away.

In my Junior high school year, I started building model cars.

But, my biggest joy during those high school years, was going over to my cousins for weekends during the summer. Their parents were on a bowling league and bowled on Saturday night. Burgers, popcorn, ice cream, soda, tv blaring.......definitely was fun. Then, on Sunday, my Uncle would take us out on local Reservoir in his power boat. "Skim the waves"! It just got to be that the farm was a lot of physical work and me and physical work really never got along.

Ken Anderson likes this.
  14. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

Being outdoors and riding my bike for sure. Playing in the water hose or sprinkler during the summer months. Eating snow balls and koolaid popsicles too. :)

15. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

upload_2018-5-10_7-8-30.jpeg I use to sit under a willow tree (which I didn't know what kind of tree it was until I was a little older) that grew a few feet from our house. I think I was 5 or 6 years old. I remember it very clearly because that's when I witnessed a kitten come out from under the house. I never saw one before. Later in time I found myself shoveling a dead cat out of our attached garage-alone because my sisters were too squirmy.

I would play with my toys but I loved to look up and see the sky between the hanging limbs. Also when a breeze came along I enjoyed watching it sway back and forth. I thought it was the most beautiful thing. That's when I fell in love with trees.

Don Alaska likes this.