Things I Miss Most As A Aging Retiree

Discussion in 'Not Sure Where it Goes' started by Lon Tanner, Jul 12, 2017.

1. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

I have had a great life so far and accept the fact that I can't do many of the things that I was able to do in my first 26 years of retirement.

Next to my profound loss of hearing I miss SIMPLE AFFECTION, not sex, not love, just the affection that you can't get from a dog cat or other pet.

Maryt Hope and Frank Sanoica like this.
  2. Ina I. Wonder

Ina I. Wonder Supreme Member
    Registered

@Lon Tanner there is nothing wrong with that. I assumed you had family fairly close to you, and that they were active in your life, but I know from experience that as we age sometimes people think that part of life isn't important to us anymore.

Although, you might be talking about the affection that comes with a relationship with a lady. And yes, there is much affection that isn't necessarily sexual, so much of a good relationship is built on plain old closeness of spirit.

From what I'm told, there are more senior women than men, maybe it is time for you to look for someone that can offer you companionship. I know that your hearing has been a stumbling block for you, but you have said that was being rectified. It might be time for you to jump in the dating waters again.

Please excuse me if I'm reading your post wrong. I hope you find what you need. :)

3. Maryt Hope

Maryt Hope Veteran Member
    Registered

" No man is an island ..." as John Donne said.
    Cheer up, Lon !
    maxresdefault.jpg

Attached Files:

• wave.gif
      wave.gif
      File size:
      703 bytes
      Views:
  4. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Yes, I think @Ina I. Wonder is right.........find yourself a lady friend and enjoy each other's company.

5. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

That's one reason I like my grandbabies so much...they are always giving me hugs and kisses (even though those kisses can be kind of slobbery at times) :). My Honey and I make sure we give each other lots of hugs and affection throughout our days too. And I make sure I get my hugs from my children and grandchildren...even my son-in-laws when I see them.

Many of our loved ones are so busy these days they don't even stop to think about giving affection...that used to upset me until I figured out if I still needed this from them...I was just going to go ahead and get it...and the funny thing is they are always glad I did go ahead and let them know I wasn't to big (or to old) to still need hugs and affection from all of them. And they aren't either. :p

Touching and being affectionate with those you love only deepens that love to me. :)

Ina I. Wonder likes this.
  6. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Glad your family is that close, as in distance and affection, to you. Wife and I choose to live far away from family and they choose not to come and see us anymore. Really whish we had that "closeness" within the family, but that will never happen again. Wife and I show each other affection with a hug now and then and saying "love you" on a daily basis.

7. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

I am surrounded by loving family. I think the kind of affection that @Lon Tanner is talking about is what a man and woman feel who have shared a life together. When they can sit together and not have to talk, just be comfortable with each other's presence. When she is at the sink washing dishes and he walks by and gives her an affectionate pat on the butt. When they are in a crowd and look up and smile at each other at the same time.

8. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

When I was younger, I sometimes considered it to be a plus that I was living in a place other than where I grew up, as I could achieve whatever I wanted to achieve without being held to the past or to preconceptions that I couldn't do anything about. At least it seemed that way. Now however, I sometimes regret that I didn't grow old with the people I grew up with, since there seems to be a lot to be said for that too. Particularly having family, old friends, and old classmates around.