Things I Have Stood In Very Long Lines For

Discussion in 'Other Reminiscences' started by Ken Anderson, Nov 24, 2017.

1. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I am not a patient person when it comes to spending portions of my life standing in a line, and fortunately I have not had to do so often. I can think of only a few.

I don't know what it was like for the rest of the country, but Jimmy Carter's gas shortages had me sitting in lines a lot, as I waited in the hope of being able to buy gas while I was in Southern California in 1979. Then, I found a gas station on my way home from work at 11 pm that opened for just a few hours at midnight, so I just hung around work for a while, and the lines were much shorter there. That got me through the rest of that mess.

As for standing in lines, my first trip to the DMV involved a line that wrapped around the block, largely because DMV employees worked like turtles on downers.

Then, there was a very long line to see Jaws when it came out in 1975. I would never have been in that line, but my son wanted to see it, and I promised him he could before I realized how long of a wait it would be.

He very much wanted to wait in line to ride Space Mountain when they opened it at Disneyland, but there was a sign that said "APPROXIMATE 2 HOUR WAIT FROM THIS POINT," and that point wasn't even at the halfway mark. We came back the next week and the line was still long, but not ridiculous.

I can't think of any more really long lines. Usually, I leave rather than wait in them.

Maryt Hope and Frank Sanoica like this.
  2. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

Now we usually sit in lines at the DMV but I do remember a few times having to stand in a long line for my turn over there.

Also remember a few long lines at AstroWorld and Disneyland.

And a couple of Election years there was long lines waiting to vote too.

That's about it for me. :)

3. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

The only thing I stand in a Long line for is the airport Check in desk..and I resent that enough..and that's with so called speedy check in ...contrary to popular belief the British do not like queuing..

Not in this lifetime would I stand in a store Queue at 2am in the morning waiting for the doors to open at 6 or 7am..for some 'thing' I probably don't need.

4. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

Aside from normal line waiting in everyday situations - I do not wait on much else. I have never , ever participated in Black Friday sales- never wanted to.
    I would never camp outside, even in good weather, to wait for tickets, sales, or to see some famous person.
    Guess I am lazy...lololo:D:p

5. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

Shirley Martin likes this.
  6. Missy Lee

Missy Lee Veteran Member
    Registered

This might sound silly but standing in line no longer bothers me since I got a cell phone. I don't talk, but I do access the internet and it makes the time speed by.

7. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Waiting lines do not bother me at all; it's just the people that are in them or behind them that cause an immeasurable amount of frustration.
    Screaming children running amuck while uncaring parents try to write a check with no identification, the person who forgot one item causing the cashier a wait while he or she scrambles to go get it, or the person who wishes to pay for a soda and three bags of potato chips in pennies are all reasons why I avoid people and their waiting lines.

8. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

Lines usually don't bother me...it all depends.

Check in at airport only bothers me if I'm hurried and it's a very long line but that hasn't been the case and I usually use curbside check in if it's available...I do print my boarding passes ahead of time but I usually have a bag to check so that doesn't save me much.

I never have a long line at security because I'm pre TSA approved so get in the special line where I don't have to take off shoes etc.

Also, lines sometimes look long but move faster than you think.

My last DMV experience was quick, I made an appointment so it went quickly enough.

Also since iPhones... sitting in waiting rooms doesn't bother me because I just get online or even read.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2017
  9. Ina I. Wonder

Ina I. Wonder Supreme Member
    Registered

I can’t stand for long periods, and I don’t want to go in my wheelchair. It’s the one issue my doctor and I argue about.

The only lines I’ve stood in for more than 20 minutes were concerning the DMV or the SS office. I have to go to the SS office this coming week. :(

@Chrissy Cross, I didn’t know you could make an appointment for the DMV. Do you call them, or is it an online thing? o_O

10. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I forget if I did it online or the phone @Ina I. Wonder but the one in Clovis does it, don't know about all of them.

Ina I. Wonder likes this.
  11. Ina I. Wonder

Ina I. Wonder Supreme Member
    Registered

I’ll be calling to see if it is even offered here in Texas. I don’t need to go to the DMV untill this time next year, so maybe I can acquire an appointment by then. :rolleyes: :)

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  12. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

Yes u can do most evetything from their website.

Ina I. Wonder likes this.
  13. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

While we lived in the Phoenix area, the wait at DMV was sometimes an entire day! Folks got there 2 hours prior to opening time, to be among the first in line. The public outcry was tremendous. Did officials act to alleviate the problem? Yep. Arizona got "lifetime" Driver Licenses, which don't expire until age 65. That move helped enormously, but the registration for tags problem remained. It was helped greatly by mail-in forms. Another thing they did was institute an instant vehicle title program, titles are printed then and there. In Missouri, you waited sometimes for your title for 4 weeks.
    Frank

Ina I. Wonder and Yvonne Smith like this.