The Worst Film I Have Ever Seen

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Lon Tanner, Nov 5, 2018.

1. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

"Heaven's Gate" A three hour plus movie with a intermission. I was interested in viewing it because I like Christopher Walken and Kris Kristofferson et al and because it was loosely based on a historical fact regarding "The Jackson County Wars" in Casper Wyoming. I am a history buff. This 44 million dollar movie only grossed about 4 million. The filming was dark and dreary despite outstanding Wyoming scenery.
    I watched the whole damn film last night.

What was you're worst film?

Bobby Cole and Frank Sanoica like this.
  2. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Lon Tanner "Joe", 1970, with Peter Boyle. It was instantly heralded with acclaim in our area of Chicago as the main character, Joe, reviled minorities, particularly Blacks, in an early scene while talking to a bartender. Surprisingly, when I moved to very rural Missouri 30 years later, our nearest neighbor who was born close to our farmhouse, but lived and worked his entire lifetime in St. Louis, claimed the "Blacks are what ruined St. Louis", using almost the same sickening phrasing as Joe did.

"When Peter Boyle saw audience members cheering the violence in Joe, he refused to appear in any other film or television show that glorified violence. This included the role of Jimmy "Popeye" Doyle in The French Connection (1971). The role would earn Gene Hackman the Oscar for Best Actor."

Evidently, Boyle sickened even himself by appearing in the movie.

It was disgusting........
    Frank

Patsy Faye, Nancy Hart and Bobby Cole like this.
  3. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

I have seen several... they were so bad- I forgot about them on purpose:rolleyes:

4. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

That, and also, if they are that bad, I usually don't make it all the way through to the end of the movie.

5. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

High Plains Drifter with Clint Eastwood or almost any western with Clint Eastwood.

Bobby Cole and Patsy Faye like this.
  6. Lulu Moppet

Lulu Moppet Veteran Member
    Registered

"Fat City" with Stacy Keach and "Barry Lyndon" with Ryan O'Neal were the only movies I ever walked out on. Torture, the two of them.

I loved "Joe" and remember it as the first time I watched Susan Sarandon, who played Joe's daughter. Is it a spoiler after all these years to mention that as a result of Joe's paranoiac violence he kills her?

Bobby Cole likes this.
  7. Tim Burr

Tim Burr Veteran Member
    Registered

I watch mostly old Black and White movies, so I've seen my share of 'bad' movies.

Will sit through a movie because of the direction, acting, dialog, camera angles, editing, etc.,
    but the movie may be just overall terrible.

Recently read an article about the worst movies ever made, so thought I try a couple
    to see if they were really that bad.

First that I watched was "Battlefield Earth", ranked as THE worst of the worst.
    They were right. Every aspect of the film was flawed.

Next up was "Ishtar" with big name actors that had me wondering if there ever was a point
    to this movie being made, other that a star power pay check. Terrible movie.

Anyway, those are my picks and now back to my favorite B&W movies.

Holly Saunders and Bobby Cole like this.
  8. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

So I guess you're not a Scientologist then.

I couldn't begin to name the worst movie I have seen because there have been so many, and some of the worst are ones that I backed out of, and wouldn't remember the names.

9. Tim Burr

Tim Burr Veteran Member
    Registered

No way would I fall for Scientology.

I first heard of Hubbard in connection with Astounding Science Fiction and John W. Campbell.

Did not make his connection to the movie till it was over.:eek:

Ken Anderson likes this.
  10. Ken Anderson

I just finished doing the Scientology category for work today.

Tim Burr likes this.
  11. Mary Robi

Mary Robi Veteran Member
    Registered

There have been some real stinker films, for sure.

You'll watch some of them and ask "why the heck did the director/writer/producer/actors make this film when they HAD to know in advance that it was going to be stinko?"

12. Lulu Moppet

Lulu Moppet Veteran Member
    Registered

Hi Mary---The thing about my two worst movies is that both were highly critically acclaimed!

13. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

We've definitely seen some bad movies and one of them, that does stick out in my mind is Sisters starring Tina Fey and Amy Poehler. The language and other things were, to us, absolutely disgusting.

It wasn't the worst movie we've ever seen, but the new movie we just seen this past Saturday night definitely wasn't a "Hit" with us either. The movie, Instant Family. Octavia Spencer was in it, same lady that played God in The Shack, not only done some swearing in Instant Family, but also said the Lord's name in vain. Here's a lady that played God and then turns around and is in a movie where she denounces God. Octavia was one of my favorite black actresses, but definitely not so much now.

14. Ken Anderson

I wouldn't say it was the worst movie I've ever seen because there were so many, but of the ones that did well nevertheless, I would rate Moneyball down there with the worst. I had the urge to walk out of the theater but kept thinking that maybe it would get better, because why would Brad Pitt make such a crappy movie? But it never got better.

15. Tim Burr

Tim Burr Veteran Member
    Registered

Sometimes I think a 'Star' will agree to a movie just for the paycheck.
    They might be guaranteed a set amount, plus percentage, so why not do it.
    If they are a big enough star, a couple of bad movies can be blamed on others and it won't hurt them very much.

I have often wondered if the same is true for authors.

I'll start a book by one of my favorite authors, only to find out
    it seems hurried and not up to the usual standard.
    Mortgage payment due?...Child's tutition coming up?

Some very good actors seem to just 'walk' through the scenes in these bad movies.

Ken Anderson likes this.