The Volcano In Tonga Eruption

Discussion in 'Weather & Natural Disasters' started by Don Alaska, Jan 16, 2022.

1. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

A large undersea? volcano erupted yesterday and sent a small tsunami across the Pacific. There was an advisory rather than a warning, as the wave was expected to be small. The highest reported in Alaska was 3.3 feet, but many people here actually heard the explosion. I was not one of them, however, as the sound wave arrived here a 0400 local time and I was asleep without hearing aids at the hour.

2. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

It definitely caused flooding, even on the Pacific West Coast. Here is a video showing the tsunami in Tonga and also the eruption as well as the violent explosion caused when the volcano erupted.

3. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

The undersea volcano was caught by a Japanese weather satellite:

[​IMG]

Look at the shock waves radiate outwards!!!

(I wish there were a way to slow this down.)

4. Ed Wilson

Ed Wilson Veteran Member
    Registered

It makes me think how insignificant humans are in the greater scheme of things. We're like ants riding a big rock hurtling through space and the ride could end at any moment.

5. John Brunner

6. John Brunner

Snapshot_72.png Snapshot_73.png Snapshot_74.png Snapshot_75.png Snapshot_76.png

Daggone shock waves don't show up on the uploaded pics.

It's still fascinating.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2022
  7. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

I wonder how much that contributed to global warming... uh uh uh, I mean "Climate change".

Don Alaska and John Brunner like this.
  8. John Brunner

Planet Farts

9. Denise Evans

Denise Evans Supreme Member
    Registered

OMG, that blast scared me so bad, that first one, and the flooding ;( I'm not done the video yet. It's amazing how much more info we have now that all people can have cell-phones. This was pretty upsetting but I'm glad someone was able to film it.

There was a Tsunami hit Crescent City where I live now. You can still see some of what it damaged. This was 1964 when that happened. I wasn't here then, I was up in my home-town of Winston, Oregon back then.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2022
    Don Alaska and Yvonne Smith like this.
  10. John Brunner

The brain trust on CBS said the following about this volcano:

"We talk about climate change quite a bit. These stories are a harsh reality of what we're going through and we have to do our part because these are more frequent."

And heads bobbled.

See for yourself.

Shirley Martin likes this.
  11. Denise Evans

Registered

I'm not sold on climate change but only because I haven't researched as much as I can on it to even form an opinion, believing it or not. One question I have about it is, there seems to be a lot of catastrophic events in the history of the world, so it different now, than it was then? I admit to being uneducated on the "science" behind the climate change theory. I do see a lot now that there is the internet, so I think that our climate, storms, natural disasters are much more visible to me. Could the same catastrophes, maybe as big, happened 2-3000 years ago or more? It's just now we all have cell-phones, really shouldn't joke but it seemed to fit with what I'm saying.

John Brunner likes this.
  12. John Brunner

It's all BS. They lie about everything. "Record damage" for a hurricane is measured in dollars. A larger number of more expensive houses has nothing to do with the intensity of a given hurricane.

Regarding the CBS idiot...there is nothing that happens on the Earth's surface or atmosphere that causes magma to erupt. What a crock.

13. Denise Evans

Registered

I was a bit confused, again ;( @John Brunner because I thought you believed in climate change. I was a little surprised if you did, you don't strike me as someone that would, too smart ;) imo ;) I definitely lean towards the "I doubt it" crowd, as in, "I call bullshit" but I didn't want to start anything, lol!! As soon as I saw CBS I thought, what the heck? John wants me to watch them?? LOL!!

John Brunner likes this.
  14. John Brunner

That's pretty funny.

I believe that the climate changes, but I do not believe in man-caused climate change. Nor do I believe we can "destroy the planet." The sun and the magnetic shift have far greater impact that our straws and our SUVs. We may make it uninhabitable for ourselves (although I don't believe that we are), but if that happens, we shall die off and something shall replace us. That's the natural cycle of things. We are not immortal.

I also gotta throw out there that anyone who believes that we must save every species of critter that happens to exist while we are here is rather arrogant, and does not really believe in "evolution" or in "survival of the fittest."

Besides, go ahead and start something. Most (but not all) of us will engage an honest debate.

Shirley Martin and Denise Evans like this.
  15. Denise Evans

Registered

Well I did, but I sugar-coated it ;) I do know I have to take a big, step back sometimes because I can only get into so many conversations before my head explodes with a lot of what I just can't think about. That brain-overload thing where I just want to sit like a peaceful, blob of protoplasm and think about nothing ;)

John Brunner likes this.