The Value Of Fasting

Discussion in 'Diets & Dieting' started by Ken Anderson, Aug 24, 2018.

1. Audrey Claire

Audrey Claire Well-Known Member
    Registered

Fasting doesn’t necessarily mean total abstinence from food. I do the 5/2, and so two days a week I eat very low calorie. For example, lunch today is miso soup with tofu. Comes in at about 98 calories and it’s very satisfying. And the rest of the time, I just eat lean protein, salads, veg. I avoid potatoes and rice and pasta, although I’ll eat brown rice in small quantities and pulse pasta, which is delicious. I limit bread, and it has to be good grainy bread.
    I have a sweet tooth and I just have to ignore that. I’ll have a fig or cherries or a mandarin instead.
    I make everything from scratch and never buy prepared, bottled sauces etc. No convenience food is allowed in my pantry. I can still whip up a meal in no time.
    But back to fasting - when I feel deprived, I just say, suck it up, buttercup!

2. Steve North

Steve North Supreme Member
    Registered

Well Audrey.... Why not suck It up …………… but with the proper food...
    I find that fasting makes you super hungry and when you start eating again, naturally you overeat and the wrong foods....
    Why not just keep on eating properly and try to cut back on the portions.. don't deprive yourself of food, but don't overeat either..
    Personally, I don't believe in fasting but rather in eating good meals that are low carb..

3. Audrey Claire

Audrey Claire Well-Known Member
    Registered

I do eat normally, five days a week...so two days on rations isn’t too much of a sacrifice. I’ve actually never eaten large portions in my life, I’m the person who orders the entree instead of the main meal. I’ve never been technically overweight but I put fat on my middle, nowhere else. No reason for this as I’m active and don’t eat fatty or high carb rich foods. One thing. The 5/2 does is lower my cholesterol which is high - runs in the family, all skinny with high cholesterol, go figure.

4. Lois Winters

Lois Winters Veteran Member
    Registered

I do not deliberately fast unless I am having blood work or surgery or whatever. But if I am hungry, I'll eat and I eat what pleases me. If I am not hungry, well, I just forget about eating altogether until I am hungry again. Sometimes this can go on for a few days at a time. However, I do have to drink juice as my blood sugar tends to plummet.

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  5. Steve North

Steve North Supreme Member
    Registered

Lois...
    When you sort of skip a meal, how does you blood sugar take that ?? It would drop very low I would think..

6. Krystal Shay

Krystal Shay Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

The only time I fast intentionally is for a colonoscopy.

7. Joy Martin

Joy Martin Veteran Member
    Registered

Never did a colonoscopy and get all lab work done non fasting, and I kinda graze since retired, eat when I want a snack. Small portions not plate fulls.

8. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

I have done intermittent fasting. But I can't seem to get into a long fast. 30 hours is the most I can go, I think. I do find if I fall off the wagon or eat a high carb food, I crash and then I crave sweets, pasta...anything that is not nailed down. It is not that I deprive myself but it is nuts to stuff myself with foolish snack foods non stop, so, I try not to start by eating high carbs.
    I make a chocolate 'treat' with heated coconut oil, rum, almond flour, real cocoa, stevia and a tiny bit of salt. pressed into a container, The rum evaporates out as it dries a couple days. An occassional spoonful gets rid of my craving for chocolate. Otherwise I would be hitting the emergency bag of chocolate chips I used to keep in the cabinet.

9. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Can you post the amounts of each in your "treat"?

Janine Coral likes this.
  10. Joy Martin

Registered

Key is don't have that tempting stuff, sugar fixes, in your house. Don't BUY them. Learn to satisfy your desires in other ways.

Yvonne Smith and Janine Coral like this.
  11. Mary Stetler

Registered

I will try to measure the next time I make it. Sometimes I am just a mad scientist. It is definitely not a candy bar, but it does the trick.

12. Lois Winters

Lois Winters Veteran Member
    Registered

I cannot at my age, fast anymore. I have GI issues and eat small amounts a few times each day.

13. Janine Coral

Janine Coral Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

In my younger years I chose to fast one full day each week, it was of benefit
    to me overall, wish I could get my mindset to do it faithfully one day each
    week again..

14. Joy Martin

Registered

We've been fed so much info over decades and we believed so much. Thanks to the internet and more info, I have no desire to fast my body.

Sleeping the good hrs I sleep is plenty of Fasting. I too eat smaller little portions thru my day.

Lois Winters and Janine Coral like this.
  15. Mary Stetler

Registered

But I am too old to pick up guys at a bar anymore.
    o_O

Beth Gallagher and Bobby Cole like this.