The Thirteenth Floor, Alternate Reality Movie.

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Yvonne Smith, Aug 16, 2015.

1. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Last night we watched a very interesting movie, called The Thirteenth Floor, which is about a vritual reality world that is set back in the 1920's of America, in the State of California.
    One of the developers of the virtual reality world is murdered for unknown reasons; but since he thinks that something might happen to him, he leaves a clue for his partner to find.
    The catch is, he leaves the clue in the virtual world, so the partner now has to become part of that world and try to find the clue and learn who killed his friend, and more importantly, why he was murdered.

This movie actually came out in 1999, so it was released around the same time as the movie Matrix. Because there was so much talk about Matrix, the Thirteenth Floor was almost unnoticed for most of these years.
    Here is the trailer for the movie; but you can also watch the whole movie for free on youtube if you have not seen it before.

Ike Willis likes this.
  2. Ike Willis

Ike Willis Supreme Member
    Registered

Looks like something I need to see. The 1920's is my favorite decade. Love the music, fashions, cars and all.

3. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

This is an incredible movie, especially if you are intrigued by alternate universe or virtual world movies. I tink that it is one that I could watch over again , once we got to the ending and everything started to fall in place. This is one of those kindsssssssss of movies that keep you guesing as you go along, and then have to go back and watch over again just to see how everything was done the way that it was, because you miss some of the clues the first time through.
    They faded out the color just a little in the 1920's reality, which makes it seem even more realistic somehow.
    And since it is free on youtube, there is no reason not to watch it. There were a couple versions on there, one said you had to pay; but the next one that i checked said it was free.

Ike Willis likes this.
  4. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

@Yvonne Smith I think I've actually heard of this movie before, but have never seen it. Imagine if this actually existed? I'm putting this on my must watch list, thanks for sharing.

Ike Willis likes this.
  5. Jennifer Graves

Jennifer Graves Veteran Member
    Registered

Wonderful movie! Its been a really long time since I watched it, though. I'll have to look it up. I wouldn't mind watching it again. Do you know if Netflix has it?

6. Carlota Clemens

Carlota Clemens Veteran Member
    Registered

Back in 1999 and through the early 2000s I was deeply in love with virtual reality, and even learning how to code some simple virtual worlds, besides of having a virtual home set on an online virtual community requiring the free-to-download Blaxxun plugin for a full virtual reality effect.

However I have never heard of this movie and certainly would like to watch it. Not my very favorite decade, but the 1920s is one of my favorites too :)

7. Jennifer Graves

Jennifer Graves Veteran Member
    Registered

reading this made me feel like I was reading a post in an entirely different language, lol. I'm so far behind on the technology for virtual reality that its scary. I don't know how far its come, or when it got to where its out. But the movie is excellent. If we are anywhere near this kind of virtual reality being available, I could really get into it. I'm not sure, but I believe it came out at the same time as a few other movies with a somewhat similar name. Its really easy for movies to get lost in the mix when that happens.