The Skinny Of It All

Discussion in 'Tall Tales & Fabrications' started by Bill Boggs, Aug 3, 2017.

1. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

Okay. I’m using Apple’s Pages to write this and I’m using the font Comic Sans, MS, 14 point. To bad we don’t have a selection of fonts on this site so that comic Sans might transfer smoothly. Well, that’s really beside the point. This is going to be something of a random rant. Sort of a point, counter point to my former post just to see what I have to say.

Forget personalities. The only person involved is me, myself, and I. Suppose I could address this to all you ladies and gentlemen, hoboes and tramps, cross-eyed mosquitos, and bow-legged ants or whomever you might be so you’d feel spoken to and not left out, should you have sensitive skin. No really, all joking aside, I’m being my sincere self.

True I was born and raised in Texas, a city boy with eastern ways. True I did for a while wear a western style hat, narrow brim, and wore the cowboy boots. I never favored the sharp pointed toe, preferred the rounded toe. There’s a name for them but it slips my mind. The only time I felt comfortable in this type boot was when I was walking in rattlesnake infested country.

Now I’ve lived in Texas, Oklahoma, and New Mexico. Never back east or up north, or out west or really down south. There’s a sign in Ft. Worth, Texas that reads, “Where the West begins.” I always lived west of Ft. Worth so I’ve lived in the West. Another way to find where the West begins is to face the North, extend out your left arm. That’s where the West begins. Anywhere west of your current position is westward and therefore where the West starts.

Now I've lived in the West I but like the East. How can that be? Well, I favor the New York Times for my news. Now I know TV exist and has some major channels that feature 24/7 news but I favor the printed page. The New York Times suits me. I guess a close second would be the Washington Post.

Some like the big 3 of sports, football, baseball, even basketball. Some folks like to visit zoos. Others play golf or prefer rodeoing. What a drag. I can’t really believe we are still watching baseball here in the twenty-first century. Football is scrambling brains, and basketball, what can you say about that. Not much. Zoos are a family venture, nice I guess. I played golf, missed golf when I retired. Takes a long time play a round of golf, too long.

Some people like rodeoing, bronc and bull riding, calf roping and barrel racing. Clowns. I’ll tell you about rodeos. I would class bull riding right up there with bull fighting as in Spain and Mexico. Both ought to be outlawed, banished from the face of the earth.

Never saw a rodeo guy that didn’t have some kind of slight limp or an arm just a little out of kilter or bones busted up ll over. Broke most of the time with not enough money in his jeans to get to his next ride, often borrowing from uncle Billy to make ends meet. Any money made was spent on fancy boots or wide brimmed Resistol hats, or fancy belt buckles, as if one or all of these things might make that cowboy good at something and make him look the part. Truth be known, makes him crazy maybe.

A word to the wise, you want to see my cowboy? Look at George Straight. now he’ll turn heads. The word cowboy didn’t exist back on early ranches where cattle were raised to take to market and hopefully bring a profit. They were known as stock hands. Writers and B movies turned stock hands into cowboys. But that’s all right. Our language is colorful. Any subject can be enhanced or diminished, slated one direction or the other, you can make it pro or con, good or bad. Some of us can’t help if ours is always headed south, tanked. I think its that dang font I’m using, that Comic Sans MF or whatever it is. No wonder this site don’t use it. You just have to keep on keeping on till something good happens. Remember I did say, "I'm just rambling." Cheers.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2017
    Patsy Faye and Holly Saunders like this.
  2. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Here is one of my favorite songs about what a "real cowboy" is. I think it fits in good with your thread, @Bill Boggs , and I hope you like it, too.

3. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

Enjoyed the read Bill :)

Bill Boggs likes this.
  4. Bill Boggs

Registered

I had never heard this song or this this singer. I liked both. Don't know how I missed them. I listened to it, then listened and played along on the harmonica. Goes real well with a harp. And you're right, it do go well with the thread. Thanks.

Holly Saunders and Yvonne Smith like this.
  5. Bill Boggs

Registered

Thanks, Patsy.

Patsy Faye likes this.
  6. Tim Burr

Tim Burr Veteran Member
    Registered

Liked the 'rant'.

When you mentioned 'round toed boots' my thoughts
    turned to Engineer Boots my older brother wore with a matching black jacket.

[​IMG]

Please keep putting your thoughts down and sharing with us.
    It's what I enjoy about this site.
    Just write what you feel. It's all good. We're friends here.

Patsy Faye likes this.
  7. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

Oh, how I agree with you :)

8. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

9. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

10. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Here is another song that I really like, too. it is called "The Last Cowboy Song" and is sung by Ed Bruce and Willie Nelson. The old time pictures on this video fit perfectly with the character of the song.