The Shockingly Low Salaries Of Professional Cheerleaders

Discussion in 'Movies & Entertainment' started by Arlene Richards, May 27, 2016.

1. Arlene Richards

Arlene Richards Veteran Member
    Registered

2. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

I think many people watch the games about half and half for the actual sport and half for the cheerleaders. Not only do they work hard to prepare and then perform, they now have to be very active on social media, as well. I'm sure some, if not all, are hoping to propel themselves into better careers through their efforts, it's pretty disgusting how much money is pulled into the franchises, and given to specific individual players, yet the cheerleaders are treated like second (or third, fourth, or fifth) class citizens. I knew they were poorly paid, but I thought they made around $30,000/year. Hopefully the article will open a lot of eyes and result in changes that improve their situations.

Arlene Richards likes this.
  3. Arlene Richards

Arlene Richards Veteran Member
    Registered

The article is a couple years old but I couldn't find a current update so I assume nothing has changed.

Compare to Rockettes who make about $36,000/year, with year round benefits although the work is seasonal (as is the cheerleaders).

Rockettes are based in NYC so cost of living eats up a lot of their salary, do they would almost have to have second jobs. But anyway you slice it the cheerleader salary is pitiful.

Last edited: May 28, 2016
    Diane Lane likes this.
  4. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

It sounds similar to how flight attendants were or are. I don't know if their situation has improved, but back in the 80s I worked with someone who quit the corporation we worked at to become a flight attendant. Like many, she did it mainly for the travel, since the pay was abysmal. They tended to live about 6 to a tiny apartment just so they could pay the rent. Apparently they made good money for the hours they were in the air, but were paid really poorly the rest of the time, and it didn't seem to balance out to a very good salary.

5. Julie Stewart

Julie Stewart Veteran Member
    Registered

This a completely different cultural outlook for me. We don't have a history of cheerleaders in Europe. To be honest I assumed that the girls danced for free - as a hobby. But that is probably the result of watching films in which high school has featured and the cheerleaders are always the cool girls who get the cool boys.

From my cultural perspective (British-French) I don't understand the role of of the reason for these performances at sports events - the sport I want to watch is enough for me.

Having said all that - cheer leading is gaining popularity in Europe. But more as an independent activity and as a dance type. There are competitions, performances and exhibitions just as there are for Irish Dancing or Ball Room dancing. But cheerleaders are rarely seen at major sporting events.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  6. Texas Beth

Texas Beth Veteran Member
    Registered

That is all that they earn?? Like you, I would have thought the earned so much more. Think of all the hours spent practicing, watching what they eat, and hours spent traveling. I guess it is all about prestige and bragging rights.