The Secret Garden

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Ken Anderson, Nov 7, 2018.

1. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I have read the book, and have seen four versions of this movie, and loved them all.

The Secret Garden is a children's book published in 1911. In the novel, Mary Lennox is a sickly and unloved 10-year-old girl, with British parents, but living in India. Ignored by her parents, she is cared for by servants.

Her parents and the servants die in a cholera epidemic, and Mary is discovered alone in an otherwise empty house. She is sent to live with a wealthy uncle who lives in a large, isolated mansion in England.

The uncle isn't particularly interested in her, so she is ignored by him, as she was by her parents. However, a maid tells her of a private walled garden, which her late aunt used to tend to. When she died in the garden, her husband locked the garden and buried the key.

Eventually, Mary finds the buried key, and then the hidden door to the garden itself, which has been untended for years. With the help of the friendly maid, she sneaks out to the garden, tending to it. The maid introduces her to her 12-year-old brother, and they become friends, tending the garden together.

One night, Mary hears someone sobbing at night. Following the sound of the cries, she finds a boy her age, named Colin, who lives in a hidden bedroom of the house, and discovers that they are cousins, Colin being the son of her uncle.

Eventually, she brings Colin to the secret garden, in his first adventure outside of his room in years. With friends and sunlight, he is able to get up from his wheelchair.

The boy's father (and Mary's uncle) returns from an overseas trip to find his son walking, and the garden in full bloom. The boy and his father walk back to the mansion together.

That's pretty much the story to the movies as well. There were others, mostly by the same name. I know of these, but I think there were also one or two made-for-television movies, an animated movie, and a television series, which I didn't see.
    A couple of these were sequels, though - Back to the Secret Garden and Return to the Secret Garden.

I am watching the 2017 version right now. It's the same story, only a steampunk version of it, well done, and interesting.

2. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

Ive seen it but couldn't tell you which one it was.

I'll have to take a look at the 2017 version ......thanks.

3. Ken Anderson

I think the 1993 one was the most popular.

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  4. Beatrice Taylor

Beatrice Taylor Veteran Member
    Registered

I remember the 1949 version with Margaret O'Brien.

Margaret O'Brien was always a little too sappy/over the top for my tastes but it was a good movie for the time.

[​IMG]

Nancy Hart and Ken Anderson like this.
  5. Ken Anderson

"The Secret Garden" is kind of a sappy movie, but I like it.

Beatrice Taylor likes this.
  6. Steve North

Steve North Supreme Member
    Registered

We had the 1993 version in our video shop and it was popular..

Ken Anderson likes this.