The Router Issue

Discussion in 'Gadgets & Tech Talk' started by Diane Lane, Aug 31, 2016.

1. Tim Burr

Tim Burr Veteran Member
    Registered

We have Xfinity also, and so far they are doing a good job.
    Price is high of course, but the ability to log on to one their towers
    when out and about makes it worthwhile. I can start streaming a TV show
    on the bus and there are enough tower overlap to watch it all the way to downtown.
    ( my tablet is wifi only )
    My home download speed is 70 to 75 mpbs. The last outage was when a truck hit
    the pole down the block and knocked out everything. Right now, our budget allows for the
    higher cost. Who knows down the road.

Diane Lane and Chrissy Cross like this.
  2. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I should have gone with Xfinity....I've gotten lots of good deal incentives from them in the mail. At least my first year would have been cheap plus a $200 Visa card.

3. Chrissy Cross

Registered

image.jpg

Okay, looked at my bill. I guess after 3 months I'm finally getting the bill I was promised...sort of. They said $117 but they never add tax so I guess $127 is what I'm paying for TV I never watch, a home phone I never use and the internet. :(

Diane Lane likes this.
  4. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

When we had DirecTV installed I read our contract and the cancellation fee is extremely high. When AT&T and DirecTV have merged or whatever happened we had nothing but billing problems for about 4 months. I couldn't access DTV online and when talking to the AT&T reps about DTV billing was a headache. I was put on hold several times on just one call as they were trying to assist me. I was as pleasant and patient as I could be as I waited.

About that time AT&T decided to change their charge for internet usage. Uggh! I wanted not to be charged the extra $20 or $30 month and the rep was trying to convince me otherwise. I finally and firmly stated that. Geez...:confused:

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  5. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I even hate their menu, it's the worst! I get so angry just talking to the menu that I think I swore once.

I usually try to bypass it all by pressing 0 but doesn't always work.

Since my bill is finally almost what I was promised 3 months ago, I'll let it go for awhile but I'm not happy.

I really haven't watched TV since I got Direct.

AT&T TV had 2 tbs channels. Which had the same programs but at diffrent time zones. I liked falling asleep to Big Bang Theory which I watched starting at 8:00 PM which was TBS est.

Direct TV only has one TBS and Big Bang starts at 5:00 PM. Of course different days had different starting times but I had the option of catching the later one.

Now by the time I go to bed, it's over. I could record but I'd have to wake up to start the next one and I usually dose off. I know it sounds stupid but I had my ocd way of going to bed and falling asleep and Direct doesnt provide me with that....I didn't know when I signed on. I know I wouldn't have done it, if this was the way it was.

I used to have AT&T as an automatic debit payment from my acct but stopped that after every month was different. I had one month where I almost had a heart attack...$285!

I called and after a half day on the phone I got it down to $185, I still don't understand why I was charged that.

It had to do with the lie I was told about putting a vacation hold on my service. I was going to my sons for 5 weeks and right before I was talking them about the high price of my service. The lady suggested a hold.

I had her repeat it a few times to make sure their were no catches but of course their were.

When I called about the $285 bill, that person said the worst thing you can do is put a hold on your service. So I was prorated and all the other words they use to tell you why they charged you for something.

They all tell you something different and when you get off the phone you're satisfied until the next bill comes.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2016
    Diane Lane and Von Jones like this.
  6. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

I have experienced that to @Chrissy Page after the merger. I don't trust auto pays unless I know it is going to be a specific amount just for that reason. Also the date that the payment is to be deducted. I prefer to make payment online because they bill you a month in advance and they don't send you money back but credit your account instead. I'd rather have my money in my pocket.

I know now that you have to ask the right questions to get the right answers and maybe you might get lucky and talk to a rep that is straight up with you rather than promote the company's product.

Diane Lane and Chrissy Cross like this.
  7. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Lately I've just been calling a little before my bill is due and paying over the phone with my debit card.

All these hassles and all I really use is my internet so basically I'm paying $127 for internet and maybe an hour every night of TV. I've switched to watching the Food network to fall asleep except I want to see what the food is so I'm always opening my eyes whereas with the reruns of Big Bang listening to the dialogue was enough because I've seen the shows so many times I know what they're doing.

I like "Chopped".

Last edited: Sep 2, 2016
    Diane Lane likes this.
  8. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

It's football season so I don't watch television that much but I have seen the commercials on Chopped.

9. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I used to love Food Network but they've strayed so far from the original concept with stupid shows that I quit watching.

Von Jones likes this.
  10. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

That's funny. Yesterday before Johnny switched to NFL network he was watching the Food Network. I thought it was boring.

11. Chrissy Cross

Registered

As for the contract with Direct TV, I'm pretty sure I can get out of it...maybe. The house is in a trust and my daughter pays the mortgage. We did this a long time ago after my husband died.

I didn't ask my daughter if I could put a Satellite dish on the house, I don't even tell her I was doing it. If I was a renter I would need the owners permission but I don't know how trusts work. Anyway, it would be complicated.

Also,they misinformed me about a lot of things. It depends how far they would go to enforce a contract I guess.

Diane Lane likes this.
  12. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

Well, Chrissy, if any thing, I think that you can reduce the services to a minimum for the rest of the contract period if you want to decrease your costs.

13. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I don't think I can, this was a special deal. Only thing I can maybe reduce is TV pkg and go to basic but I bet it won't be much cheaper.

I'm already at basic with the home phone and I need the darn thing because my security system uses it.

14. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

Just make the call and all they can do is say no but I believe they want to keep you as a customer.:rolleyes:

K E Gordon and Chrissy Cross like this.
  15. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Lol, I am considered a "loyal" customer! That's what they would tell me when I would tell them I'm done with them.

They would transfer my call to someone who could "help" me because at the time they had no special offers to give me but since I'm a loyal customer I can talk to the top manager. That's how I ended up with Direct TV.

It just gets me that this is my highest monthly bill and usually I'm only home 2 weeks in every month and I never use my phone or watch TV.

I may cancel ADT which I haven't used in 3 months but I'm afraid the minute I do they have people come and rob you. :)

Von Jones likes this.