The Rat Patrol

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Ken Anderson, Jun 12, 2016.

1. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Remember The Rat Patrol, which was on from 1966-1968? I have been binge-watching it on Netflix DVDs, since it's not available streaming. For some reason, although they are supposedly fighting Rommel's Afrika Korps, there is not a single Nazi swastika in evidence among the German troops. The German cross is used on their vehicles and uniforms. Anyhow, I am enjoying the series as much now as I did when it was on the air.

2. Ken Anderson

I guess I spoke too soon. Although I'm in the second season, not long after I posted about it, there was a scene in a German officer's quarters where there was a German flag with swastika on the wall. There are a few little annoyances but overall, it's a good series, perhaps not historically accurate but good for entertainment purposes.

In the episode I'm watching now, four of them went into the German headquarters to rescue a boy. Two of them went over the fence, which wasn't very high, and killed the two guards at the gate. Then they went across the yard to the front door and killed the guard there. Then, for some reason, one of them ran all the way back across the yard to open the gate for the other two. Were they crippled or what? Then when they got to the boy, rather than taking them out the door with them, they somehow managed to find some netting that they used to catch him as another one of them threw the kid off the balcony. It was like they just wanted the scene in there whether it made any sense at all.

3. Gary Ridenour

Gary Ridenour Veteran Member
    Registered

the episodes are on the tube

Denise Evans likes this.
  4. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina Isobe Veteran Member
    Registered

I vaguely remember Rat Patrol. Found them on youtube.com! I watched it when I was young too.

5. Texas Beth

Texas Beth Veteran Member
    Registered

I grew up with older brothers so there were a lot of war movies and westerns to watch. I was 8 - 10 years old when I watched Rat Patrol. I remember them sailing over sand dunes in their vehicle, although I really wasn't sure who we were fighting. I need to see if I can find it on Netflix.

6. Ike Willis

Ike Willis Supreme Member
    Registered

I remember 'Rat Patrol'. Only saw some of them. My all time favorite was 'Combat' with Vic Morrow.

7. Denise Evans

Denise Evans Supreme Member
    Registered

They didn't put the Swastika in the show?? I watched it, and was in love/lust with Christopher George, LOL!! Last thing I saw him in, that I can remember, was El Dorado with the Duke;)

The Story of Rommel is on my Roku 2, I think it's on Netflix?? James Mason plays the part. I love The Rat Patrol though, those guys were good, and I love it when the good guys win;)

8. Denise Evans

Denise Evans Supreme Member
    Registered

Thanks Gary, I can watch a few on that if I want then:)

9. Ken Anderson

I only saw a couple of them, and they were in the same episode. Mostly, they used the German cross.

10. K E Gordon

K E Gordon Veteran Member
    Registered

I know that show was on, but I don;t remember watching it. I was pretty young at the time. One I did watch though since my dad was a fan was Combat, with the late great Vic Morrow. One show that would be fun to watch again, but I never looked for it on Netflix would be the Mod Squad. That was a hip and happenin show in it's day. It was sort of a precursor to 21 Jump Street.

Rachel Rodarte likes this.
  11. Rachel Rodarte

Rachel Rodarte Veteran Member
    Registered

I remember watching it Rat Patrol, back then I was into all kinds of war movies. I also remember watching Combat with my dad, we would lay on the bed and watch it every Friday, he make us popcorn (he made the best popcorn ever). Combat was my favorite. My dad was always into war movies and I guess that's why I got into them. Now I can't watch, they got to bloody for me. lol

K E Gordon likes this.