The Problems With Using A Gun For Self Defense

Discussion in 'Guns & Weapons' started by Brittany Houser, May 17, 2015.

1. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

People are killed by cars every day, but that doesn't mean we should ban them.

2. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

True and drugs. We have always had guns but out society was more civilized most of those years.

3. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

But the gov't wants gun control. They don't want to hear that!
    The controlled media puts all the gun usage they want us to see 'out there' but none they don't. CHICAGO. More anti gun laws than you can shake a stick at, yet 1000s of black on black shootings...you hear very little about it because it proves laws don't help control the law breakers, just the law abiding.
    We don't need more laws; we need to enforce the laws we have and maybe to remove some.
    The gov't can take away your access to your own money in the blink of an eye if you do something they don't like. They want your guns so you can't stand up for yourself if they are unreasonable. They are trying some new laws to control guns in California. If they pass there, they will move on to the rest of the country.

Marie Mallery and Don Alaska like this.
  4. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

US policy is to arm everyone else in the world, at our expense, while disarming American citizens.

5. Thomas Windom

Thomas Windom Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I was just reading this thread and had come across this post on another site a bit earlier. It was a tweet.

Greg Price
    @greg_price11

400 heavily armed officers in Uvalde waited in a hallway for an hour while a mass shooter gunned down 19 children. A 22-year-old kid with a pistol in Indiana took down a mass shooter in 15 seconds.”

Good people with a gun are not a problem, quite the contrary. Criminals are a problem, with or without a gun.

6. Thomas Windom

Registered

Yep.

Also, the talk about the U.S. having such a gun violence problem compared to other countries is usually the result of cherry picking comparisons. Here is a chart showing homicide by firearm rate and fun ownership rate. The U.S. is on the far left of the chart, right next to Switzerland. I’ve not seen a more recent version. Sorry for the low resolution, kind of hard to fit it in.

upload_2022-12-22_15-10-28.png

Mary Stetler and Don Alaska like this.
  7. Lois Winters

Lois Winters Veteran Member
    Registered

Comparatively speaking, this is an enormous country with multiple cultures, and at present a huge illegal immigration problem.

Expect more firearms than ever before.

Now that grand larceny seems to have overtaken our civilized society with little or no consequences, shop keepers will all become armed to the teeth.

8. Thomas Windom

Registered

The other problem is recidivism, this revolving door for what are obviously career criminals. How many times have we read the miscreant “had a long criminal record”?

9. Jessica Morgan

Jessica Morgan Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

We don't carry guns here, our cops aren't even armed unless they are from the armed response unit. Criminals carry guns though and there was a drive by shooting on Christmas Eve, a young woman out with family and friends was shot dead, 3 others are injured. Poor woman was an innocent victim just out celebrating.

My auntie who lived in New York came home to see us a few times, I remember we were fascinated when she told us she has a licensed gun in New York that she has for self defense.
    Do any members here in the States own a licensed gun?

Don Alaska and Bobby Cole like this.
  10. Thomas Windom

Registered

Many, many people do. The regulations vary a lot by state. Here in Maryland, you have to have an HQL (Handgun Qualification License) to buy a handgun (muzzle loaders are different) as well as what are consider regulated firearms. HQLs require fingerprinting, picture ID, a fee and training. Possession of many types of firearms are outright banned in the state by description or “copy cat” features. None of that gives you permission to exercise your right to keep and bear arms, for that you need another permit, more finger printing, 16 hours of formal instruction, and it’s not cheap.

11. Jessica Morgan

Jessica Morgan Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Sounds pretty scary to me, so if I was in the States the chances are that the people around me would be armed?

Bobby Cole likes this.
  12. Thomas Windom

Registered

It depends on the state. In Maryland, low probability. In Wyoming, higher probability. Criminals are armed any time they want to be. U.S. citizens who go through all the red tape to be able to carry armed are extremely rarely a problem. With the recent SCOTUS decision, I might be one of them next year, haven’t made up my mind but at least now I have a choice.

13. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Probably most members here own some type of gun(s). I'm in Texas so we are armed to the teeth. :D

[​IMG]

14. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Even when our present resident of the Oval Office was the Vice President, he highly recommended that the ladies have a double barreled shot gun….
    See how well That works out…

15. Hoot Crawford

Hoot Crawford Veteran Member
    Registered

The latest numbers I could find were from 2019, and it was estimated that approx 6 million people carried weapons. Sounds like a lot, but is less than 2% of the population. It is believed that the #s and the %s are both going up, though.

It isn't something I worry about at all.