The Power Of Aspirin

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Corie Henson, Aug 13, 2015.

1. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

I have a relative who used to take one aspirin a day. He said that it is good for the blood particularly for those with high blood pressure since the aspirin is anti-coagulant - it thins the blood in a way. When I asked my brother-in-law who is a physician, he agreed with the blood thinning and he even said that it lowers the blood pressure somehow. However, it is not recommended without prescription. Home remedy and self-curing is not advisable with the use of over the counter medicines.

PS. Aspirin relieves hangover. Take one pill with a glass of water.

Ike Willis likes this.
  2. Ike Willis

Ike Willis Supreme Member
    Registered

I take one low dose aspirin at bedtime, as my doc instructed. I've only experienced a few hangovers in my early years. Eventually I developed a high tolerance to alcohol, and never been troubled with a hangover since.

Corie Henson likes this.
  3. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I take one low-dose aspirin a day also. Many people don't realize how effective aspirin can be in a cardiac emergency. When I was a paramedic, the first thing we would give someone with signs or symptoms of a heart attack is a low-dose aspirin. Even when it gets to the point where a blood vessel to the heart is occluded, an aspirin can clear it up. It's not a permanent fix of course, but it's the first thing in a heart attack algorithm, right up there with oxygen. If you think you may be having a heart attack at home, taking a low-dose aspirin even before the ambulance gets there can save your life. This is on case in which more is not better, however; one low-dose aspirin should be sufficient.

Ike Willis and Corie Henson like this.
  4. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

One colleague of my husband suffered a stroke in Oct of last year. He was working on something so he got only 2 hours sleep and that morning he took a bath and had breakfast before leaving home for an appointment. During that time, he had already complained of a headache, maybe a terrible one but he did not specify because his wife might worry.

In the venue of his appointment, he collapsed. According to him, he had lost sensation in his left side of the body including his foot and hand. Good thing a security guard saw him and he was immediately brought to the hospital. Now he is paralyzed on his left part of the body. I remember his wife mentioned what the doctor had said - if he had taken an aspirin for that headache, the outcome may not be what worse.

Ike Willis likes this.
  5. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

In many ways, a stroke and a heart attack are the same thing, the difference being in which part of the body is affected. When a portion of the heart doesn't receive enough oxygenated blood due to an occlusion or rupture, its called a heart attack, but when it occurs in the brain it's a stroke.

Ike Willis and Corie Henson like this.
  6. Martin Alonzo

Martin Alonzo Supreme Member
    Registered

To prevent strokes and heart attacks from blood clots take omega 3 fish oil. Dr Wallach won a law suet against the FDA so he could make that claim.

7. Pat Baker

Pat Baker Supreme Member
    Registered

I have seen the ads on tv about aspirin being good to take in an emergency like a stroke. I have not been taking any aspirin therapy but think I will start to keep a low dose aspirin around and use it.

8. Martin Alonzo

Registered

Who tells you that aspirin is good for you the company that makes it of course. Or was it the doctor who only makes money when you are sick and would like to keep you that way.

9. Ike Willis

Registered

Willows contain Salicin, a substance that chemically resembles aspirin. It has also been used to treat pain, headache, toothache, mouth sores, stomach problems, and diarrhea. The Pomo tribe boiled the inner root bark to use in tea to induce sweating in cases of chills and fever. In the south, the Natchez prepared their fever remedies from the bark of the red willow, while the Alabama and Creek Indians plunged into willow root baths for the same purpose.]

Many plants contain salicylic acid, an ingredient in aspirin.

That's good enough for me.

10. Martin Alonzo

Registered

11. Ike Willis

Registered

I'm not familiar with Natural News but after looking at the advertisements on their site, seems to me they just want to sell products that also may be of questionable value, health wise.

12. Hannah Davis

Hannah Davis Veteran Member
    Registered

I have mixed feelings about Aspirin. Yes, we can say that it does have benefits and it does in a low dose form when it comes to preventing a heart attack or stroke. However, it can also cause bleeding in those with ulcers or other conditions that can cause excessive bleeding. So, it always important to consult a physician before taking it. For that matter as some have pointed out there are other options as well and the Internet can come in handy in finding out what these are.

13. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered