The Pokemon Go Craze

Discussion in 'Gadgets & Tech Talk' started by Corie Henson, Aug 11, 2016.

1. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

Pardon me if this does not belong to this board, Admin kindly move it to the appropriate board. Thanks.

The current craze is Pokemon Go, a gadget game that uses GPS for the needed map because the game uses landmarks. I wrote "gadget game" because it is not applicable in computers particularly desktop computers. Designed for the smart phone, the player hunts for the monsters (not sure if they call it such) which the game indicates to be hiding in a particular location. Yeah, the player has to move from one place to another. The come on is that the player gets to exercise because it is a moving game.

Have you played it? I think it will just be a passing craze. Computer game players are inherently lazy.

Krissttina Isobe and Diane Lane like this.
  2. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

I don't like the idea of it Corie
    Hope it fizzles out and soon, people on the move have enough distraction to contend with, now we have eejits
    glued to their phone and running at the same time :eek: :confused:

3. Ike Willis

Ike Willis Supreme Member
    Registered

Wouldn't it be great if people had the same interest in pursuing and doing a job?

4. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

Apparently the little convenience store at the edge of our neighborhood has been designated a PokeStop, and now we have all manner of teens and even adults inundating the place, standing in front of houses trying to catch Pokemon creatures. Coincidentally, someone's house was tagged (spray painted with a symbol or two), and another neighbor's flags (USA and Texas) were stolen. I don't know if the incidents are related, but it seems odd that suddenly after strangers have been drawn here, we're seeing an increase in such incidents.

There are other games being created based on the popularity of PokemonGo, so although the PokemonGo craze might fade, I'm not sure the overall effect will.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  5. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

My older grandsons played it, even when they went on vacation in Maui. School started for the 17 year old so don't know if he still does or not.

Both boys were really into Pokemon growing up, with cards and plush animals. I even played the game with the cards with a few of the younger grandsons but that was a while ago and I forgot most of the names of the
    Popular characters.

I think it all started when gameboys came out and that was one of the games. This was before iPhones.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  6. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

*sigh* there's always one nutcase isn't there.?..and here's the first :rolleyes:

Police say a young woman has lodged a formal complaint that she has been raped - by a Pokemon.

She told officers that she had been sexually assaulted by a giant Pokemon in her apartment in the Russian capital city of Moscow.

The married woman, whose name has not been released, had reportedly been playing Pokemon GO before she fell asleep.

She claimed that she woke up to find a huge Pokemon lying on top of her body and says it was raping her.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-detected-creature-bedroom.html#ixzz4H3sYLW00

Last edited: Aug 12, 2016
    Ike Willis likes this.
  7. Chrissy Cross

Registered

8. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina Isobe Veteran Member
    Registered

:p
    No I don't play pokemon go. I went to pokemon site to see games, but nothing interested me, so I just don't play pokemon not even pokemon go. We have poke bowls made with chunks of raw fish and vegetables...in our newspaper's spin on the pokemon go craze we have poke a Hawaiian dish of raw fish. You can get it with vegetables or rice. One place that opened up in our neighborhood that was featured in the newspaper Dinning Out section this past Sunday was Ahi & Vegetables located in our Kapalama Shopping Center right in Kalihhi.

http://dining.staradvertiser.com/ is the site for the articles. Locally too the pokemon go got really started and is going strong so far.

[​IMG] This dish you can find at Ahi & Vegetables.
    image is from http://www.yelp.com/biz/ahi-and-vegetable-honolulu-3

For more on the menu of Ahi & Vegetables go to this link please. http://www.hiotm.com/city/honolulu-west-salt-lake-to-kalihi_645/listing/ahi-vegetable/
    :)

9. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

I asked my wife just this afternoon about this Pokey thing, and she knew little more than I. The reason I asked was, yesterday I read of a woman somewhere who was suing, I think the local Municipality, for failing to maintain her safety, seeking $30 million. She claims hoards of people have been climbing her fence and entering her property day and night.

Are folks going nuts universally?

Frank

10. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

From what I understand about the game, yeah, players of Pokemon Go are crazy. The game would indicate a location where the target may be hiding. Since it's using GPS for the map, your house can be one of the subject although usually it is a landmark like a school or a government building. But nevertheless, the player has to go to that location so the target will appear on his phone and he can slay it. So if the player will not move around then he couldn't earn points. Truly, it's a moving game, literally.

11. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I know some very mature, otherwise sensible people who love this game. I'm afraid to try it because if I find that I like it, I'll have to sign myself into some program or something.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2016
    Frank Sanoica likes this.
  12. Texas Beth

Texas Beth Veteran Member
    Registered

My teenage son is a gamer, but has yet to do Go. I think the game gets people out of their homes and into the outside world. It has also made the creators of Go alot of money. Would I play Go? No. Because I am lazy.

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  13. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Lol, me too.

I've been addicted to Paradise Cove for many years and I'm finally weening myself away from it.

It can be very expensive and to be a top player you have to spend a lot and I've heard people spending close to a thousand $ a weekend to win a pretend ship.

Most I've spent on the game is maybe $100 a month and that's too much. It's also gotten away from the original storyline and it's just battles mostly now and predictable quests.

14. Chrissy Cross

Registered

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

This is the game. That's how much in app purchases are. I haven't spent money on it in a long time
    And I just have those rubies and coins because I've been saving them and not playing.

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  15. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

I may be going nuts.

Frank

Sandy Wood and Chrissy Cross like this.