The Pit And The Peak Of Your Day

Discussion in 'Happy Talk' started by Holly Saunders, Oct 26, 2017.

1. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

Still combating the lost internet connection. Someone is to come out today between 1-5 to try and correct. Problem is on their end but regardless if what I do can not connect even though they show problem solved.
    Then as of last night decided my apt manger is the idiot have always been told she is.
    So will try and get Corp. .office involved see if they can do something with the people up stairs with excessive noise and their loud large dogs.
    I could go on but all if this is trivial compared to others real problems.
    So will carry on as usual;)

Beth Gallagher and John Brunner like this.
  2. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Irresponsible people are the main reason I stayed house poor for so long rather than return to apartment life. It's like having roommates you get no say-so in accepting or rejecting. If Corp is of no use, the cops might be.

3. Hedi Mitchell

Registered

Have called the cops couple of times.
    We are going on nine years and
    have never had any real issues until now.

4. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

John, we found out, after buying our last house, that living in a house can have it's own problems also. Especially when living in a Housing Development (numerous houses):

New neighbor had two dogs, that would spend the day in the backyard. The wife was told by her husband to put the dogs into the garage when she went to bed. She didn't do it. He worked Grave Yard shift as a Security Guard for school district. We ended up talking with him and he was stunned to hear the dogs were in the backyard and barking at 2AM. He took care of it.

Behind our house/backyard was a small slope and houses lined up along that slope. The Development was next to a small woods. Now and then, two large woods owls would perch themselves on the roof of the house behind us. One on each end of the roof. Our upstairs bedroom window, behind the bed, faced that house. At 3AM, the "hooting" would start by both of them. It was very quiet, so their "hooting" was pretty loud. I had to get up at 5:15AM to get ready for work. I got our high-intensity boat light (battery operated), shined it straight up into the sky and lowered the beam to one of the owls. It flew off and the other followed. I never let the light hit the house behind us.........only the body of the owl.

So, that's why I say, living in a house, unless the house is far away (mile/miles) from other houses, there could be problems.

5. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

We've encounter noisy neighbors before as well. And, sometimes our apartment complex can sound like a Dog Kennels (dogs barking). The walls in the apartment we are in now, are much thinner than we would've thought. We are in a bottom apartment with two apartments above us (3-story). Sometimes we can hear the tv of the elderly lady behind us. Not real loud, but sound is there. The neighbor to the left of us talks pretty loud on her phone and we can sometimes hear her in our living room.

Our master bedroom's wall, next to our other neighbor is thin. He works the Swing Shift at local Amazon. Our one bedroom wall is right next to his kitchen. He has the habit of slamming kitchen cupboard doors closed and can definitely wake us up. To a point, the dude is a
    "night owl" and can stay up until 3 or 4AM. We complained to the apt manager about his noise, she sent him a couple of notices and also told him the next notice would be an "eviction" one. We don't want him evicted, just to know, and understand, where we sleep and that he is waking us up. He got quiet for a few months, now his noise is starting up again. Guess the cupboard doors slamming shut, don't wake his wife up.

Just wish people in apt. complexes would have more respect for those that live around them, especially during sleeping hours. Guess that's asking way to much of them.

Hedi Mitchell likes this.
  6. Hedi Mitchell

Registered

@Cody Fousnaugh
    We were spoiled to the very nice quiet we had here. These people should have never been given upstairs apt with a German Shepard an another large dog.
    German Shepards are not allowed in most apt along with other breeds..oh but wait just have doctor or whomever to claim the dogs are Support dogs..no deposit no monthly fee. Needless to say we have many GS and other not allowed dogs. But this dog has attack bark and scares the dickens out of people walking their dog or child.

7. John Brunner

Apartment Life
    When I lived in an apartment, a fireman moved into the apartment below us...at 3AM. He was on the 2nd floor. He propped the main entrance door open and screamed down to his friends in the parking lot: "BRING UP THE COUCH NEXT!!!" At 3AM.

He would use his record player as a security device when he worked graveyard. So that potential burglars would think someone was at home, he would put on a record, leave the tone arm up so it would play over and over and over and over and over, and turn up the volume. Steely Dan, Aja album, Side 2. To this day I cannot listen to it. The cops could not get inside so we made them wake up the complex manager. Then it got fixed.

Suburb Life
    When I lived in my house outside of DC, the property behind me was purchased by a developer/contractor. He was doing the renovations himself. I moved 10 years after he started, and it was not complete yet. He did not live there, and had a German shepherd (Ginger) chained up 7x24x365. The poor dog barked 7x24x365. It would knock over its water dish in the dead heat of summer with the guy in another town living in his regular home, so I would take over jugs of fresh water and dry food and refill its bowls. The times he would spend the night in that house I would call the cops to get him to fix the barking dog. He just didn't answer the door. The cops asked if I had a gun (meaning take out the dog.) I told them that they guy was an a$$hole but it wasn't worth risking homicide charges over (meaning the dog was not the party at fault here.) I gotta add I called the Animal Warden, the ASPCA, and the Humane Society. It seems that none of them mess with this kind of stuff.

One night at 2AM I could not sleep because of the dog, so I got up, put Ginger on a leash (by this time we were friends), and enrolled her in a Witness Relocation program (that's all I'll say...the dog was fine.) A few weeks later the guy walked over and told me he figured out what happened to Ginger (gulp.) Seems he was building a lap pool in the basement of the house (this is the crap that caused him to take over 10 years on it) and it was full of rainwater. He found a carcass assumed to be "Ginger" underwater. Ginger did not find her way home. I know that for a fact. I hope that carcass didn't have tennis shoes on it. Idiots.

Back on Topic
    The peak of that day was when I got home at 4AM and slept sounder than I had in weeks...or even longer.

The peak of today was when I lashed a tarp roof onto the first of my 3 firewood racks (pics here.)
    The pit is the same every day: seething over nasty family matters. I fantasize that a judge or the cops will ask me if I have a gun as they did with the barking dog. Talk about a moral dilemma.

8. Hedi Mitchell

Registered

Lololo so funny ..

9. Hedi Mitchell

Registered

We are up on the internet. Apparently when power went out the other day ..blew out the control box. Have new router and a much better password..yea yea ..a Peak:D

10. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Large dogs is the main reason the complex we live in is basically full all of the time. I was told, at one time a resident had a full size St. Bernard here. We have a two-dog only, plus one cat only policy, but one resident has three dogs. He claims the one dog is a Companion Dog, while the other two are just pets.

Most apt. complexes do allow dogs today, but many dogs love to bark. Actually, there is a house, right behind a set of garages, and they have a dog that barks loud. Obviously our manager, and the owner, can't do anything about barking outside of the complex.

A large percentage of the residents that live here are young, like young enough to be our kids or grandkids in their 20's/30's. Many don't care about certain rules/policies the owner has made, like only certain areas for cigarette smoking. Some will smoke where ever they want to.

We will be here for another year, but during that year, will be looking for somewhere else to live, either here in Colorado or up in Wyoming. Not sure yet.

11. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Sorry to be a part of your “pit”, but I would venture to suspect that as long as you guys live in an apartment, you’ll never be totally happy with the conditions. Someone is going to go against your grain even if everyone is obeying the rules and everyone is a senior.

John Brunner likes this.
  12. John Brunner

The flip side to that is bad renters are more of a short-term issue than bad homeowners are. You can research a neighborhood to your heart's content, but you don't get to control who may buy the house next door tomorrow.

But, yeh, some people are only happy when they're unhappy.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2021
  13. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Gloria and I aren't "unhappy" necessarily, we just want "respect" when it comes to living in an apartment. Sleep, dogs barking..........whatever. Just plain "respect". Not a thing wrong with wanting that.

Hedi Mitchell likes this.
  14. John Brunner

In other words, you want your space and boundaries respected...just like most others.

15. Trevalius Guyus

Trevalius Guyus Veteran Member
    Registered

In Hell, I have to live in an apartment.