The Past Is The Past!

Discussion in 'Not Sure Where it Goes' started by Cody Fousnaugh, May 30, 2017.

1. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Yes, a lot has changed since all of us were younger. Some think some changes are great, while others think very differently.

The tv shows of Rin Tin Tin, Lassie, Leave It To Beaver, The Nelson's, Father Knows Best, My Three Sons and others are long gone and replaced by some shows that we think are totally crappy (for a better word). TV is a item some of us go without and that doesn't bother us at all.

Some still have/use the old VCR and have small TV's. Forget the modern Blu-Ray DVD Players and/or Big Screen TV's. There are people, like my half-brother who thinks today computers took away jobs (which I totally disagree).

Buy a new car today. When you get into the driver's seat it can be like crawling into the Pilot's seat of an airline.
    Just how long will it take a person our age to figure out how to use all the gadgets, etc.? And, don't even try to be the "backyard mechanic" of the old days. Mess up the "onboard computer" and you can be looking at a hefty repair cost.

Yes, in some parts of America, those old days of "safeness in a community" is still there, but not many parts. Crime and gun violence has taken over many cities, including some suburbs. Pending where a person lives, many will say even public parks aren't safe anymore. Is there a cure for any of this.........sure doesn't seem to be.

We, the age bracket of this forum, seem to complain a lot about how todays young folks spend money. "Back in our day, our parents sure didn't spend money like today". Of course, "back in our day" salaries were a whole lot less. Kids played with Barbie and Ken. Kens played board games. There weren't a bunch of amusement parks in States. Today it's computer games.

None of the above will ever change, so how can some of us get use to it? A REALLY good question!!

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  2. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I'm used to it and have no problem with the way things are or are going. I'm not one of the ones that complain about the young folk.

Tim Burr likes this.
  3. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

I'm use to it as well. In some ways, we do live the "up-to-date" modern lifestyle. As far as the young folks go, if I had their money/income, I'd spend it just like they do.

4. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

Oh I'm a complainer Cody :rolleyes:
    Those that have the power to really fix things - don't, that annoys me
    People don't 'try' anymore, they give up too easily
    But - even though times were hard back when - its just as hard today, in a different way
    I wouldn't want to be young today and I don't envy their task ahead at all
    They have different issues to confront

5. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

So true!

6. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Any other comments, before I close this Thread.........only kidding (again).:D

Patsy Faye likes this.
  7. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

Ha ha - cheeky monkey :p

8. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

I have never wished to be 16 again. Cultural changes bring on the differences between yesterday and today. Some good, some are not. That will never change. Our lives seemed so much easier back then, compared to todays world....but I often wonder...was it really? What always amuses me, is to hear younger ones 'remembering' their youth from the 80's and 90's.....shaking their heads saying...man those were the good ole days...lolol really now;)

9. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Since I'm a electronics "techy", in some ways, we do like some of the new electronic stuff that has come out. Actually, I hooked-up/set up the new computer we got earlier this year and it all works fine. I also set up a couple of other electronic things we have. Wife is somewhat a "techy" as well. She helped me put a new dvd/cd player-recorder into our old computer.

Since most of my career was involved in warehousing, shipping/receiving, stockroom, purchasing and inventory control, the "computer" age made my job quite a bit easier. I already knew how to type efficiently. Didn't do the "hunt and peck" thing at all. It was the 10-key part of the keyboard that I really had to learn. Actually, I learned how to use a computer at a library and my first job using one was in 1989 working in a electronics stockroom as a supervisor. And, have been using one since! Using a computer sure beat the heck out of typing out purchase orders and doing inventory on 3 x 5 index cards!

Yes, if we were ever to go back to the old Lassie/Rin Tin Tin days, we'd have our iPhones and laptop with us (LOL).

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  10. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I'm the same, not a genius but manage everything fairly well. I've set up my own devices since getting my first computer when I moved to Fresno.

I also bought my last TV all by myself. Had Best Buy put it in the car but took it out of the car by myself then put it on a dolly and rolled it into my bedroom because that's the TV that needed replacing.

I hooked it up to cable all by myself and everything went smoothly..I was quite proud of myself. :)

11. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Cody Fousnaugh "..... how todays young folks spend money."
    The Vogues said it best, 50+ years ago, in "Five-O'clock World"

"Spendin' money I ain't made yet......."

Frank

12. Kalvin Mitnic

Kalvin Mitnic Veteran Member
    Registered

Too much to remember now.
    Things started to get more complicated when:

We needed Zip Codes
    Had Area codes with phone #'s growing yearly it seemed.
    Shopping Centers took away main streets.
    Cars began looking all the same.
    Kids started swearing in public.
    Young Offenders couldn't be named/shamed

Now pass words and numbers are ubiquitous in our lives as memory shrinks.

I think it all started with talkies....:(

13. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Kalvin Mitnic "Cars began looking all the same."
    This is one of the things I began to notice about the time rear "tail-fins" began to disappear. Read once of a kid running full-bore into the rear fin of a Cadillac, and he was killed.
    Frank