The Oscars!

Discussion in 'Movies & Entertainment' started by Gina Cobane, Feb 27, 2016.

1. Gina Cobane

Gina Cobane New Member
    Registered

I'm hoping Spotlight and Trumbo win something. Michael Keaton and Bryan Cranston were terrific in those movies.

Anyone else watching the Academy Awards tomorrow?

Krissttina Isobe likes this.
  2. Ruby Begonia

Ruby Begonia Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Hi Gina, no I don't watch the Oscars, I avoid the speeches. Let us know who wins, OK?

3. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I never ever watch any kind of awards show. I don't care who wins and I don't care what color the winners are.

It is kinda fun though to listen to the whiners on the news shows.

Terry Page and Bonnie Thomas like this.
  4. Bonnie Thomas

Bonnie Thomas Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I can't sit through all the speeches either. But I bet Leonardo DiCaprio wins something! (him & the bear)

[​IMG]

Terry Page likes this.
  5. Ruby Begonia

Registered

the second from the left, OMG scared me!

6. Bonnie Thomas

Registered

All I know is The Revenant .. and Leonardo DiCaprio being left for dead, and being attacked by a bear ...
    The rest .... Movie buffs???

Terry Page and Ruby Begonia like this.
  7. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Veteran Member
    Registered

Only movie I saw was Star Wars with the grandsons.

8. Arlene Richards

Arlene Richards Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

“ROOM” – that’s the movie I want to see. I heard about it then googled and read the (spoiler) summary on Wikipedia. Woman and son held captive for years.

OMG, I saw a clip showing when captor rolls the boy up in carpet and mother cries as they leave……my heart cracked. :(

If Brie Larson doesn’t win Best Actress there is something wrong in this world. The boy actor Jacob Tremblay is also fantastic.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2016
  9. Ruby Begonia

Registered

I didn't see any of them.

10. Bonnie Thomas

Registered

Ever read the novel Arlene? ... It's kind of dark, and wasn't to my liking, but it got great reviews.

11. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Any of the Star Wars movies? I've only seen this last one in its entirety. Was dreading it but I was pleasantly surprised.

12. Arlene Richards

Registered

@Bonnie Thomas - No, have not read the novel. Haven't seen the movie, but I will.

@Chrissy Page - no, I never saw any of the Star Wars movies. Not my cup of tea.

As far as the Oscars, I usually watch. I like the banter and I like to see actors who we don't see very often. Some are annoying, but what the heck. I kind of like the fashion aspect, but I could not walk or sit in most of those dresses. I saw on TV the gift bag contents are worth $232.000 each! And I think Chris Rock will be terrific (he did a good job years ago when he hosted). Something about Chris' facial expression makes me laugh.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2016
  13. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I just looked up "Room" and watched the trailer and read the what it's about. Looks interesting, something I would like but for some reason it looks familiar to me. Maybe I read the book or saw a similar type of movie but I may rent it on Amazon unless @Terry Page has it and can put it in my Drop Box. he usually has to covert it or something and he might not be able to do that from Russia.

Terry Page likes this.
  14. Ike Willis

Ike Willis Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I saw 'Spotlight'. It's a talkie. All talk, no action. Saw 'Man in the wilderness' with Richard Harris. Loosely based on Hugh Glass. I like DiCaprio, so I'll see it soon.

Terry Page likes this.
  15. Ruby Begonia

Registered

Chrissy no, I meant I didn't see any of the Oscar nominated movies, sorry to confuse. I've seen several of the Star Wars movies. Why cant I make the winking smiley go away??????:):);)

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  16. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Okay, I didn't see any of them either. I don't know why you can't make the winking smiley go away.

I'm a little confused on here today too. :eek::confused:

Ruby Begonia likes this.
  17. Arlene Richards

Registered

I tested. Put in a few winking smilies, posted.
    Then went to "edit", clicked "more options" and I was able to delete them.

Ruby Begonia likes this.
  18. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina Isobe Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

19. Arlene Richards

Registered

I enjoyed it. Chris Rock did a good job, loved the Girl Scout Cookie sales! Glad Brie Larson won best actress.

Bonnie Thomas likes this.
  20. Terry Page

Terry Page Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

No Chrissy this is a 2015 movie, it is loosely based on a real life crime, the Fritzl case in Austria, which may be why it sounds familiar? I will eventually get to see it and/or get the DVD.

The events of the new film Room, a screenplay Emma Donoghue adapted from her best-selling 2010 novel of the same name, have echos of the Cleveland kidnappings (which came to light after the book was published) and the Jaycee Dugard case, but the main story that loosely inspired this emotional film happened in Austria. Although, as Donoghue has said, the book and film are not directly “based on,” but instead inspired, by the Fritzl case, there are many chilling details about the story of Elisabeth Fritzl and her children that deeply inform Room‘s story.

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  21. Bonnie Thomas

Registered

I watched the beginning of the show .. just couldn't stay with it for long.
    To me, Chris Rock overdid it. I like the guy, but thought he made his point to exhaustion.

22. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Maybe that's it, @Terry Page , I've read the Jaycee Dugard book also the Cleveland kidnappings.

But I also remember another story, think there was a young boy in it and a man who held him captive, but I don't remember a female in that one, meaning the mother.

Terry Page likes this.
  23. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

We watched the whole show last night and finally got to bed at 12:30AM. When we know they are on, we do watch awards shows. Back in the mid-later 90's, my wife spent some time in Hollywood as an "extra" in a few movies. Had her own Agent/Profile/Interview clothes. Her and a girlfriend done it together. She was in Air Force One, Volcano, First Kiss and a few commercials.

Anyway, as far as the show went, was pretty disappointed at all jokes concerning Whites. Seemed like Chris wanted to defend the Oscars over all the diversity stuff being talked about, but at the same time, wanted to point out his concerns about Hollywood and the Black race in it. His closing statement "Black Lives Matter", didn't cut it with me either. I would've said to him, "Mr. Rock, how about "All Lives Matter", as in White cops". I'm seeing, online, where Chris Rock is now being bad-mouthed the same way Beyoncé was for her song/dance outfits during Super Bowl Half-Time. Also, didn't like all the extra speech that some of the winners had to make sure was said.

To me, the Oscars had way to much political crap added to it this year..........by the host and by some winners.

Star Wars didn't win anything and neither did Creed. Although, Star Wars didn't need to win a thing, because it is now the Top Grossing movie in history! Wife and I LOVE it!! We loved it when C-3PO, R2D2 and BB8 came out on stage! Actually, I don't think the Academy likes continuing movies of older movies, like The Force Awakens and Creed was.

Last edited: Feb 29, 2016
    Bonnie Thomas likes this.
  24. Arlene Richards

Registered

@Cody Fousnaugh Re: Chris Rock, I thought what he said about the way subtle racism works was spot on. Like a sorority “We like you, but you’re just not a Kappa.” He might have gone slightly too far, but people aren't confortable hearing the truth, especially when it comes to race.

Having said that, I think Jada Pinkett Smith was just ticked off because her husband Will didn't get nominated. But Hollywood has nade the Smiths very wealthy. I don't think anyone cares that she wasn't there. There have been people of color who have been nominated and won Oscars in the past. Should there be more? Probably. But to have a quota isn't the answer nor should anyone be nominated just because of their skin color.

Re: Star Wars, I don’t think it’s a matter of the Academy not liking continuing movies/sequels. (Godfather 2 got the Best Picture Oscar back in the 70s.) But Star Wars has never been Oscar worthy, imo. Science fiction and super heroes don’t usually get Oscar nods, no matter how much money they make.

Last edited: Feb 29, 2016
  25. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Well, wife and I are sure glad that your statement below about Star Wars not being Oscar worthy is your opinion. It sure isn't ours!
    Now, imo, Mr. Rock was still "off his rocker" with some of his jokes. Please remember, that's "imo" :)