The Night Of The Grizzly (1966)

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Ken Anderson, Dec 16, 2018.

1. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

The Night of the Grizzly

I had seen this one before, but it's been a while, so I am watching it again.

The setting is in Wyoming. Clint Walker, a former lawman who decided to get out of the business and run a ranch that he inherited in Wyoming. When he gets there, he finds that the taxes owed on the property takes up most of the money that he has saved. Of course, there is also the antagonist - in this case, a man who owns the bank and much of the rest of the nearby town, and wants to acquire the property, which was once his.

It's an easy movie to watch, with Clint Walker, and Ellen Corby (Grandma Walton on the Waltons) also plays a regular part. Don Haggerty, Keenan Wynn, and Martha Hyer are also in it.

Anyhow, although nearly broke, he has enough money left to buy some stock from the character played by Corby, but then a large bear starts attacking his stock, at night while they are in bed or, more often, while they are away, the bear attacks, and he doesn't have money to replace any of the animals that are killed.

The bear also kills his best friend, but even when he's there, with his gun, he misses the bear or doesn't manage to kill it. I'm sure he kills it in the end, but it's hard to be overly impressed with his abilities.

Since the guy who wants the land owns the bank, the only way he can get a loan is by mortgaging the property.

My biggest problem with the movie is that it's hard not to think of the Clint Walker character as an idiot.

Given that this bear is killing everything that moves, Walker still doesn't have his rifle with him half the time and has to send someone to get it when he spots the bear. The worst part is that he constantly leaves his ranch unattended. While he's at some party in town, the bear kills all of his pigs. While he's off doing something else, the bear kills his mule.

If he'd stay home and keep his gun with him, most of the difficulties that make up the plot of the movie wouldn't have occurred.

Sheldon Scott likes this.
  2. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Have seen it before………..good, very good! Have always been a Dan Haggarty and Clint Walker fan. Clint Walker in tv show, Cheyenne.

3. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

I see that in movies, too, @Ken Anderson . They do something totally stupid and I'm telling them, "Hey, Stupid, don't do that!" But they never listen. :D

Ken Anderson likes this.