The New Nook Tablet 7

Discussion in 'Shopping & Sales' started by Denise Evans, Nov 29, 2016.

1. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

"Nook"? Only connection "Nook" has for me is "Nookie", which draws back to "lack-a-nookie", described to me by a co-worker.

2. Terry Page

Terry Page Supreme Member
    Registered

I bought one of the old Nook HD 7" 2012 models when they were selling them off in the UK. I rooted it and put on the latest Android OS which worked really well. The screen is remarkably good even by today's standards. I used it for reading Kindle books with the App and general browsing. It didn't have any camera but I don't use the camera on a tablet anyway.

35471747-nook-hd-4051.jpg

7" model:
    LED Backlit screen
    1440×900 px
    (243 ppi),
    7 in (180 mm) diagonal

I moved on to a Tesco (a local supermarket chain) Hudl 2 8.3" which I use for watching movies in bed, and browsing plus the odd forum post, but tend to use a 17" PC laptop for most other jobs like video editing and forum posting, which is for me too fiddly on a tablet. I have several desktops in the UK but they don't get used that often really.

Display:
    IPS 8.3-inch (21 cm) LCD display
    1920×1200 px
    (273 ppi)

Tesco-Hudl-8.jpg

It came in several colours and cost around $110 but is discontinued now

tesco_hudl_colours-4.jpg

Denise Evans likes this.
  3. Denise Evans

Denise Evans Supreme Member
    Registered

Hi Terry,

That first one is like my Nook, and I got mine in 2012. That's cool that you "rooted" it. I love my geek forum I belong to, because they teach me so much about "gadgets" and I always get help I need there. The latest has been putting in a new Hdd in my laptop (Toshiba Satellite, L775D-S7132, 17") They also helped me put in a new keyboard, upgrade to Win 10, and a few other fixes along the way;) I love tinkering a bit, and it's saved me a lot of money as you can imagine;)

I'm with you on all the extras they are adding to the e-readers, but I guess that's competition. I don't use the other features often at all, as I only open my Nook at night to read. But as ken and I were talking about, it's handy for a quick look if I feel the need. I wouldn't miss those things if I didn't have them. I never liked any of the browsers I used on my Nook, except I finally put Firefox on there. I somehow came back to using Dolphin (I think that's what it's called).

I love the Overdrive App with Library2go as I mentioned, but Barnes and Noble informed me that Nook I have no long supports Overdrive, so I have to use Adobe Digital Editions to get my library books. Big hassle as I have to use library2go app (along with Overdrive) to find my books on my laptop, then when I download the book using ADE, I have to transfer the book to my Nook:( Good reason to upgrade my Nook. I'll soon be buying the Nook Tablet 7 for myself, mainly because I like having my Overdrive App, but it will also be nice to have a new e-reader;)

I imagine there's geeky folks here too, but I don't tend to post that much in the gadget/tech thread. I may do it more, now that I see how much a few like to yack about puters and such:)

4. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

We have a Dell XPS-18 desktop, but we seldom ever use it. I am just so spoiled with being able to relax in my comfortable recliner that sitting at a desk is no longer something that i want to do.
    The iPad is so perfect for me for just about everything that I need. Not only is it a lot larger screen than the tiny Kindle, but since I can stretch things on the screen when i need to see something better, it works a lot better for me than a desktop, even with a large monitor. I remember having to stick my nose up close to the monitor when I couldn't see details in something I was looking at. Now, I just stretch the screen until it shows the part I want to see.
    Before I had the bluetooth keyboard for my ipad, typing was slow for me; but with the larger iPad and full-sized keyboard, it is every bit as easy as using a desktop or laptop.
    The Dell is one of those all-in-one computers, so it can be carried around like a tablet also; but it is pretty large to pack it around with that 18 inch screen. So, it mostly just sits in the back room on the desk in isolation. I use it to update iTunes and sync the iPads and iPhones; but that is about the only time I ever use it anymore.
    Plus, now that I am used to Apple, the Windows OS totally frustrates me ! !

Last edited: Dec 1, 2016
    Denise Evans likes this.
  5. Denise Evans

Denise Evans Supreme Member
    Registered

I can do a lot on my laptop, and I do like sitting in my recliner with it on my lap so I don't want to give it up. But having a desk to sit at will allow me to have a lot of things going. I've even thought about an extra monitor. I do a lot of graphics type thing, fiddle is all, and love trying out new software. I recently downloaded yet another program that is like CAD, but more of a "interior design specific" software. I like to come up with things I'd like to do in my home.

There's something for everyone really, amazing technology. I love watching live imaging, researching maps, and especially Google Earth is fun, like going right to a place. I joined a group not long ago that shows live telescope shots of the stars, and they yack, sort of chat sessions. There's just so much, and I never get to all I want to. I do want a large monitor, not too big though. Here's something that seems like a nice desktop fit for me. I don't care for the big tower, I know they come much smaller. I love the speakers for way better sound than I get from this laptop, it's fizzling out, but it was never great:

[​IMG]

6. Terry Page

Terry Page Supreme Member
    Registered

I use a Lenovo 12" laptop on a desk in the corner of my bedroom for general posting on forums and browsing, I have several desktops all dual boot Windows 7 and 10 downstairs in my study, plus a 17" Acer laptop in Russia.

My daughters and all my grandchildren have iPhones and iPads, but I prefer android and PCs because a) they are much cheaper and b) they are not locked into all the Apple software and iTunes etc. There is lots of stuff I can do on a PC that I can't do on a Mac.

My bedroom cosy corner...

desk123_zpsccjxifrx.jpg Picture1.jpg

7. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

That's OK, the candle couldn't hold a Kindle, either!o_O

Yvonne Smith and Ken Anderson like this.