The New Nook Tablet 7

Discussion in 'Shopping & Sales' started by Denise Evans, Nov 29, 2016.

1. Denise Evans

Denise Evans Supreme Member
    Registered

Wanted to let you all know about this reader from Nook. It's loaded with new stuff and the price is fabulous, 49.99. I hope my sister doesn't peek at this forum, she is not a forum person so not too worried. But I ordered her one. She is really the only person I have to buy for, so I can spend a little on her:)

She loves to read, and vows she will never give up her hard-covers, but everytime she hears me talk about mine she forgets she doesn't want to try one, LOL!!

Check it out if you want to get into a Reader, or if you need a new one. I know people have their preferences like Kindle Fires, etc., but this is just loaded with goodies;)

https://www.cnet.com/products/barnes-noble-nook-tablet-7/preview/

Joe Riley likes this.
  2. Denise Evans

Registered

Here are the specs for that Nook, heck it's got so much more than the older Nooks, it's practically an IPAD.

Nook Specs.PNG

And don't forget the Library2go, I rarely have to buy a book at all since the library carries soooooooo many!!

3. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

That sounds pretty comparable to the Amazon Kindle, @Denise Happyfeet . I have an older Kindle Fire that I use for reading and I love it for that. The new ones run about the same price as the Nook 7, although I see that Best Buy is advertising the Kindle Fire for as low as $33 there, and Amazon usually has them on sale around Christmas, too.
    Since we have Amazon Prime, I would never consider changing from the Kindle because we have all of the Amazon benefits with the Kindle. Amazon has the lending library, and even books that cost a lot can be borrowed from the lending library, with no specific checkout period (like library books have), and you return them when you finish.
    Amazon also just added the Prime Reading feature so that anyone who has Prime, even if they do not have a Kindle, can read for free any of the books that are on the Prime Reading catalog. They have hundreds of free books, and a changing selection, so I never have to even thing about paying for a book, or hurrying to finish it before the loan runs out.
    If a person does not use Amazon, then the Nook would probably work just as well, and is comparable in price.

Denise Evans likes this.
  4. Denise Evans

Registered

It's very comparable, and it's Barnes and Nobles answer to the Kindle, although I don't know if it's cheaper than a kindle, but I think it is. I love my Nook but I'm used to it. I'm sure I'd love a Kindle as well, or an Ipad, whatever;)

5. Yvonne Smith

I have a keyboard that works with my iPad, Denise , which makes it great for typing with, but not so good for just sitting and reading because it stays in the landscape position and is awkward to put in the upright/portrait position that we usually use when reading a book. Also, the iPad is heavier than the smaller Kindle or Nook would be.
    The Kindle does go online and will do most of the things that the iPad can do, and you can even get keyboards for them; but since I only use mine as an e-reader, I don't bother with any frills for it.

My iPad Pro is almost 13", and it is as large as some laptops, but a lot lighter and more efficient. However, the keyboard is also full-sized, and it is just not as convenient as the tiny Kindle Fire is for when I am sitting and reading a novel in the evenings.
    IMG_0119.JPG

Denise Evans and Joe Riley like this.
  6. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

I thought of buying one because I like trying new things, but I can't see that it would offer me anything that I don't have with my Kindle Fire.

Denise Evans likes this.
  7. Denise Evans

Registered

I'm happy with my Nook as a reader only, but sometimes when I want to check something online really quick, I can use it for that too. I mainly posted this thread for folks that might like a Reader at a great price, that happens to have more frills in the new version;)

Yvonne Smith and Joe Riley like this.
  8. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

Sounds like a great deal for a new user, ready to take the plunge! I'm not quite there yet!;)

Denise Evans likes this.
  9. Denise Evans

Registered

I understand Joe;) Now I'm hooked, lol;) I think my sister will like hers. I hope, I ordered her one. I know I'll end up helping her "a lot" on it, but once she gets the basics down she'll be happy, happy. I got her on her first puter, and now, she is more addicted than I am if that's possible;)

Joe Riley and Yvonne Smith like this.
  10. Yvonne Smith

I am sure that your sister will just LOVE the Nook, Denise ! ! If she has never used a touchscreen before, it takes a little while to get the hang of that, but once she gets accustomed to using it, she will never want to go back the the old dinosaur age computer and mouse system.
    When Robin loaned me her iPad about 5 years ago, I had a hard time with it at first; but then I loved it so much that she just shook her head, smiled at me, and bought herself another iPad and left that one with me.
    I am now on my third one, and have loved them all. The first one was an iPad 2, and when that got old, she upgraded it to an iPad 4, which I had until last Christmas and then she surprised me with the new iPad Pro.
    The Nooks and Kindles are smaller; but will have similar capabilities, and I think that your sister will really like having a kind of "pocket computer" that she can carry around in her purse.

Joe Riley and Denise Evans like this.
  11. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

I am quite used to using my Kindle Fire, yet I can't imagine it replacing a real computer with a big screen and the ability to hook up extra monitors. No, the Kindle works well for checking in on the forum after I've gone to bed, and for reading, but the Kindle couldn't hold a candle to my iMac.

Denise Evans likes this.
  12. Yvonne Smith

Yes, I know that you have said this before, and it is true for what you need a computer to do. For the kind of work that you are doing online, and the information you need to find and use, having a large computer like your iMac is probably necessary. My daughter has one that she uses for her job, and I am pretty sure that is what my oldest son uses for work, too.
    I am thinking that Denise's sister is probably more like myself, or even Denise, and we don't need all of that computer power for what we do, and having something that is easy to take along when we want to and comfortable to use, is about all of the requirements that we have.
    So, for those of us who only need something portable and easy to use, the tablets work perfectly.

Denise Evans likes this.
  13. Denise Evans

Registered

I hope anyone totally new to "readers" understand that although a Nook, or Kindle have several "tekkie" capabilities as I listed I think in my 2nd post above, these are for reading books. You can buy books, for example, on the Nook by Barnes and Noble, you can purchase from their store, and the books download to your Nook Tablet. Kindles are from Amazon, and you can order books to download from Amazon.

One really neat thing about Readers like the Nook and the kindle, is that there is a free App called Overdrive which you download from the Google Play Store, same as you may have on your phone etc. Overdrive works with most libraries, and it is world-wide. I don't know everything about it, but I know enough that all you need is a library card. You plug it into your library2go account, easy and 100% free, and you can check out digital books from your library.

I've talked so much about this on other threads, so I won't again here. But if anyone wants to know more, just let me know. I have about 100 books on my Nook I've bought over the past, 4-5 years. But I also, now, get 9 out of 10 books free on loan from my library. If you like to read, are lucky enough to have a well stocked county library, the possibilities are endless as far as finding things to read.

Another thing I didn't even mention is how nice it can be to go to bed and read (my fave time to read) and you don't need a lamp. Your reader is like a little puter screen. I think I'll make a little video tomorrow and show anyone that doesn't know about readers, how cool they can be. I think I should sell these things since I go on and on about them;) I'll see how things go tomorrow, and maybe post a vid;)

It's funny how some things start out as one thing, one use for it, like a phone. Now phones do pretty much everything a computer does. Same with the readers, they start out as basically, something to read books on. Now the Nooks and Kindles do everything, even take pictures!

14. Denise Evans

Registered

My laptop STILL has never replaced a desktop for me. In fact I've been saving to buy a desktop, and I'm going to have a roomy desk, and a nice, large monitor again now that I am settled in one place.

PS and I still look forward to a full-size keyboard again;)

Ken Anderson likes this.
  15. Denise Evans

Registered

My sis hasn't got a "technically inclined" bone in her body, LOL, and she's the first to admit it.

She has done an amazing job picking things up over the years. She surprises me sometimes and I tell her that she can do it, but I think she would rather "I" do it for her, LOL! So I think I've mentioned I use TeamViewer's remote to access her computer when she needs help, and I fix stuff for her that I am familiar with.

Speak of the IMac's, I have used them several times over the years of working in offices. I loved using them, but when I got my first, very own computer, it was a hand-me-down from my x-husband. And it was a PC. So I became more and more familiar with Windows, and when I bought my first brand, new puter, it was a PC. The price on the Apples have always been a deciding factor too. If I could afford it, I would have an Apple too. The reason would be to get to learn way more about them. I love learning, and I think the reason I have had a lot of success with puters, is because I am always saying to myself "hmm, wonder what this does" and I always have to click on it to find out, LOL!

I've never (knock on wood) destroyed a computer from clicking around, finding out how things work:) I guess if I only could use one word to describe computers, I'd say FUN!!