The Misunderstood Prune

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Kitty Carmel, Nov 27, 2017.

1. Kitty Carmel

Kitty Carmel Veteran Member
    Registered

I don't know why prunes have such a bad reputation. They are very good. Nothing but another dried fruit but people seem to only think of constipation when hearing about them.

They are good in baking also. I like them better than raisins. Anyone else eat them just because they are good?

Yvonne Smith and Ted Richards like this.
  2. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I don't love them but I don't hate them.

3. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

I have always liked the taste of prunes...but you are right there was always someone making fun of you if you ate them. I don't know if that happens as much today but I sure remember the "jokes" about prunes when I was a child. I still ate them of course because I liked them and I wasn't going to let someone's remarks against them stop me from eating what I like to eat. :)

I don't eat them much anymore just because I usually don't see them when I'm shopping so I don't think to put them on my list either.

Kitty Carmel likes this.
  4. Ted Richards

Ted Richards Veteran Member
    Registered

I like prunes just fine but it's another fruit that I can't have because of the high sugar content (I'm diabetic). On the farm we had a grove of prune-plum trees but we never dried them into prunes. Sold them all as fresh fruit.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  5. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

I like prunes...but many years ago me and a daughter ate ...um I guess to many....after our horrid experience in our white shorts...eat very cautiously;)

Holly Saunders likes this.
  6. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

I hated as a kid because of the stones in them, so they were messy to eat when added to custard or rice pudding... but now I buy ready pitted dried prunes..and eat 2 or 3 every day ...

ETA...I often ring the changes with dried prunes for dried pitted dates...

Last edited: Nov 27, 2017
  7. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I have not had any for a long time, and like @Ina I. Wonder , I just do not think of them when I am at the grocery store. When I was a kid, my mom would put them in hot water and let them soak overnight, and then we had some for breakfast in the morning, and they were all plumped out again and delicious.
    We also had some of the prune-plum trees, and I totally love them as fresh fruit ! They really don’t taste anything like the dried ones taste, and it seems like you can eat a lot of them when they are fresh.
    When we had our restaurant, we had plum-prune trees, and in the fall I made prune cobbler for our dessert special, and that was really delicious.

Ina I. Wonder and Holly Saunders like this.
  8. Kitty Carmel

Registered

@Yvonne Smith, they are very good stewed.

@Holly Saunders, since you mentioned dates, I don't know what it is but I don't like them. Plus I think they look like cockroaches. Sorry if I grossed anyone out here.

9. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

They taste okay. I don't think to buy them often but when I've had them, they tasted good enough. I eat plums more often.

10. Ann George

Ann George Veteran Member
    Registered

I don't usually buy individual prunes but have bought a prune "spread" that I really like on my toast. I never thought of substituting them for raisins so I might try that as well..... thanks @Kitty Carmel !

11. Kitty Carmel

Registered

This kind of ties into my previous posts about garlic from china and the misunderstood prune.

I bought prunes and was about half way though the bag (not all at once!) when I looked and it said "Amazin Prunes from Argentina" I'm like what the...? I was pretty sure Yuba City, California is the prune capital here and I was right after checking google. I live in California and I'm eating prunes from Argentina.

I bought another bag, same brand "Amazin Prunes from U.S.A." The flavor infused prunes were from Chile. Of coarse I'm really checking now but living in California, I just assumed all the prunes would be from the U.S.. Silly me.

Then I was also thinking about out of season produce. I usually don't buy imported produce that CAN be grown here (tropical fruits being different of coarse) I won't buy out of season produce from South America for example like melons. I have no issues with these countries but I also think of the resources it takes to get these items here when I can have them locally in the summer. I don't have to have them in the winter also.

Thinking further I was wondering where some countries might get their produce if they don't or can't grown their own due to climate. For example do Northern European countries get a lot of produce from Mediterranean countries?

Holly Saunders and Chrissy Cross like this.
  12. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

I have noticed that before. I didn't pay attention when I was in California but, although citrus was a major crop in the Rio Grande Valley of Texas, and I had two orange trees in my yard, the citrus in our grocery stores were from California or Florida. I mentioned it to my brother, who lives part-time in Florida, and he said most of the fruit in the grocery store he shopped at was from California. We don't grow citrus in Maine of course, but northern Maine produces commercial potatoes, yet we have more potatoes from Idaho or Canada than we do from Maine in our stores.

Come to think of it, we have been to Five Guys several times and, if you've ever been to a Five Guys, you'll notice that they have a sign telling you where the potatoes used in their French Fries came from, and I have yet to see any from Maine.

13. Kitty Carmel

Registered

We don't have Five Guys out here in California I don't think. Is it a restaurant? I would think shipping what was grown closest would be cost effective. I have seen tomatoes at Trader Joe's from Canada but lately every tomato is from Mexico at Trader Joe's. I did find US hot house tomatoes at another grocery store.

14. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

I can clearly recall as a kid, that in our geographical area, Chicago, one did not see all kinds of produce available year-round. Sure, a lot was shipped from California, and possibly Arizona, but that, too was seasonal. For example, one could not buy fresh Strawberries in January. My Mother bought the fruits we enjoyed when they were displayed, late Summer into the Fall, but few fruits in Winter. I knew nothing then of geographic origins, never imagined fresh fruit was available in Winter in Mexico, as I'm sure it was, but little or none found it's way to Chicago. Vegetables fell into a similar situation. But, many were canned, and therefore available all the time.

15. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

Being an Island although we grow most of our own crops...wheat barley etc.. and we also have many farms where we can be supplied with beef and dairy...especially cheese... we do have to import a lot, such as Citrus fruits, because we simply don't have the climate to grow them here..

Apples we grow...oranges and lemons we can't grow...and grapes not so much...

We import Lamb and beef from New Zealand...well it's nice lamb but could it come from any further?..and why do we need it?>....we have millions of sheep in this country... in fact in Wales alone I believe there's more sheep than people...
    We grow enough Lettuces, and tomatoes...yet we import them from Spain... we are an Island but because of our stupid fishing laws which limit the amount of fish that can be caught we end up with imported fish from Vietnam... Vietnam for crying out loud???... and there's always a documentary or 2 secretly filming how the fish is covered in lice in dirty water...

We get corned beef from argentina... why????

I could go on...and on...and on.... but you get the picture...