The Lymphatic System And Cancer

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Beth Gallagher, Feb 20, 2023.

1. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

Metastatic is strictly a medical term applying to cancer and is defined in every medical oncology text as the spread of cancer from its original location to a DISTANT organ through the lymphatic system. The nodes associated directly with the breast are referred to as LOCAL nodes and if these nodes are cancerous but no other nodes show cancer on a scan, then that isn't metastatic. Metastatic doesn't just mean spread, it means a distant spread. During any cancer surgery, only the local nodes are removed and tested. In my case, it was the close or local nodes that affected the section of the cancerous colon they removed.

2. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

I know this is an unpleasant discussion, but a necessary one for senior women. I am addressing breast cancer because it is the leading cancer in women, putting aside skin cancer. Women have cancer at a higher rate than men.

I find it amazing at the network of the lymphatic system in the female breast. I think when one understands the complexity, then they can understand the reason for mastectomy and local lymph node removal even in stage 2. I hope this explains why even a small stage 1 cancer may show cancer in one or more of the local lymph nodes.

Detection, before the breast cancer metastasizes (the spreading of the original breast cancer to a distant organ via the lymphatic system) is paramount to long-term survival. The latest statistics say that 1/3 of all metastasized breast cancer patients receiving treatment make it for 5 years. That means 2/3 don't.

Also interesting and easy to understand looking at this drawing is that my mild lymphoma is caused by the Inguinal nodes that are perhaps overworked since they took out a shipload of colon local nodes along with 1/3rd of my colon. Luckily, wearing highly compressive high-rise underwear, I can keep it draining with minimal swelling and I only notice swelling in the morning. I occasionally have some swelling and pain in my arms that is attributed to my lymphatic system being slightly compromised by the removal of nodes in the abdomen. I haven't had any in my legs which is common among colon-shortened patients. I had 26 nodes removed plus the appendix. They all biopsied negative for cancer.

Notice the complexity of the lymphatic network in the breast.
    22145724wH4jD0Pw.jpg j7MyyazXblAZKZJUlQMWyw_18_the-lymphatics-of-the-female-breast_english.jpg

Last edited: Feb 22, 2023
  3. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

It is also important to note that breast tissue actually extends into the axilla (armpit). There is an extension of the tissue of the upper outer quadrant of the breast traveling into the axilla, called the Tail of Spence. This is why a lump can often be felt in the armpit with a cancer diagnosis; the first and second levels of lymph nodes are the first line of defense against the spread of cancer cells. Always include your armpits in a self breast exam, ladies.

tail of spence.jpg

I would like to also mention that men can (and do) get breast cancer. Any changes in breast tissue should never be ignored.

Faye Fox likes this.
  4. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

Ditto! I check both armpits in the morning and at night before bed.

5. Thomas Windom

Thomas Windom Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I understand, more than you realize perhaps. I supervised an electron microscopy lab for the differential diagnosis of tumors in a pathology department for 4 years, I also worked in the Mammary Gland Tumorigenesis program at the National Cancer Institute with a unique mouse model for human breast cancer for another 4 years. I am (disgustingly) familiar with cancer, up close and personal, down to the cellular level. That doesn’t include all the digging I did when my wife was diagnosed.

6. Thomas Windom

Registered

Yeah, it can also be growing in the intestinal interstitial, lymph nodes, brain or just about any here else. Lymphatic and blood circulation make certain sites more likely given the breast as a source but are not exclusive to just those organs or tissues you named. My wife’s pathology report listed metastasis to the lymph node. It simply means it has spread beyond the primary site to anywhere else.

Another example, from my wife’s second surgery, the pathologist’s report states:
    “No metastatic carcinoma identified in nine of nine lymph nodes”
    “Total number of lymph nodes examined: 11 (2+9)”
    “”Number of lymph nodes with macro-metastasis 1…”
    “Number of lymph nodes with micro-metastasis 0”
    He was not misspeaking. His terminology was accurate. Any tumor growing in a lymph node or anywhere in the lymphatic system for that matter, not originating in the lymph tissues is metastatic.

Here’s more complete definitions:

metastasis
    [mĕ-tas´tah-sis]
    1. the transfer of disease from one organ or part to another not directly connected with it. It may be due either to thetransfer of pathogenic microorganisms (e.g., tubercle bacilli) or to the transfer of cells, as in malignant tumors. See alsocancer.
    2. a growth of pathogenic microorganisms or of abnormal cells distant from the site primarily involved by the morbidprocess. adj., adj metastat´ic.

also:

me·tas·ta·sis
    , pl.
    me·tas·ta·ses
    (mĕ-tas'tă-sis, -sēz),
    1. The shifting of a disease or its local manifestations, from one partof the body to another, as in mumps when the symptoms referable tothe parotid gland subside and the testis becomes affected.
    2. The spread of a disease process from one part of the body toanother, as in the appearance of neoplasms in parts of the bodyremote from the site of the primary tumor; results from disseminationof tumor cells by the lymphatics or blood vessels or by directextension through serous cavities or subarachnoid or other spaces.
    3. Transportation of bacteria from one part of the body to another,through the bloodstream (hematogenous metastasis) or throughlymph channels (lymphogenous metastasis).

Synonym(s): secondaries (1)
    [G. a removing, fr. meta, in the midst of, + stasis, a placing]

https://medical-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/Metastasis

7. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Not sure why you seem to think I don't understand metastasis. The point I have tried to make is that in accepted practice, a local lymph node does not constitute "Metastatic Breast Cancer." If you google that term, you will find that it is used to designate Stage 4, terminal metastasis to other organs. A local lymph node metastasis does not equal MBC.

And that is all I am going to say about that.

Faye Fox likes this.
  8. Thomas Windom

Registered

One more thing, if you use Google scholar to search the medical literature, you can find countless papers that speak of metastasis to the lymph nodes. It is very common.

Example…
    …”we compared the gene expression profiles of 15 primary breast carcinomas and their matching lymph node metastases”

https://www.nature.com/articles/6602794

9. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

Defining metastasis as meaning simply to spread, in writing a research paper, is different than the assigned meaning accepted by the ruling Board of Oncologists and cancer clinics.

Beth and I are speaking from a patient's point of view and what is accepted as a diagnosis. This discussion started because you said your wife had Metastasis Breast Cancer and it was stage 3. Beth having recently, run the gambit of just about everything that stage 3 breast cancer treatment has to offer, took issue with your reference that stage 3 is called metastasis as a diagnosis She is 100% correct.

You would be doing women with stage 4 breast cancer diagnostically labeled Metastasis (to indicate that it has spread to distant parts of the body in most cases other organs), a great disrespect to say your wife has MBC stage 3 (when stage 3 is clearly defined as being "local" or by tissue or nodes).

The reason is the presentation of stage 4 breast cancer presents several issues that stage 3 doesn't. For diagnosis purposes, the Board of Oncology has ruled that only stage 4 cancer, regardless of its original location, can be diagnosed as metastatic cancer.

Again it would be very disrespectful for your wife to go to a MBC support group claiming she had MBC with a diagnosis of stage 3.

10. Richard Whiting

Richard Whiting Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Ladies, I realize that this thread is about breast cancer, and I hope that you don't mind if I ask a question ? But i happened to notice this thread about the lymphatic system and cancer.

About a week ago I noticed a slight swelling on my neck. Area is just behind the ear lobe, and slightly lower. It first there was one swelling, about the size of 1/2 a pea. Two days later, a second one appeared about an inch away.

There is no pain , nor any discoloration of the skin. Though there is a very, very slight itching. Does not feel at all like a pimple. There is some slight tenderness.

Question: Does this sound like a serious matter ?

Faye Fox likes this.
  11. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

It might be and I would sure get your PCP to check it out as soon as possible. It might just be a benign cyst, but again it might not. Get it checked pronto.

12. Richard Whiting

Registered

Unfortunately, I have no PCP , nor even any health insurance.

13. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Lumps behind the ear can often be caused by colds, the flu, strep throat or respiratory infections. That's because an infection can cause the lymph nodes behind your ears to become swollen and inflamed. Most of the time, swollen glands are not a cause for concern.

Faye Fox and Richard Whiting like this.
  14. Richard Whiting

Registered

I have no cold or flu, nor strep throat. Though I may possibly have some infection.
    I have been reading up on swollen lymph nodes and I ran across an article that said, "you can sometimes drain lymph nodes by applying warm compress. I tried that and I was able to shrink one of them dramatically. " I'll keep this up and see what happens.

15. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Good job!

Faye Fox likes this.