The Low Carb Diet Is It Safe For Everyone

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Sandy Wood, Feb 24, 2016.

1. Terry Page

Terry Page Supreme Member
    Registered

Yes as Steve said, it's under More Options as well @Kate Ellery

Screenshot 2016-02-26 at 9.jpg

2. Kate Ellery

Kate Ellery Supreme Member
    Registered

Thank you,I've managed to find "Watch Thread "

3. Kate Ellery

Kate Ellery Supreme Member
    Registered

Terry Page likes this.
  4. Terry Page

Registered

I did try the Atkin's type diet/lifestyle limiting carbs., several times during the '90s not really to lose weight, but a group of us were experimenting with healthier living. I react too well to restricting carbs and lose weight very rapidly and slip into ketosis and become ill, so don't try it any more.
    I eat a sensible balanced diet with all food groups included and have fasting days, so my weight is stable at around 155 lbs. If I restrict carbs I drop rapidly towards 140 lbs and feel ill, I guess all our metabolisms are different.

Ketosis
    If the diet is changed from one that is high in carbohydrates to one that does not provide sufficient carbohydrate to replenish glycogen stores, the body goes through a set of stages to enter ketosis. During the initial stages of this process, blood glucose levels are maintained through gluconeogenesis, and the adult brain does not burn ketones. However, the brain makes immediate use of ketones for lipid synthesis in the brain. After about 48 hours of this process, the brain starts burning ketones in order to more directly use the energy from the fat stores that are being depended upon, and to reserve the glucose only for its absolute needs, thus avoiding the depletion of the body's protein store in the muscles.

5. Terry Page

Registered

I did try the Atkin's type diet/lifestyle limiting carbs., several times during the '90s not really to lose weight, but a group of us were experimenting with healthier living. I react too well to restricting carbs and lose weight very rapidly and slip into ketosis and become ill, so don't try it any more.
    I eat a sensible balanced diet with all food groups included and have fasting days, so my weight is stable at around 155 lbs. If I restrict carbs I drop rapidly towards 140 lbs and feel ill, I guess all our metabolisms are different.

Ketosis
    If the diet is changed from one that is high in carbohydrates to one that does not provide sufficient carbohydrate to replenish glycogen stores, the body goes through a set of stages to enter ketosis. During the initial stages of this process, blood glucose levels are maintained through gluconeogenesis, and the adult brain does not burn ketones. However, the brain makes immediate use of ketones for lipid synthesis in the brain. After about 48 hours of this process, the brain starts burning ketones in order to more directly use the energy from the fat stores that are being depended upon, and to reserve the glucose only for its absolute needs, thus avoiding the depletion of the body's protein store in the muscles.

Diane Lane likes this.
  6. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Drs. Richard and Rachael Heller have written several books about the relationship between a modified low-carb eating plan, and how it can help not only diabetics; but also people with many other illnesses . The basic idea is NOT to eliminate carbs completely, but to eliminate the refined carbs like sugar and starches that come from sweet and flour products (breads, pastries, etc.)
    Carbs are lowered, especially at first, but you still eat healthy foods , and many (such as non-starchy veggies) are almost unlimited.
    Fruits in moderation, because they have more sugar .
    When you eat a dessert-type food, your body compensates by producing more insulin to prepare for the sugar dump that is about to happen. Insulin is the hormone that stores fat. If you only eat an apple (for example), that hyper-insulin reaction is not triggered, especially if you have not been eating high-carb foods.

If you can keep from pulling the "insulin trigger", then your body does not think it has to store the blood sugar as fats. Plus, when it does trigger insulin, and stores all of the blood sugar as fat, then your body signals for even more food because the blood sugar is now too low.
    This is why it can help type two diabetics, because it normalizes their insulin needs.

The Hellers's have several books, most focus on weight loss; but one is called "Healthy for Life" and it is basically good for anyone who wants to live healthier and keep their blood sugar under control.

7. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

I am not as strict with it as I used to be, but at one point, I cut back my refined carbohydrate intake quite a bit, and began eating more protein. I've always loved vegetables, so eating them is not a problem for me. I also love fruit, but I eat more vegetables than fruit. I had a problem with hypoglycemia years ago, wherein my blood sugar would spike when I ate carbohydrates, particularly cold cereal. It would then plunge, leaving me dizzy, sweating, and feeling as if I were going to pass out.

I was rushing through my morning routine at that point, working full time and also attending school almost full time, and it took a toll on my body. I had to learn to slow down, eat better, and increase my exercise, even though I always walked on a daily basis, and also worked out. Sometimes small changes can go a long way. It all depends on your starting point, and where you need or want to be.

@Steve North Congratulations, Steve, you've come a long way and made great progress!

Kate Ellery and Ina I. Wonder like this.
  8. Steve North

Steve North Supreme Member
    Registered

Thanks Diane..
    I didn't gain all those pounds overnight and it didn't take overnight to lose them...
    With the help of Low Carb, I manage to keep the weight off....

My Low Carb forum is a real help... It keeps me honest...

9. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

An honest person nowadays is a definite "find"! An honest "weight-loser" is a boon to all trying! Thank you! Frank

10. Sandy Wood

Sandy Wood Veteran Member
    Registered

When I used the word diet, I was talking about the change in what I was eating to a healthier group of foods. It is a new lifestyle way of eating. I think some people try to change rapidly and it is very important to get some carbs to keep your PH levels in a safe range.
    The acidity or alkalinity of a substance is measured using pH. The pH scale runs from 0 to 14, with 0 being the most acidic, 14 being the most alkaline, and 7 being neutral. To survive, our bodies must maintain the pH very close to 7.4, which is just on the alkaline side of neutral. If your body’s pH varies too much from this ideal, it becomes difficult for various enzymes to function properly.
    Symptoms of Over-Acidity
    • Constant fatigue
    • Easily running out of breath
    • Frequent sighing
    • Muscle pain or cramping after walking short distances
    • Often feeling like you can’t get enough air
    you can’t tell if you're too acidic using these criteria, there's a simple and fairly accurate way to test yourself. Just check the pH of your saliva using pH Hydrion test strips or paper. Saliva closely parallels the blood when it comes to pH. Compare your results to these benchmarks:
    • Normal blood pH = 7.4
    • Normal saliva pH = 6.5 to 7.0

If your saliva pH consistently falls below 6.5, you are acidic. If it consistently reads above 7.0, you could be too alkaline
    You can also use urinary test strips to be sure your in the safe zone.

If your balance gets to out of wack it can effect your kidneys and you can end up with bad infections or worse. So by maintaining a safe balance you should do fine on the changes in your food diet.

Terry Page and Yvonne Smith like this.
  11. Martin Alonzo

Martin Alonzo Supreme Member
    Registered

A low carbohydrate diet with full nutrition also has another reason. It has been proven that in animals and we are animals too that when they kept the nutrition level the same and decreased the carbohydrate it has doubled or tripled life span.
    Nutrition is important but calories are not your body can turn fat into energy.
    A life style change is more important than a diet. This is my life style.
    BAD FOODS:
    Wheat
    Barley
    Rye
    Oats, oatmeal – even if it says that it is Gluten Free.
    Fried Food
    Oils—cooking or salad. Yes, this includes Olive Oil!!!
    Well done meat (rare or medium-rare is ok)
    Deli Meat, any nitrates added to meat – tell your butcher NO NITRATES
    GMOs
    Soda not close to meals
    Skin of a baked potato (or yam, or sweet potato). If you boil a potato, you can eat the skins.
    GOOD FOODS:
    Eggs—soft scrambled in butter, soft boiled, poached
    Butter
    Salt
    Dairy
    Fish
    Chicken
    Pork
    Lamb
    Beef—rare/medium rare
    Veggies
    Fruit
    Mixed, Salted Nuts—no peanuts
    Nut Butters—no extra sugar
    Rice
    Millet
    Pure Buckwheat (Isn’t wheat).
    Beans
    Couscous (made from pearl millet only).
    Quinoa
    Corn non GMO
    Coffee, Tea, Green tea, Red wine.

12. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

From time to time, I had been trying a rice-less diet and I believe rice is carbohydrates. I easily lose pounds that way especially in the first week when I can manage to lose 3 pounds and sometimes more depending on the lifestyle - with enough sleep that is okay but when I lack sleep the loss is minimal. However, I cannot last for long with that rice-less diet because there was always the craving as if I was always hungry and I also feel weak at times. And since it interferes with my office job, I have stopped doing that.

13. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I'm lucky that I don't even like rice, I'm more of a potato lover but only eat sweet potatoes on occasion.

Have you tried substituting something else for the rice?

14. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

Rice is a staple of the diet in many parts of the world, but I have learned to question it's overall value. One must eat an awful lot of it to get adequate protein, assuming it is the daily "mainstay". Years ago, my Mother obtained a most delicious recipe for a sort of meaty stew, using small cubes of round steak, browned then cooked in Tomato soup with onion, cut green beans, a most unique taste with that soup, very little water was used, leaving a more gravy-like quality. It was served over rice. At that time, I could three or four huge helpings. Never gained weight, but then I played baseball seven days a week........Loving rice was a learned thing. I no longer eat it often.

15. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Supreme Member
    Registered

@ Martin Alonzo I eat a varied diet that includes everything on BOTH your lists, except sodas, Under cooked meat and I try to avoid GMOs. Wheat is one of the four most consumed foods worldwide. Less than one percent of the population have a problem eating wheat. Variety is the key. Not too much of any food, but some of all that's available.