The Lion Shall Lie Down With The Lamb, Or Not?

Discussion in 'Faith & Religion' started by Yvonne Smith, May 23, 2016.

1. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

We have all heard about this happening during the Millenium, and there are many beautiful pictures showing the lion lying down with the lamb, and even ministries focused around that, or with that as maybe part of their name.
    Now, here is the reason for this thread......... Where in the Bible does it specifically say this ?

A Facebook friend had just referred to this event in in one of his posts about a week ago, and then he said that when he went to look at that chapter (Isaiah 65:25, Isaiah 11:6) again today, and it doesn't say that (anymore).
    So then I looked to see, and it doesn't say that the lion shall lie down with the lamb. It says the WOLF will lie down with the lamb.
    Does anyone know where (and if) their Bible actually says these words ? Do you remember reading it before and it has changed now ?
    Mandela Effect, anyone ?
    image.jpeg

2. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

I don't think anyone changed it. I don't believe it ever said that. There are a lot of things that we think the Bible says that it doesn't really say, such as that the animals went into the ark two by two before the flood. Isaiah 65:25 mentions the lion and the lamb in the same sentence, but does not say that they will lie down together, although the idea of it is there.

The wolf and the lamb shall graze together, and the lion shall eat straw like the ox; and dust shall be the serpent’s food. -- Isaiah 65:25

Isaiah 11:6 comes closer.

The wolf also shall dwell with the lamb, the leopard shall lie down with the young goat, the calf and the young lion and the fatling together; and a little child shall lead them. – Isaiah 11:6

3. Yvonne Smith

I suppose that I should have put this topic in the Conspiracy thread, and if you think it should be moved there, please do that , @Ken Anderson . It just intrigued me because reading about the Mandela effect has always interested me; but it never occurred to me that some of the Bible verses that I remember learning and repeating as a child, might someday be different than I remember learning them.
    The Lord's Prayer , for example.
    I learned it this way, "Thy kingdom come, thy will be done, on earth as it is in heaven". Now it reads IN earth instead of ON earth.
    Weird !
    And the story about not putting new wine in old wineskins, now it says not to put them in bottles. They used bottles for wine back in Jesus' day ?

I watched this video that tells about some of the differences from what the narrator remembers from his childhood. He said that ALL of the Bibles are different now, not just ones that are printed now. So, anything that we don't have a different memory of learning (like the Lord's Prayer), if we just look it up, it will have the new version in any Bible, even when it is the same old family Bible you have been reading for years.
    One interesting thing is where he shows the verse about the old wineskins, and the Bible says bottles; but in one of his old books about understanding the Bible, it still quotes it as old wineskins, and not bottles.

This guy is NOT the best video-maker (to my way of thinking); but the information that he presented was worth watching the video.

Ina I. Wonder likes this.
  4. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

"Although the phrase of “the lion shall lie down with the lamb” is one of the more popular quotes from the Bible, it’s really misquoted. In the King James version, it’s the wolf that dwells with the lamb, and it’s a leopard that lies down with a kid, and “the calf and the young lion and the fatling together.” (Isaiah 11:6)

"But in today’s world, there really is a lion that lies down with a calf…in fact, she adopted and nurtured a total of five antelope calves.

"It’s a remarkable story of the love of one animal for another, and it seems to personify the truth that not all natural enemies are exactly that—natural and unavoidable enemies".

5. Ken Anderson

I think what you're noticing, @Yvonne Smith, are different translations. When you and I were children, more churches used the King James Version. Now, there are relatively few that do. The Lord's Prayer in the King James, and the New King James for that matter, still read "on earth," and you'll probably find "wineskins" there too. Newer versions have probably replaced "wineskins" with "bottles" because everyone knows what a bottle is, while many would not know what a wineskin is. After all, it did serve the purpose of a bottle, so it's not an inaccurate translation.

6. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

The idea was that if you put new wine into old wine skins, the old wine skin would burst. It reads rather silly to say: "Neither do men put new wine into old bottles: else the bottles break, …" (Matthew 9:17)

7. Yvonne Smith

I thought that maybe it was a translation thing, too, @Ken Anderson . However, when I looked it up in my old KJV Bible, it does say "in earth" and not "on earth" . Look in your Bible and tell me what it says, and see if it is still the same as you are saying it is.

It is not the idea of the word being translated differently, but the possibility that our Bibles do not say the same things as they used to say.
    Since the KJV used to read wineskins, it should still read that same way, even if newer versions read differently. Like @Joe Riley pointed out, some of the changes do not even make much sense, like the wineskin/bottles one does.
    The video points out several other examples of these kinds of changes. I was not too worried about the Mandela effect when it was just things like whether the bear family was "Bearenstein Bears" or "Bearenstain Bears", and stuff like that ; but when our Holy Bible reads differently, then it does concern me.

Last edited: May 24, 2016
  8. Ken Anderson

Mine says "on earth" and I just bought it a few years ago. It is the New King James Version. I am going to be showing some friends from California around Maine for the next week so I can't check my KJV but I will when I get home. I have several KJV Bibles, new and old.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  9. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

@Yvonne Smith Here's the translations of The Lord's Prayer in most of the Bible translations they have today. http://www.csdirectory.com/biblestudy/lords-prayer.pdf