The Leftovers

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Ken Anderson, Jan 2, 2018.

1. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I am watching a series through Netflix DVDs called The Leftovers, that ran from 2014 to 2017. I guess it’s reasonably well acted, and it has an effective storyline, that begins with the sudden disappearance of 2% of the population.

The problem is that I am not interested in any of the characters. Not one major character appeals to me, and that makes a difference, particularly in a series. The main character is the police chief, and I don't like him. I am on the seventh episode of the first season and, although I do have an interest in the story, I don’t know if I’ll watch the whole thing.

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  2. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I'll have to take a look...

3. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Never mind, it's not on Netflix and I'd have to pay on Amazon video. Looks interesting though, I like the concept.

4. Ken Anderson

Yeah, Netflix has it but only on DVD. They do this so people like me will pay for both the DVD and the streaming options.

5. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I don't watch DVDs...

Maybe if I'm desperate enough I'll rent or buy one episode on Amazon and see if it's worth the money.

6. Ken Anderson

So far, I'm still watching it. I don't yet know what caused the disappearance, and I'm interested in that, and there is also a cult group who dress in white, rarely speak, and are always smoking cigarettes, so I'd like to know what they'are all about too. There is also a pastor who is somewhat interesting, but he's not at all likable.

7. Ken Anderson

I gave up after the third episode of the second season. The second season started out with a dying woman with a baby, neither of whom were part of the first season. Then they panned up from where her body was lying, to some young girls swimming, unaware of the body around the bend. Then we followed them home, and I found out they were in Texas.

The first season took place in New York, and the tie-in was not clear to me. Of course, I don't sit on a couch and watch it. Rather, I am working at the same time so I sometimes cannot follow plots that are too complex, or which involve too many switches. In the second episode of the second season, the preacher from the first season showed up as a guest preacher at this place in Texas. Then the third episode began back in New York. Quite likely they were going to tie it all together at some point, but it wasn't making any sense to me so I gave up on it.