The Ice Machine Is Awesome!

Discussion in 'Gadgets & Tech Talk' started by Yvonne Smith, Apr 20, 2016.

1. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I mentioned about getting this in another thread; but since we are enjoying it SO much, I wanted to talk about this again in its own thread.
    We both use a lot of ice in the summer, and our refrigerator doesn't make ice, so part of the summertime tasks is keeping all of the ice cube trays filled, and the cubes emptied into the ice basket in the freezer. I have always wanted one of those awesome double door refrigerators that make ice, crush it and give you a glass of ice cold water.
    Not that making ice is a bad thing; but still....

Anyway, we got that gift card from Sam's club, and they had one of the pretty little red Igloo ice makers on sale for $89; so we splurged and got one.
    We just love it !
    It is fairly fast to make ice, and not noisy. While it does not make a huge amount of ice, it does keep the little basket full so there is always fresh ice cubes for us to put in the ice tea or whatever we are drinking.
    The small size cubes are about the size of my little finger, and maybe 2" long, and the large size are jut a little bit bigger than that.
    Since we live in the city and the water here is treated, we always use a filter, and then we put the filtered water into the icemaker.
    The unit is about 2 foot long and maybe a foot wide, and just sits on the counter-top; so it does not take up a lot of room either. I would definitely recommend this for anyone who loves ice and does not have an ice maker in their refrigerator.

image.jpeg

Joe Riley and Diane Lane like this.
  2. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

3. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

That's really cute, and the price sounds reasonable. I looked into them a while back, because my mom loves crushed ice, but doesn't have an ice maker on her fridge. She decided she doesn't have enough counter space to put one of these on, though. That's a common complaint among people I know. I like the retro design, that should appeal to many these days.

4. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

Our fridge has an ice maker but H H Gregg didn't do installation and it would cost to have it hooked up. I just use the ice trays about four of them since there really isn't a large demand for ice between the two of us. Sometimes it accidentally gets cut on and you can here the hum and clicking like it's making ice. Of course I'm the only one that knows this :rolleyes:

Joe Riley likes this.
  5. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

You mean the water line was not connected, and it is making a "dry run"?

6. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

Exactly. I use to be concerned but as long as there is no water leaking I'm okay.

7. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Actually, our refrigerator is like yours, @Von Jones , and it has the little ice maker up in the corner; but it is not connected. There was apparently a leak in the line somewhere, and Bobby said that it would be a hard job to try and find out where the problem is and put in all new lines, and it is not really close to where the water line is at even.
    Or maybe it is, since the hot water tank is just behind the wall that is in back of the refrigerator.
    In any case, the Igloo does what it is supposed to do, and it is handy to use. The freezer should keep cooler now, too, since we are not getting into the freezer for ice all of the time.