The How And Why Of Earthquakes

Discussion in 'Science & Nature' started by Babs Hunt, Apr 19, 2016.

1. Martin Alonzo

Martin Alonzo Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Yvonne Earthquakes are very unpredictable and the science on earthquakes is questionable. I live in an earthquake area not saying I expect one. One hit Puerto Plata a few years back that cracked the walls in my cement block walls I needed to have them put in special reinforcement in case it happened again. We live on the North coast of the DR and we felt the earthquake that hit Puerto Prince Haiti it is on the south part of Haiti. When we had the earthquake here people would not go back into their homes in fear of another. I had to educate the locals on earthquakes 95% of the time the first is the most deadly and then you have aftershocks that are less intense. So I would tell them if you survived the first and did not have damage to your home you ere petty safe. Lots of people make a big fuss over earthquake swarms I have seen earthquake swarms north of Puerto Rico for 15 years and still nothing even Puerto Rico has daily earthquakes. Yellow stone have been over due for a gigantic earthquake for hundreds of years and ever so often someone will bring that up and start a panic all over again. Here is a earthquake map of just the last 7 days north of Puerto Rico and this has been the same for 15 years.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  2. Martin Alonzo

Martin Alonzo Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

3. Tim Burr

Tim Burr Well-Known Member
    Registered

Experienced a 7.75 quake on the Island of Shemya, AK Feb. 1, 1975.
    We lost the only way on or off the island, the runway, for quite awhile.
    Lots of watermain breaks. Put a damper on us watching the 'other guys'
    during the cold war.

Was living in Moreno Valley for the Northridge quake in 1994.
    That one throw us out of bed at 4:30 am and made the house unlivable.

Think I'm pretty much done with those things. ( I hope... ):)

4. Gloria Mitchell

Gloria Mitchell Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Never been in a earthquake. Once as a child felt what they called a tremor. However about 25 miles from where we live they have been having earthquakes fairly regular . I know someone who works at the oilfields in various areas. He over sees fracking machinery. He told me without doubt that fracking enables the cause if earthquakes. If you could see what they are doing and pumping the earth full of...you to would have no doubt.
    He hates this job that he and his crew work sometimes 36 to 40 hours straight.Which is unlawful but they get away with it. Once he gets some personal issues taken care of he hopes to find another job.

5. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I live in Oklahoma and we have many small quakes, the largest was a 5.3 or 5.4 but our quakes are not like the major quakes in the mountains or along the coasts. Ours are not major faults. I was in a quake in California on the fourth floor of a hotel, sitting a a table, sipping a vodka tonic planning my work schedule for the following day, when the glass started vibrating toward the edge of the table. I put it back studying a map of the LA area. the glass vibes to the edge of the table and I caught it before it fell to the floor. I looked up and my light fixture was swaying about three foot ark. I hurried down the stairs to the bar. Everyone was having a good time. Everyone laughed at me.

I was on a bridge inTokyo, Japan, standing on a river bridge in 1953 when the bridge started shaking, I looked around to see everyone running off the bridge, I don't know how large it was but even armed forces radio was talking about it. I suppose I'd not like to live in California.

I don't know the science of these tectonic plates but I thought when one tried to dive under another or did, it could cause a quake. Many others on here have a better grasp than I.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2017
    Martin Alonzo likes this.
  6. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

It appears that they are doing another large-scale earthquake drill in Western Washington, and maybe others on the west coast. I know that they have been preparing for a large quake that could happen anywhere from California to Alaska, and it seems like they are doing more of the drills in case of one.
    Last spring was a large drill that involved several states , including Idaho, where my son lives. Not that they think the earthquake will affect them that far away; but that the quake, when it happens, will so devastate the western part of the state that all of the emergency workers will have to be flown in from other surrounding states.
    Both I-90 and I-5 , the main freeways for Washington , would be shut down from the disaster, and there would also be flooding, and probably a tsunami as well.
    They are having another preparedness drill, and one always wonders if they know something the rest of us don't know.

7. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Veteran Member
    Registered

Ive lived in California for 14 years and have felt 2, they were less than a 5. It was more of a shifting than a shaking if I recall.
    I used to have an earthquake site in my favorites and would check it occasionally. There are earthquake every day..just not very big.

I quit checking after a few years and will only look if I felt something.

Guess we're due for a big one but it's something I don't worry or think about.

In Fresno I'm far from the ocean and I also don't use I-5 or I-90.

8. Ted Richards

Ted Richards Well-Known Member
    Registered

Yes a fairly big one in 1956 in San Diego when I was serving in the Navy. Then a few minor ones when we lived in the Los Angeles area. Now I live in north-central B.C. and a few years ago we felt one here. Turns out the epicentre was 200 miles west of us off Haida Gwai (formerly Prince Charlotte Islands). Yep, that area is in the Ring Of Fire too.

Then there are the isolated crust fractures such as:
    1811–12 New Madrid earthquakes - Wikipedia
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1811–12_New_Madrid_earthquakes
    The 1811–12 New Madrid earthquakes were an intense intraplate earthquake series beginning ... They, as well as the seismic zone of their occurrence, were named for theMississippi River town of New Madrid, then part of the Louisiana ...
    That was a really nasty one and could happen again.

9. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Veteran Member
    Registered

During my twelve years in California, I never noticed any of the earthquakes we had. Once my brother called from Michigan to ask if I was alright. Seems he had heard the news about an earthquake that affected the part of California where I was living at the time. However, I was watching television and hadn't noticed the quake. Only after he called, I could recall having felt something but it could have been a large truck going by. I didn't think anything of it.

Frank Sanoica likes this.