The Hiding Place

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Ken Anderson, Nov 1, 2019.

1. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I’m watching a movie called The Hiding Place. No, it’s not the Corrie Ten Boom movie, although that one was good too, but a better book. This one was produced in 2000 and stars Timothy Bottoms, Kim Hunter, and Kim Greist.

Kim Hunter is amazing in her role as the aging mother of the character played by Timothy Bottoms. He visits his mother, as he always does on Saturdays, to find that something has gone awry with her mind. I haven’t completed the movie yet, and am watching it right now, but his mother is all over the place as, at one moment, she is in the current time, recognizing her son as who he is but, in the next, she is trying to get him dressed for school, or thinks he’s her husband. She does a fantastic job of playing the part of someone who is bouncing back and forth in time and reality, within her mind, playing it in a manner that comes off as being simultaneously tragic and amusing.

As with most of the movies (and series) that I watch, it’s not a new movie, so please don’t yell at me for reviewing an old movie, but it’s on Amazon Prime, and probably elsewhere.

The gist of the movie is that the daughter-in-law wants her sent away to a home, but she vehemently does not want to be put in a home, and her son is left wrestling with trying to decide what the right decision is. He would like to have his mother stay with him but his wife won't have it. She threatens to divorce him before allowing her mother-in-law to live with the family. At the same time, the woman doesn't know the place or the time she is living in from one moment to the next.

It is a remarkable examination of the issues surrounding "what to do with mom."

Last edited: Nov 1, 2019
    Bess Barber likes this.
  2. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

It's unfortunate that they named the movie as they did because it's pretty much impossible to find anything about it, given that everything is dominated by the Corrie Ten Boom stuff. I gave up trying to find a clip on Youtube because all I can find is the Corrie Ten Boom story.

Bess Barber likes this.
  3. Bess Barber

Bess Barber Veteran Member
    Task Force Registered

It is a really good movie!! I agree about the name, somehow, it gives off the vibe of a garden (like Secret Garden) instead of the horrible situation they were really in. Many Jews lived like this during the war. The one about the family that lived in a hole in the ground in a field is great as well. I forgot the name of it. Later, they made a documentary about it.