The Great Winter Storm Of 2016.....

Discussion in 'Weather & Natural Disasters' started by Yvonne Smith, Jan 22, 2016.

1. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

Hope you don't have to go anywhere!

Ruby Begonia likes this.
  2. Ruby Begonia

Ruby Begonia Supreme Member
    Registered

Where is your area, Pat? Hoping you keep power.

3. Ruby Begonia

Registered

No. I work Sat. but I work from home, thanks.

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  4. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

That's a relief then!

Ruby Begonia likes this.
  5. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina Isobe Veteran Member
    Registered

:oops:It's like when we are warned for days too about the bad weather coming our way like 3 hurricanes one after the other like last year. We stock up, get everything tied down outside, see to our picture windows and pray that the storm ends before it hits land or never hit land anywhere! I also ask my twitter and facebook audience to pray for us too. It works for the 3 hurricanes that was headed for Hawaii veered away from land and dissipated safely out at sea! Whew!!!!!!!!!! Take care and our prayers for safer and better weather for all. Take care, keep safe and warm & out of harms way! God help us all, in the name of Christ, amen.

Ruby Begonia likes this.
  6. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

Ruby Begonia likes this.
  7. Ruby Begonia

Registered

Well, it's snowing like crazy in CT. Wind is high. Not much accumulation yet, it starts and slows, then starts again.

I'm wondering about my grandson. He came home from work early, then took off again before I could see him and has been gone about 3 hours now. I just hope he's not stuck somewhere. To make matters worse he lost his cell phone the other day and hasn't gotten another yet. Sheesh.

8. Ruby Begonia

Registered

Whew, he just came in and said the roads are not bad at all, yet. :)

Bonnie Thomas and Chrissy Cross like this.
  9. Ruby Begonia

Registered

10. Bonnie Thomas

Bonnie Thomas Veteran Member
    Registered

A friend on Long Island, who has lived there all her life, just sold her home a couple weeks ago. She's packing up and relocating down to SE Texas next weekend. ... that is, if she can get out alright.
    Guess she is getting one last blizzard to remember Long Island, NY ...

Ruby Begonia and Chrissy Cross like this.
  11. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Supreme Member
    Registered

Washington, D.C. is completely shut down except for the guards at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier. This makes me feel good in two ways.
    1. Our military is always on duty no matter the weather which makes me feel safe.

2. Our government is not on duty due to the weather which makes me feel even safer.

12. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

I've been reading in the news about the horrible snow storms and the loss of lives some of you are experiencing, really tragic, and so frightening and especially so for the elderly and for those who live alone.

Be careful out there , and just pray it doesn't last much longer.

Ruby Begonia and Sheldon Scott like this.
  13. Bonnie Thomas

Bonnie Thomas Veteran Member
    Registered

To me, the scariest thing is ice on the power lines, and weighed tree limbs coming down. Having to deal with outages for any length of time in freezing weather is a nightmare.

Yvonne Smith and Ruby Begonia like this.
  14. Ruby Begonia

Registered

My area wasn't greatly impacted. GS and I are bickering over the amount of snow accumulation here..... I say 4 inches, he says 5.

He was cleaning off our cars at 4:30 am and had to be at work at 5am. I got doggie out at 7:30 am and went out at 10:30 to clear roads. When I got back, the plows had everything cleaned up.

So many people south of us suffered greatly. This was a huge and nasty storm!

15. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I totally agree with you about ice storms, @Bonnie Thomas ! Years ago, when Bobby and I were first married, and we were living and working at a small homeless mission in Charlotte , NC; there was a terrible ice storm. It was either late 2001, or early 2002, I forget which.
    The ice storm itself was not the worst part, because it came, knocked all of the power out, and broke the tree limbs, and then it warmed up and the ice went away.
    However, for almost a week afterwards, most of Charlotte was without power, and roads were closed with the downed power lines and tree limbs.
    The houses were also without heat, and we had three houses full of homeless people to try and shelter and feed through this ordeal.
    There was a generator, but it would only work for a couple hours at a time, and then it had to be turned off, and sometimes, Bobby had to fix it again before it would run.

When we had the generator on, I would make one of the huge pots of coffee for the guys, and cook something simple (soup) on the stove . We also could run the gas furnace at the house we stayed at, because it only needed electricity to make the gas furnace operate; but that was only when the generator was turned on.
    Everyone brought over their blankets and slept on the floor in that one house, except for a few guys who were able to stay in one of the other houses that had a small gas heater that did not require electricity to make it run.
    We had a few candles and a couple of flashlights that we used to see in the dark with; but no one stayed up late anyway.
    We were definitely glad when they got the roads cleared, and the power back on again !

Bonnie Thomas likes this.