The Great Sauerkraut Experiment Has Begun

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Yvonne Smith, Aug 14, 2016.

1. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

I do it just the opposite. We call them refrigerator pickles or whatever. But I use vinegar. I just don't do traditional canning. My lactose tomatoes went into the garbage too. I have not gotten to the end with my honey fermented garlic but after only one week they tasted like, ugh, garlic. They have to be at room temperature.

Don Alaska and Beth Gallagher like this.
  2. Kate Ellery

Kate Ellery Supreme Member
    Registered

Do you use a starter ? @Beth Gallagher or just salt ?
    I’ve watched a few videos/ read books on the subject and ….I would not risk just using salt
    TBH I didn’t even try salt from the start ..I’ve always used a starter due to salt sensitive BP issues
    Reading this thread reminded me I haven’t put my latest kombucha batch in the fridge , was suppose to put it in fridge yesterday so at least it’s only a day late

3. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

I think cabbage is safe to do with salt but so many of us are sensitive. Hubby made up an 8 gallon crock. We could not even get it half finished.

Don Alaska likes this.
  4. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I just used the salt brine, Kate. I don't have any starter since this was my first attempt. Most of the instructions I read use salt and water. I did use some stuff called "Pickle Crisp" (calcium chloride) that is supposed to keep the cucumbers from getting limp, haha. Next time I'll leave that out.

upload_2022-12-13_18-17-6.png

Don Alaska likes this.
  5. Kate Ellery

Registered

I’m guilty of letting the preserving ( fermenting ) the veggie culture on the back burner for months cause it’s been so cold here for so long we are still eating winter meals ……and still waiting for spring …..only a few days out from our offical summer …..we are still dressed in layers of winter clothing in Dec ..where we’d normally expect to be having mid to high 30’s or maybe into low 40’s ….(96 ~ 105 F ) instead it’s 18 c - 63 f today AGAIN

6. Kate Ellery

Registered

I’ve successfully pickled cucumbers that were reasonably crisp by only using the “hard parts of cucumber “
    what I mean by that is

even when making a fresh salad ……

I use a teaspoon and scrape the mushy seeds out before using so you are are only using the more solid crunchy bits of the vegetable

7. Krystal Shay

Krystal Shay Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

My grandma told me the key to keeping pickles crisp is to pick the cukes straight from the vine, and can them the same day. I canned my pickles this way for years, when I had a garden. Tender skins and crisp crunchy pickles in every bite. But I know that is an impossible task to do when you don't have a garden. All this pickling talk, has me missing canned dill pickles. I may have to try and plant a few seeds next summer. That is what my brain is telling me right now. I will see if my body agrees with that thought next year.:D

8. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I tried doing pickles once, @Beth Gallagher , and mine turned about about the same way as yours. They smelled wonderful and like dill; but were soft and mushy.
    I think I tried the carrots once, too, and didn’t like how they turned out. I like the idea of kimchi, but have not ever eaten any that i liked to eat, whether bought or made by me.

Don Alaska and Kate Ellery like this.
  9. Beth Gallagher

Registered

I had the same thought, Krys. I haven't had a vegetable garden in a few years now but I think I might try a small plot in the spring. Maybe. Or not. :D

Don Alaska and Krystal Shay like this.
  10. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Yeah, I'm regretting this foray into fermenting, haha. I don't even like sauerkraut so I probably won't try that. The good news is, the 1-gallon crocks make good utensil holders. :D

11. Kate Ellery

Registered

I successfully grow cucumbers in a pot , altho they are struggling this spring / summer cause it’s been to cold for them ….I’ll go take a photo ..

Im not fond of cabbage it affects my gut …..but other fermented veggies are good like cauliflower / broccoli carrots slices are good ……
    I don’t eat a great deal of FV so the trick is not to make to much at a time

Last edited: Dec 14, 2022
    Don Alaska likes this.
  12. Kate Ellery

Registered

13. Kate Ellery

Registered

My smaller raised garden bed

8DD6B808-5416-43B9-AD43-9E21CB91BC69.jpeg

14. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I like to see all the folks getting inspired to grow something! Nice little garden, @Kate Ellery!!

Krystal Shay and Kate Ellery like this.
  15. Kate Ellery

Registered

4EC3EBB4-C247-4016-A044-DC87B1FA29AC.jpeg That tiny garden ( in previous post ) has lettuce / silver beet / tomatoes / eggplant / capsicums/ mini spinach

We bought the raised garden bed from Aldi .

I have a lager one around the other side of the house that hubby made ( pictured )
    but the plants in that garden are very slow growing and I think it’s got to do with out very cool late spring / early summer temps ,we are still wearing jumpers and wintery long pants

I gave all of the veggies a dose of seasol yesterday so hopefully it will give them a boost
    @Don Alaska

Last edited: Dec 14, 2022
    Don Alaska likes this.