The Good News Thread

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Babs Hunt, Apr 16, 2016.

1. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

Last edited: Apr 16, 2016
  2. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

awwwww I've heard a few stories like that, how lovely is that? :)

Yvonne Smith and Babs Hunt like this.
  3. Bonnie Thomas

Bonnie Thomas Veteran Member
    Registered

4. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

Yvonne Smith and Babs Hunt like this.
  5. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

Holly Saunders likes this.
  6. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

7. Gary Ridenour

Gary Ridenour Veteran Member
    Registered

Diane Lane likes this.
  8. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

9. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

Angie Tyma may have celebrated 89 different birthdays, but this one tops them all.

The senior has lived in the same house in Hudson, Florida for the last 35 years—a home purchased by a family friend in Europe after her Angie’s husband had died.

Last month, she was informed that the home she was renting had fallen into foreclosure, due to lack of payments on the mortgage.

Angie – and all of her possessions – were thrown into the streets.

After the senior took up residence in a Day’s Inn hotel room, the neighbors, seeing her furniture in the streets, became determined to bring her home.

Danielle Calder, who lives a few houses away, bought the property for $167,500 so she could become Angie’s landlord.

The Floridian was speechless, after being invited back to her old home, by the surprise waiting for her. Neighbors had collected and stored her possessions from the street and repainted the building before returning them home.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  10. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

Becoming a parent is no easy feat for anyone – but this couple stepped up to the plate by adopting five siblings at once.

On National Adoption Day – November 19th – Brenda and Curt Heuer adopted Brianna, 9, Kristyl, 7, Bradley, 6, Emily, 3, and Kate, 2 so they wouldn’t have to be separated into different foster homes

“We really strove to keep the children together. All the children have left is each other,” Brenda told InsideEdition. “We have the capability. We needed to adopt these kids.”

11. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

Public Raises $100K For Widower Selling Kindling to Pay Wife’s Medical Bills
    by McKinley Corbley - Nov 30, 2016

[​IMG]

80-year-old Kenneth Smith was distraught enough when he recently lost his wife Helen to a drawn-out fight with cancer – but then the medical bills wiped out their savings and money.

So for the last year, Kenneth has been standing in the same spot on the side of the road selling kindling for $5 a bag.

Gulfport, Missouri resident Jessica Pittman empathized with the senior after continuously passing his little outpost on the street.

MORE: 89-yo Man Surprised with $150K After Stranger Sees Him Pushing Popsicle Cart to Make Ends Meet

Touched by the widower’s kindness to strangers, she created a Facebook post requesting locals to support him and buy his wood.

“Last year he was there selling as well but he had his sweet little wife Helen with him,” wrote Pittman. “He was selling to help pay for his wife’s doctor visits and bills. This year he is alone. He said Helen lost her battle to cancer a few weeks ago and he is still selling to cover pay for her doctor bills.”

“My heart breaks every time I pass him. He waves at every single car that passes. On Friday, I was at the stop sign as a funeral procession was passing by. And he was standing alert with his straw hat over his heart.”

RELATED: Touched By His Story, Passenger Raises Thousands so Driver Can See His Son in Olympics

After seeing the Facebook post, Kenneth’s daughter Leslie created a GoFundMe for people who weren’t able to buy the kindling.

Since its creation 9 days ago, the page raised $105,000 from strangers.

Someone of relation to Kenneth named Becky Stewart commented on the page with his reaction.

“My dad just came by and he is as nervous as a cat on a hot tin roof. He said he ‘hoped people did not think he was begging for money.’ I told him people thought he was inspiring. He has always worked hard,” Becky wrote. “Thanks so much for the donations your outpouring of love is what I find truly inspiring.”

12. Diane Lane

Registered

Babs Hunt likes this.
  13. Diane Lane

Registered

Here's another story that was just in the news for the holiday season. It's nice to see police officers reaching out, but I wish they didn't have to do so much of it for people to see the good in their ranks.

Babs Hunt likes this.
  14. Diane Lane

Registered

I can't imagine getting this sort of tip. I'm sure it will make a huge difference in this woman's holiday. I always enjoy seeing tips about people helping others at Christmas, and I wish there were more such incidents and stories like it during the year.

15. Diane Lane

Registered

This little boy has been waiting a LONG time for a loving permanent home, but now he has one. There are so many children languishing in the foster care system just waiting for someone to adopt them, especially those over a certain age. A few of my clients were adopted while I worked in the foster care system, and it was so nice to see people taking an interest in them. It's often the loving, caring foster parents (there are a few) who go that extra mile.

Babs Hunt and Yvonne Smith like this.